My '07 feejer stopped running after dropping it off ctr stand for ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pegscraper

Mr. Photog
Reaction score
I started the '07 feejer up yesterday and then dropped it from the center stand to begin my ride and it just quit running with the following panel lights staying on: the blue hi beam, green "N" neutral light, both solid turn indicator lights and the fuel level gauge blinking. I checked all fuses and battery. All the recalls had been performed July 2011. It has 89k miles. Please advise.

You may have had the recall work done but this sure sounds like ground coupler S4 (or coupler 3) or ground coupler S6 have over heated or have corrosion.

Last edited by a moderator:
You may have had the recall work done but this sure sounds like ground coupler S4 (or coupler 3) or ground coupler S6 have over heated or have corrosion.
Could the repairs be covered under warranty if recall previously performed and YES expired? The local Prescott Valley "Outdoor Sports" shop said just to look at it would be $100.

Exactly. Check S4 at frame left front under gas tank. Google fjr ground spider recall. Che k your vin at dealer to see if recall harness has been done. If not they will take care of it.

Waiting for mine to nail me again. Pitiful.

As others have said, S4 and S6 "spiders" are the most likely. There is at least one other ground in a non-spider connector that will yield similar symptoms.

I just spoke with the Yamaha, Cypress CA recall person (Sabrina) and she said all recalls for my VIN # have been performed. When I have my '07 towed in I will ask them to focus on the S4 and S6 ground couplers. Thank you.

Exactly. Check S4 at frame left front under gas tank. Google fjr ground spider recall. Che k your vin at dealer to see if recall harness has been done. If not they will take care of it.
I might try looking at the S4 ground coupler (left side under tank) before resorting to taking it in. I called the Yamaha shop and he said the bikes are left out in the monsoon rains. 3 to 4 weeks of drenching rain is not a good thought. Therefore, I will attempt a fix myself. What do I do with the S4 ground coupler after I get it in my hands? Tighten it or maybe use dielectric grease on it?

Could the repairs be covered under warranty if recall previously performed and YES expired? The local Prescott Valley Motor Sports shop said just to look at it would be $100.
Your dealer sounds like an A$$. Anyhoo, call any Yamaha dealer and have the service department run your VIN to confirm that the ground recall was done. Remember that "spider" is a term made up here on the Forum and a dealer will have no idea what you are talking about if you say "ground spider".

If your FJR did indeed have the recall done you need to nicely and in the spirit of cooperation ask the dealer to verify that the recall work has failed. The ground connectors are not a wear-out item or an ongoing maintenance item, once fixed it should stay fixed. If your dealer tries to make a deal where he will charge you $100 just to look but will cover the repair 100% if he finds failed recall work -- it's time to buy you a set of tools and a FSM.

BTW, Prescott seems to turn up as a common lunch stop for us when we are in the area.

Edit to note: There was a time gap between when I started this reply and posted the reply and others have already covered much of this.

Where does the rectifier/regulator DC(-) connect into this network? As I recall the R/R is back under the seat in front of the wheel.

You'd think there would be an express line connection to the high current loads.

Remember that "spider" is a term made up here on the Forum and a dealer will have no idea what you are talking about if you say "ground spider"
Exactly why I tried to use Yamaha/NTSB's term of "Intermittent Ground Wire Failure" in the pinned the threads.
smile.png

I could have set my watch to the time it took you to respond to pegscraper....this place is quicker to respond than some certified Swiis chronometers out there. ;)

I might try looking at the S4 ground coupler (left side under tank) before resorting to taking it in. I called the Yamaha shop and he said the bikes are left out in the monsoon rains. 3 to 4 weeks of drenching rain is not a good thought. Therefore, I will attempt a fix myself. What do I do with the S4 ground coupler after I get it in my hands? Tighten it or maybe use dielectric grease on it?
The S4 under the tank, left side is good. I was about to tackle the S6 under the glove box but thought I would poke around with the spark plugs, since the tank was raised. The #4 plug wire was loose and easily slipped out of the rubber sleeve which attaches to the plug. Looks like moisture seeped in and corroded the connection. It was like a greenish powder inside. AI tried to shove it back down and hold it place as I turned the ignition on but no dice. Outdoor Sports (in Prescott Valley) replaced the plugs 3.5k miles ago. Could this be causing the problem?

Odd things often turn up. I'm saying the plug wire is a contributor to running issues, but based on the electrical symptoms I think there is a second electrical issue. The FJR uses a wasted spark system, so when one plug has an issue a second plug will not fire correctly also.

Odd things often turn up. I'm saying the plug wire is a contributor to running issues, but based on the electrical symptoms I think there is a second electrical issue. The FJR uses a wasted spark system, so when one plug has an issue a second plug will not fire correctly also.
You are correct because 2 plug wires are connected to a coil (according to Jeff @ Outdoor Sports). Their service Dept guy said they are on back-order and don't expect them until October.

My '07 has NOT had the ground recall done and it's now EXPIRED. Dealer won't do it.

Thankfully I haven't had any issues. I plan to check/clean all the ground spiders soon.

You are correct because 2 plug wires are connected to a coil (according to Jeff @ Outdoor Sports). Their service Dept guy said they are on back-order and don't expect them until October.
For the plug wire, you can probably remove it from the plug cap and carefully trim 1/4" or so from the end of the wire. The cap is then SCREWED back onto the wire - don't just jamb it on. If it is the shortest wire (closest to the coils), you may have a problem with the shortened wire not being long enough to get the cap back onto the plug.

As ionbeam said, this isn't what caused the strange electrical symptoms but could contribute to poor running.

Your symptoms were exactly as mine so I feel the grounds are still probably at fault. My recall was noted as completed but had not been done. When I got into it could see a melted S4 and no recall wire harness. Took it back to dealer I bought it from (used one year old with 2400 miles). They put a new front wiring harness on it and said that there were other problems in the harness. I asked for specifics but they said no recollection of what all was affected. I asked to see the harness which wsd removed but was told it was tossed. So that is all I can offer. You are talking with some folks here on the forum who knew what they were talking about and helped me a good deal through the process.

Relhok said

"My '07 has NOT had the ground recall done and it's now EXPIRED. Dealer won't do it."

I wasn't aware that a Government Mandated Safety Recall had an experation date.

Brodie

🤔

Here is what I assume is the S4 ground terminal under the left side gas tank. It checks out as good. I will move to the S6 ground terminal tomorrow.

412701710.jpg