Goodbye y'all and thanks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salish1300

Reaction score
Sold my bike tonight and I'm as low as snail's belly. Told my sons it is a classic example of doing the right thing, even when it is hard. Just didn't need it for commuting anymore, and it was too much cash to sit in the garage M-F when I've got kids in school and stuff.

This forum has been fantastic, and I wish each and every one of you happy miles on your bikes.

Every time I see an FJR on the road from now on, I will be very sad.

Keep the rubber side down.

Family is priority. I assume you are younger than us since you still have children at home. Someday you may decide to come back when the time is right.

Good luck,

Dave

BTDT - Believe me when I say that those kids will be grown and on their own before you realize it. There will be motorcycles then.

"Doing the right thing" is sometimes really, really tough. Two pieces of un-asked-for advice:

1. Hang around here; your input was valuable.

2. When your kids are grown and gone, start riding again. (That's what I did, and, as hppants said, it will seem like no time.) Get yourself a 2025 FJR and start bragging about the reverse gear and the autopilot features.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been there and done that. I took about 6 or so years off when my son was born. needed the finances elsewhere. But I've gotten another and came back. I wish I'd have stayed in contact with folks on here more but I too thought that since I didn't have an FJR I had no business being here. Heck I probably STILL don't have any business being here, but
tonguesmiley.gif
to them. Good luck in everything going on, and just drop in every once in a while. You never know what kind of shenanigans are going to take place....

Dropped my bike(s) when my kids came along (they were probably around 1 and 3 at the time). Picked it back up when they were in middle school and would come pick them up after school on occasion which was a big thing for the other kids to see.

Suffered through a 25 year hiatus from motorcycling myself (1971-1996), raising the kids. You'll be ready to take it up again when the time is right - never too late, as long as you can throw a leg over the saddle. Don't be a stranger here, stop back even if just to read the excellent ride reports and make plans for the next one.

I too had to sell a bike when money got tight before kids to several years in. The riding bug bit when things were better and I'm five years in to having one in my garage again. Don't be a stranger here and keep it as a goal to get another one down the road.

I quit riding for 30 years. It was shortly after getting married and stayed that way until the kids grew up. I never did lose the itch for riding. It's a good thing I hung out with people that kept riding.

I've been back riding for 12 years and enjoy every minute. I've ridden to place I never would have gone to and met many fantastic people. My bike helped keep my mental focus up when I went through chemo and immunotherapy. It was the best treatment I had and far less expensive than the stuff they pumped into me.

I understand and respect your decision, but leave the door open for the future. There will be a time and a place later in life. The best part is motorcycles and gear keep getting better. Life is short. Don't miss the good parts. As Brad Thor states in his books - To be happy in life you need three things - someone to love, something to do and something to look forward to. I hope you find all three.

I toook a 30 year break, military service, 8 1/2 years the mid-east and then 14 years in the Los Angeles area. Had serious doubts when I bought the FJR for my birthday but took a couple of classes and did a lot practicing. Learned early on that it was a good idea to have someone along with me because I can't pick the FJR up by myself. Thought about quitting when I turned 70, again when I turned 71. I'll see what next spring brings but it is really hard to quit when the weather is just starting to get nice here in the PNW. When you are ready to ride the FJR or it's replacement will be even better.

Getting a Grom is a great idea for young dads and young families!

Just a nicer version of the Honda Trail 70 (CT-70H) my dad got for my brother & I back in 1971. It was one of the best family things ever.

Time will pass and you'll be back on an FJR etc hoping the all grown up kids will buy lunch on your rides
smile.png

Food for thought for you young'uns: a few years after we got the Trail 70 I put a plate on it, got my motorcycle learners permit before I had one for a car then took my license test on it. I passed a lot easier than the guy on the oil leaking Harley pan head.

I wasn't sure I would check back after my post as I though I might need a clean break to ease the pain of not having the bike, but I'm glad I've come back and read all the encouraging things here. Thanks. This was purely financial as the $ is needed elsewhere and I know I will return. I will keep my account active and look around once in a while to read about the 2020 bike that has autopilot indeed!

And by the way, I totally pumped up the buyer of my bike about this forum. Made sure he knew what a resource it is, and that even if he isn't the forum type, there is so much fun and knowledge here that he should give it a try. You might see a new guy with a 14 show up any day now!

I understand the need to give it up. I did but when the children were grown and I was more mature, I got back into it. Hope to see you back some time.

Possibly your answer to continue riding - $4000 used V-strom 650. If that won't work, completely understandable and you are doing the right thing for your family, it's just an idea.

Good luck and hope to see you on that 2020 FJR!

I wasn't sure I would check back after my post as I though I might need a clean break to ease the pain of not having the bike, but I'm glad I've come back and read all the encouraging things here. Thanks. This was purely financial as the $ is needed elsewhere and I know I will return. I will keep my account active and look around once in a while to read about the 2020 bike that has autopilot indeed!
And by the way, I totally pumped up the buyer of my bike about this forum. Made sure he knew what a resource it is, and that even if he isn't the forum type, there is so much fun and knowledge here that he should give it a try. You might see a new guy with a 14 show up any day now!
That'd be great. I just hope he doesn't complain about one of the tripmeters resetting because it's on reserve. That would be lame.