And Here's ANOTHER Gripe about Gen III FJRs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
A while back I posted my complaint about te "Parking" key position on my newish 2014. Thought is was too close to the "lock" position, too easy to walk away from the bike with some of the lights on. Still do, in fact.

Now I've got a NEW gripe. Cheeze, that's TWO things wrong with this motorcycle. What the HELL?

OK, why does the information on the screen all go blank when your bike goes on reserve? At least the '14's do. At least MY '14 does. I like to know how many miles I've gotten on my tank, so I zero the "trip 1" meter at every fill up. On a longer trip, like I just did to NAFO, "trip 2" is for the entire trip. Of course to work right, you need to zero the gauge when filling up. Once the info on the screen blanks out, not only can you not see what info you normally have on the screen (trip miles, range, air temp, whatever you have it programmed to show,) you can't even zero the gauge until it gets around to re-setting itself, which takes several miles of riding.

So not only does that throw off knowing the total mileage you have on that tank of gas, it throws of knowing how many miles you have on the next tank too, because in addition to the six or seven miles that will be on the tank when you can finally zero it, it makes it too easy to forget about zeroing the gauge, maybe for several miles farther down the road. Is there some secret good reason for this feature?

My God, two design flaws. What kind of a lowbrow piece of junk motorcycle IS this?
grrr.gif

They should hire a consultant to test the new models. I'm available.

Last edited by a moderator:
For f*k's sake, you've only got to push that d*mn*d rocker switch on your left handlebar. Is that so hard?
RTFM.
That's my experience, the reserve screen is a temporary 4th screen but it doesn't lock out the other 3 screens, they are still available if you push the d*mn*d rocker switch on the left handlebar.
smile.png

I pushed every damn button I could reach, and nothing seemed to bring back the info. Just you wait till I use up this last tank of gas I just put in, doggone it.

Toggle to the Page screen and then use the selector button to bring up any of the three Pages that you have setup. I'm getting to be quite the finger flicker. It also makes me wonder about the number of actuation cycles the switches are rated for.

I did just notice a couple of weeks ago that the afore mentioned display also says, "See you next time" when you turn the key off.

Not sure about any of this, but my 08 is getting much prettier.

Younger is not better...

smile.png

Oh My God. You have got a serious First World Problem here Mike. I know how difficult it can be to have to force that big rocker switch with the index finger of the left hand. Sometimes I have to actually pull over and rest after scrolling through the menu. The nerve of Yamaha to actually blank out all those menu items to force us to notice the last bar in the fuel gauge is flashing. We should not have to actually monitor our gauges any damn way.

Seriously, you can just toggle through to the other 3 screens. As our English friend says, Read The F'ing Manual.

Everyday I thank my lucky stars for my Gen2. Now to add another Gen3 complaint I have been told today. Seems as though the side-stand has been reported to me to be to short increasing the lean angle on the Gen3 bikes when parked. They did a side by side comparison with his old Gen1 to make sure. With the lean angle increased it makes it harder when mounting the bike and getting it upright. Must be a real bitch if your 2up.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Happy Gen2 owner,
tonguesmiley.gif

Dave