Anyone recognize this?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamK

Reaction score
I found this rubber strap hanging off of a hose clamp on the left hand side of the bike. Saw it through the fairing opening. Wonder where it came from??

IMG_20160731_133654.jpg

It goes around the hose clamp, for the water pump.
Yeah, it's a hose clamp cover. On the left side, up underneath the fairing by the glove box there's a couple where the short elbow water hose is (on my '07).
I've never seen a hose clamp cover?? What purpose does it serve? Couldn't find it in the service manual.

Thx!

If you found it on the left side it came from under the radiator cap or more likely from the coolant header above the air injection stuff. Did you do a valve clearance check lately? I found one of those left on my workbench when I did my first valve clearance check. I hope I'll be able to find it again somewhere in my workshop the next time I do a valve check but I'm not counting on it. I'm not going back in there just to put it back on. I don't know what the purpose is, but it's in my "errata" pile of unknown parts now.

CrabbyJack

Adam - I don't know what purpose it serves. But they put these rubber pieces over the top radiator hose clamp (but not on the radiator side as far as I can tell. The wrap this rubber piece around the metal worm gear hose clamp. Never seen these used before.

Thanks guys. I haven't been in there doing anything. It looks like one side snapped for some reason and it was hanging there by the end which was still intact.

If you found it on the left side it came from under the radiator cap or more likely from the coolant header above the air injection stuff. Did you do a valve clearance check lately? I found one of those left on my workbench when I did my first valve clearance check. I hope I'll be able to find it again somewhere in my workshop the next time I do a valve check but I'm not counting on it. I'm not going back in there just to put it back on. I don't know what the purpose is, but it's in my "errata" pile of unknown parts now.
CrabbyJack
^^^^This right here^^^^

Of course, that one, with one of the loops broken, is not going to be very useful, even if it was life-and-death to put it back where it came from (which it isn't.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course, that one, with one of the loops broken, is not going to be very useful, even if it was life-and-death to put it back where it came from (which it isn't.)
Youre right, Walt. I found mine snapped when I went in there to replace the thermostat when the housing started weeping. I tossed it.

omg2.gif
OMG !!!

Your bike is going to fall apart in a million pieces

And you are going to die an aluminum and plastic death...

no - wait, that's reserved for the darkside thread.
tomato.gif

*Carry on.

Brodie

rolleyes.gif

*Yeah, it's that important.

Last edited by a moderator:
A protective cover for any sharp edges of the clamp.

There are similar covers on the clamps on the fuel return hose between the fuel pressure regulator and the fuel pump on my '04.

Somehow I managed to lose one of them when I installed my Audiovox CC many years ago. Probably dropped down below the throttle body assembly.

It goes around the hose clamp, for the water pump.
Yeah, it's a hose clamp cover. On the left side, up underneath the fairing by the glove box there's a couple where the short elbow water hose is (on my '07).
I've never seen a hose clamp cover?? What purpose does it serve? Couldn't find it in the service manual.

Thx!
Not in the service manual that I know of but (for my '07) it's right there on the parts pictures for the cooling system. Part Numero Uno in fact. Hard to miss. You'll probably do like most of us anyway- over the yrs you'll chuck the covers and replace the OEM hose clamps with some that actually work more than once.

I have a nasty scar on my right hand from hitting the free end of a hose clamp and having it go right into my hand. The rubber cover is certainly a nice gesture.