2016-07-05 Jon - Creston To Gualala

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
2016-07-05 Jon - Creston To Gualala

My nephew, Jon, has had a rough row in life. I'll not disclose his issues here, not appropriate. But he did ask me to attend his 'commitment' ceremony to a gal he loves. So I will ride to the PNW and support.

KrZy8 has been running Great, although she does have an interesting sound coming from the cam chain, upper side. It's very noticeable at idle, but goes away at about 1,500 rpm. Nevertheless, I will ride.

The route.

Leaving the dry and sunny Hondarosa.

First stop, get some cash. I like to take pix of my local hood. Later, I can see how things changed.

On the way to Morro Bay. My ride plan is simple. Head west. Hit the ocean, turn right. Ride and ride some more. Even I get this.

When in Morro Bay, eat here. Good food, home-made.

Kitty's has been here for a very long time. The waiter said he first remembered eating here in 1957!

Mmmm.

I work at Diablo Canyon nuclear power plant. These stacks belong to an oil/gas burner once owned by PG&E in Morro Bay, CA. The plant is closed. As will be Diablo in 2014 and 2015. Nuclear is a huge mix in the carbon free world. But no one realizes it here, yet, in the USA.

Yes, people actually went underwater in this thing.

Another view of Morro rock.

Pierdras Blancas light house, IIRC.

A lot of road construction going on. It appears they're moving the road to the east and straightening it out. Not good for Moto bike rider.

Beautiful views.

Did I mention a lot of road construction?

A very popular state park. Good luck on getting reservations..

At Moss Landing, I met my friend John W. He is a free-spirited person. Travelled the world, and a good man. Hard worker too.
Known to his friends as 'Farmer John'.

As I narrate these pictures it is now three days later. And I don't recognize where this was. That is sad. But the flights are nice.

I let GPS route me through the Bay area. It was 880 to 580 to something-something. No matter how you cut it bay area traffic sucks. This is the arena where the Warriors also sucked...

This bridge cost me $5 to cross.

I do not know what this bridges called. It is not the Golden State though..

Petulama, Calif. The SEED bank. LOL.

My observation is the farther north you go the better it gets.

This is my miserable failure trying to get a post office for Reno John and his big money rally.

Jenner by the sea, he used to go by a different name, Kaitlyn. Figure it out.

Truly delightful roads.

I had realized that I slept in too late, in the lunch with John was putting me behind schedule for my arrival in Gualala California. With the twisty road ahead I had absolutely no choice, but to twist up the throttle, reduce the miles per gallon, an increase this miles per miles.

This rider ahead of me, was something else. All over the road and not very much in control.

Where the tarmac meets the sea.

I finally arrive in Gualala California. A restaurant that I really liked called Bones is no longer in business. So I settled here for the pizzeria uppercrust. The pizza was excellent!

Gualala is a very small surf Town..

I must've taken 30 pictures of the sunset. But I like this one the best.

This is the backside of the hotel. To me, it looks like it used to be a house that they simply added onto to make it a complete hotel. My room was the third window till left.

Southward view.

Good night.

..to be continued

1) Congrats to your nephew

2) As always, great RR and photos

3) Replace the damn CCT before you blow up another motor

4) When are you going to switch to the Gen III you have had sitting around for MONTHS?

Cheers

Looks like a nice trip El Presidente. Fun little jaunt :)

Congrats to Jon!

Last edited by a moderator:
Seeing all these wonderful pics makes me realize how badly I need to get to the West Coast for some riding....keep them coming!

Beautiful pictures!!! I just hit a small section of your route last week. I look forward to your pictures and stories to come. :)

This is my miserable failure trying to get a post office for Reno John and his big money rally.

Your stories are always good, and, other than this one, your photos are outstanding.

This one flunks the BMR test because it doesn't show the town name and zip code, although "Jenner by the Sea" is in the background. (RenoJohn wants this post office simply because of that fact, I'm sure. He's got a delightfully twisted sense of humor.)

Here I am, reading another one of Don's posts and a-wonderin' if I should join him sometime? I've been using my new ride almost weekly and can't seem to get enough of it. I'll be heading to Ocean Cove near Gualala in September for a Kayak Fishing Tournament entitled "Simply Fishing". Wish I could figure out how to tow my yak with the FJR.

My New Ride

2016-04-03%2011.03.42_zpse04g5afs.jpg

i've still got this old girl and kinda miss the wide open spaces (Locsha River, Idaho)

DSCF3633.jpg

Ride on Don

Khunajawdge

Yep, I hear ya, Khuna-George. With me, it's been a return to golf and house projects. So I lurk here to vicariously follow the likes of el CandyButt presidente and others on real rides. One of Don's pics of the blue ocean on Hwy.1 here really has me jonesing. Perhaps, one of these days before we croak, some of us low mileage, long term, elderly forum members will have to get together again for a ride adventure.

dCarver's rides

2016-07-06_Jon_Gualala To Eureka - day 2

The route.

WOW! A phenomenal wake up this morning. Although I did not sleep so well last night. Apparently, eating five slices of pizza and drinking some whiskey just might lead to an upset stomach. JSNS.

The view from my window. Not bad.

Summertime is not the correct season to travel the California coastline. It is normally very foggy, Cool, and damp. This is the first time I've seen sunshine in Gualala, California.

This is the same shot I took from sunset the night before..

kly priced

This picture is for my friend Joseph. I'm sure you will bring back fond memories. Used to be known as BONES restuarant.. and one hot waitress...

More incredible views..

Entering Pt. Arena...

Wonder what folks do to make a living here...
I

So I found another lighthouse. But they wanted $7.50 so I did not attend.

It does look nice though...

Further up the road... Unusual plant sculptures by the firehouse...

I bet old ToeCutter doesn't have stuff like this at his firehouse!

..and barns. I remember you, Andrew. OrangevaleFJR!

I'm getting pretty good at catching all these pix 'on the fly'. I rarely get off the bike to compose. It's a new pix category...

For my bud RJ...who I never hear from anymore.. hmmm..

Interesting archeticture. Wonder which half came first?

Sooo then, right or left turn?

View to the right...

and left...

Left it is!

I have discovered that allot of very rich folks live here..

For me though, a simple salad is good enough...

at a cafe frequented by regulars who appreciate the staff and the food..

simple folks, working hard, providing good food and service. I Like that.

GHere's the place, Fort Bragg, CA. Now you know.

Leaving out, found this old wooden bridge. I like wooden bridges...

and barns with CDF trucks too..

Check out the clouds and fog.. Disregard the stupid cage driver if you can...

Pretend for a moment you're atop an incredible vehicle capable of speeds unimiagned by most peeps.. with this for your view. And you can pass at will any turd in you way....

To think someone lives here...

Making good progress at a CBA pace!

Garberville! Some memories there.. from a time ago...

Ran across these 3 pirates at the last gas station. They wouldn't even look at me. So I passed them.. Adios, fuckers!

To be continued...