Frame slider bolt

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richouse

Reaction score
A buddy just bought a 2013 FJR and wants to put frame sliders on it. The right engine bolt where the slider goes just won't come out. He is on his way over and we are going to work on it together. He just couldn't get it and promised me a steak dinner at the fanciest steak place around if I can get it. I said that was a mistake because I'll get that bitch out, might not be pretty, but it's coming out!

So, any ideas to help a brother get a steak dinner???

Hold the bolt head in a vice, one of you stand at each end of the bike, and turn the bike. It's all to do with leverage. And being Friday.

Any other day of the week, I'd put a hex key firmly in the bolt head, then hit it with a hammer. Pure leverage (as above ;) ) could easily pull the aluminium thread.

Hope you get to enjoy your steak.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure that you can get the bolt head out of the way, nobody mentioned being able to put a bolt back in.

For some reason this engine bolt is sometimes hard to get out. Steel bolts in aluminum tend to create galvanic corrosion.

The correct Friday actions are a cutting torch or C4.

Nothing works better than an impact wrench. If you apply straight torque with a wrench the odds of breaking the bolt is high. As that wise smart guy mcatrophy says, start loading up the wrench with torque and keep tapping the wrench with a hammer to simulate the impact wrench.

You could try to very slightly tighten the bolt (!) to get it to break free, then try backing the bolt out.

Unfortunately, the bolt head will most likely prevent penetrating oil from getting into the threads.

I would NOT be too keen on applying a lot of heat to the bolt because of the risk of embrittling the aluminum around the bolt.

I look forward to reading that you had a steak dinner.

Since your buddy is going to ride the bike over the engine should be fully warmed up. It may come right out since the allow threads expanded more than the steel bolt. Enjoy that steak!

Otherwise, use all the other tricks mentioned. It wasn't tall hat hard on my 1 year younger 2014 when I did it.

You haven't mentioned that you loosened the pinch bolt, at least there is one on the RHS on the Gen2 bikes. If there is one on the Gen3 it might also be worth trying, even if you do have an impact wrench...

Since your buddy is going to ride the bike over the engine should be fully warmed up. It may come right out since the allow threads expanded more than the steel bolt. Enjoy that steak!
Otherwise, use all the other tricks mentioned. It wasn't tall hat hard on my 1 year younger 2014 when I did it.
This is exactly what my plan is. We will see how it works when he gets here. He is riding 6 hrs to get here so the engine will be hot, but so will the bolt. We will see.

You haven't mentioned that you loosened the pinch bolt, at least there is one on the RHS on the Gen2 bikes...
Here is the culprit! Upon VERY close inspection we found a pinch bolt. It is completely hidden on a gen 3 bike. Just as James said there is one on Gen 2 as well. I guess mine was loose when I installed my frame sliders because I really don't remember this pinch bolt. The right faring looks like it will have to come off to get to said bolt but that should make life better. I just hope there is enough bite left in that hex head to spin out after the bind is released.

The good news it's the right bolt where there's a collar held in the frame by a pinch bolt....... likely seized as some have been. They are fine thread. If it was the left one, you'd ruin the aluminum threads. Lesson learned here, use anti-seize on these two bolts.

After the pinch bolt was loosened the engine bolt came on out. Unfortunately the hex head was stripped out but was able to get a pipe wrench on the head and it spun right out.