insulated water container for tank bag idea

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redneckj

Reaction score
After traveling home from Bend Oregon yesterday I got to thinking about a way to have cold water available to drink while riding in a hot climate. I got on Camelbak's web site and got to looking at what they had to offer. They have a 40oz insulated bottle, a replacement cap and the camelbak bottle adapter. I think this would be a good option as you can put this in your tank bag (if you ride with one) and have the camelbak "straw" at the riders disposal for cold water refreshment. The key to this is the insulated bottle which should keep ice water cold for quite some time and the straw to make drinking the cold water available while still riding. Just though Id pass along what I had come up with.

https://www.amazon.com/CamelBak-Vacuum-Insulated-Stainless-Bottle/dp/B015DJ9GJI/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1469909826&sr=8-5&keywords=camelbak+insulated+water+bottle

https://shop.camelbak.com/eddy-replacement-cap/d/1264_c_322_cl_3507

https://www.amazon.com/CamelBak-eddy-Hands-Free-Adapter-Onesize/dp/B00B5EADCK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469899980&sr=8-1&keywords=%2Feddy-handsfree-adapter

I almost went this way. Instead I bought the refreshment system from Garauld. I used a magnetic tube clip and attached that to my tank bag. Ran the tube under the right side of the seat and up to the tank bag. The real tip in the system is the blow the water back to the container after you are done drinking. The water in the tube gets warm real fast. the whole thing rest on a passenger peg after you remove the rubber grip and bolt the jug support there. I used it for the first time on my last 4000 mile trip. Texas to Duluth - around Lake Superior and back to Texas. Even on the hottest legs I had cold water and I could grab the tube and take a drink without stopping. The 1/2 gal jug is also very easy to refil at any stop.

With all respect to Camelback, if you really want to up your game, consider a Geigerrig Hydration Engine bladder. https://www.amazon.com/Geigerrig-G2-070-0Z-p4-Hydration/dp/B00870DGDS

The hydration engine comes with a hand pump to put the bladder under pressure, so you can spray your face or cooling vest, or even wash the windshield or spatter your buddy. I keep it in a cooler behind me on the passenger seat because it tends to be large. The bladder opens up completely so it can be cleaned properly, and you can drop in ice and water from nearly any source (hotel ice machine?). The pressure bladder is separate from the water reservoir, and the overall package is comparable to large camelback bladders, but the pressure makes all the difference. Just discard the warm water in the tube, and then take a drink. No need to suck. I have the 3-liter version and pack it in a rectangular softside cooler with ice, strapped to the seat or luggage. Works with a Full-face helmet that is not friendly to drinking except through a tube. Remember, if you have a helmet like mine, you have to drink hot water to get to the cold (or blow it back into the reservoir), if you can't discharge the pressurized water first. No spitting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a Platypus 2L in my tank bag. As long as you fill it with ice then water, it stays cold most of the day. Takes up a lot less room too.

I was just thinking about how brutally hot my gas tank gets. Wouldn't that seem counter productive to place something I hope to keep cold ON it?

Gary

darksider #44

I just use a 40oz water bladder that I fill half way with water and freeze it over night, then the next morning fill the rest with water. Place it in my tank bag's water bladder compartment and I have nice cold water all day, even here in the SE. Bladder cost me like $10 at Wal-mart.

The Platypus 1.8 L with the hydration bladder cover is exactly what I will use. Thanks EVERYONE for your input. This forum is full of good information. Again, thanks.

I have been using a Camelbak for the last few hot rides. I've had it for ages, but it's worked out great because it holds about a large cup of ice and then 2 bottles of water from most fast food places or convenience stores. The thing I like about wearing it is that I have an ice pack on my back, more or less. It does provide some cooling relief along my back.

BTW, I have the bladder pocket in my both of my Klim jackets. On the Badlands Pro, it is such a PITA to access that I never use it (located behind the backpad). On top of that, it drags the jacket down uncomfortably. On the Adv Rally jacket, it is in an external pocket on the jacket and the suspension system makes the weight unnoticeable. A much better design, IMO.

On my Roadcrafter, I worry that a Camelback will block the exhaust vent, but I have never actually tried it.

The Platypus 1.8 L with the hydration bladder cover is exactly what I will use. Thanks EVERYONE for your input. This forum is full of good information. Again, thanks.
Redneck, if you want to live up to the name, you can do a real redneck style of cold water delivery. Downside is you can't drink it while riding but you can have a cool drink ready at stops. I've done this and it works.

Buy a box of wine, drink it (not in a single sitting). Pull out the bladder. You get something like this:

Gear-Diary-Reviews-the-Boxxle-Wine-Dispenser-008.jpg

Those things are tough as hell. They won't leak or rip. Using the valve, rinse it out several times with hot water (water will go in through the valve when empty--gets rid of the wine taste). Fill it mostly full, throw it in the freezer. Let it freeze solid.

Here's where it gets real red-neck: lay 2 bungee cords on the frozen block, wrap around a few loops with duct tape. Now you can attach it wherever it fits to the back of the bike somewhere. Remove and enjoy your refreshing cool drink at every stop. Pull off the bungees and throw away when done using. It takes a little time but it's basically free and you don't have to bring it home.