Positioning to check tire pressures

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Constant Mesh

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I have OE type short straight valve stems. I rarely put the FJR on the centerstand so I typically measure pressures while on the sidestand.

How do you position the FJR to check pressures?

Do you always check rear pressure while on centerstand?

Where do you like to have wheel/valve stems positioned for easiest checking? If you have angled stems is wheel positioning important for you?

Quickest, most efficient way to get front wheel in the desired gauging position?

Quickest, most efficient way to get front wheel in the desired gauging position?
Put it on the center stand and spin the front tire until the stem is in your preferred position. There is little weight on the front wheel, you can either lift and spin or just spin the wheel and let the tire skid, but it is best to spin in the direction that favors pulling onto the center stand. It doesn't matter which side of the front wheel you check from with a straight stem, both sides are an equal nuisance.

Once the rear wheel is in the air you can put the stem anywhere you want. I find the left side a bit easier to get to without the brake rotor in the way.

Is it really so hard that it is necessary to get into it like this?

^^^ this.

I generally check my tire pressure before a ride, so the bike is usually already on the center stand and on the smooth concrete of the garage floor the front tire spins easy. You have a better than 50% chance that the valve will be on the bottom somewhere, and that makes it accessible if you spend the few dollars to put 90 degree stems on.The rear is easy on the center stand.

Sometimes I'll back the bike out into the drive and check them, which means stopping, seeing where the valves are, then pushing the bike forward or back until the valves are somewhere that can be reached. Again, 90 degree valves make anywhere on the bottom half work. Make sure you put the stems on pointing to the right, the "high" side when on the side stand.

Since I have a compressor with a fill handle that has a gauge, and the hose is on a reel, I just use that every time. That way if it needs a little shot of air it's all hooked up already. What I want to get eventually is a TPMS so I can press a button and know the air pressure without letting any air out. Of course, contrary to what the brainiacs at 345 Park Avenue believe, I still have to add air pressure to my tires when the seasons change and it gets a little cooler in the mornings.
rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with ionbeam. I only ever check when on the centre-stand, not from any imagined pressure difference with the weight on the tyre, simply so I can put the valves where I want.

I can only turn the front wheel by pulling up on the front, it skids on the ground (almost invariably on my garage floor which is smooth). I position the valve at about the 7- or 8-o'clock position looking from the left side of the bike, then I can kneel in front of the bike and position my gauge over the stem.

(Click on image for larger view)

The rear wheel I rotate to put the valve in the 7- or 8-o'clock position from the right side of the bike, access is much easier than the front.

[edit] And I agree with Fred, but without the right-angle stems and I don't trust the gauge on my compressor, its scale is stupidly tiny and in any case reads wrong, I always check with my separate gauge. And always on cold tyres. [/edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
I always have mine airborne. Center stand down and a homemade wheeled dolly under the headers. I wash it like that too. Way easier to clean the rims and top off the pressure when you can spin them. :)

Since I almost always check while on the sidestand I use a chart I created and a four foot "yardstick".

I approach the bike from the right side and make a mental note of where the stems are.

I look on my chart and see how far I need to roll the bike forward or backward to get each stem at the desired position.

I lay the yardstick down on the floor aligned with the bike with one end at the foot of the sidestand.

Looking at the yardstick and the sidestand I roll the bike forward or backward the distance required for optimal gauging.

I chose 80 degrees CW from the top (right side) as optimal for the front tire. For the rear tire I chose 230 degrees CW from the top.

Sometimes I'll back the bike out into the drive and check them, which means stopping, seeing where the valves are, then pushing the bike forward or back until the valves are somewhere that can be reached. Again, 90 degree valves make anywhere on the bottom half work. Make sure you put the stems on pointing to the right, the "high" side when on the side stand.
I have a pair of K&L 83 degree stems to install with new tires. Am seriously thinking about orienting straight forward. When the time comes I'm going to see how that works with my air gage and Garmin TPMS.

I always check on the side stand. I look at the stems and roll it back or forward from memory.

I used to always use a center stand. When I bought bikes without center stands, I would install a center stand.

Now I wouldn't fool with a center stand on a bet. It's just one more step in the on off routine, and I'm too lazy to fool with it.

FWIW, the best bike I ever had for center stand was the ST1100. That bike would just hop up on the stand on command. Zero effort going on or off.

Worst was the Moto Guzzi Norge. Lighter bike, but very poor design ... the centerstand was just the tip of that iceberg.

The FJR is OK, but I don't see any advantage to using one. Obviously from the posts above, my view is not universal.

Fer Crisakes, what is the big deal about checking tyre pressures? Just do it and then ride the bike, it won't matter a monkeys' toss what position the valve was in as long as you can get the pressure gauge on the valve. Maybe better to take the bike to your nearest Yamaha dealer and pay them to do the job properly, that way you will know it was done right!!! Yep, it's Friday.

I trust the local dealer to set tire pressure accurately about as much as I trust the tire pressure gauge at the local gas station. I use a small Cruz gauge that lives in the glovebox and like to have the valve stem between 3 and 6 o'clock for the front tire and between 6 and 9 o'clock for the rear wheel. I check from the right side as the bike is on the side stand and remove the right hand saddlebag to make access easier. The Cruz gauge reads the same as two other larger digital guages but I don't obsess over a 1/2 pound difference. I know that I can't tell the difference so using my gauges I try to maintain 40/43 front/rear pressures.

I bought my 2008 with right-angle stems already installed..

.. except they were facing LEFT.
rolleyes.gif
fool.gif
Fortunately it needed tires not long after purchase, so I flipped them.

Mostly from the side-stand (standard straight stem, checking with a 90 degree pressure gauge head); from the left side of the bike (clutch side), rear tire, 3 to 6 o'clock: from the right side of the bike (front brake side) front tire, 3 to 6 o'clock.

When I walk into the garage before a ride, I take out my smart phone and open the Fobo app on my phone. it tells me the tire pressures of my bike's tires. If a tire needs air, I use the T-stem I installed with the Fobo units for easy access.

I can't believe you guys are still using caveman methods.