Corbin All Day Seat Mod

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oreana

Reaction score
I bought a Corbin seat off of the classified ads and decided to modify the foam in the seat. Drilling out the rivets and separating the foam from the cover revealed very little foam between the cover and seat pan- hence the firmness of the seat.

Costco has pillows made up of memory foam reasonably priced at 2 for 10 bucks. I made up two patterns for foam insert/covers to lie between the original cover and the foam on the seat pan. I have a sewing machine that allows me to sew pads to hold the loose foam in the pillow and then I cut the pillow shapes to fit the seat pan.

My pneumatic stapler would not penetrate the seat pan so I used self tapping lath screws to hold the cover in place. The screws went right into the old rivet holes perfectly.

My seat feels great on my butt and private parts. It is much more puffy but looks like it was intended to be that way. Now I'll have to do the passenger seat.

Yes I do have pictures. No I haven't been able to post them. Working on it

OK I see I need to find a host to send my pictures to in order to put them on this forum. Not going to happen. Too bad

Last edited by a moderator:
corbin%20day%20long%20004.jpg

Too much hassle Pretty ancient forum that does not allow me to drag the pic into it
Not an age thing. We choose not to host pictures.

One of the big reason it's ad-free, doesn't cost you a time to be a contributing member (thank you for the write-up) and can easily roll our own photos given the instructions in the pinned threads. ;)

So a Corbin seat is never going to "break in". I think that the pan and cover are awesome, there are lots of choices for a foam upgrade. I will be removing the factory seat cover from my original seat mostly out of curiosity. I'd like to see what Russell puts in their seats as well.

I've always said if I had a Corbin again, I'd add foam and it would be a great seat. Now if Corbin could just figure that out instead of telling us it will break in........

I'll be foaming the back seat and seeing if I can transfer the back rest to the forward seat. I liked the leather design and the fit when I had it opened up, just needed some squishy. My take is that the only break in would be the leather.

If I ever had a Corbin again, I'd chuck that muther fvcxor as far as I could, and then shoot it full of holes.

There is nothing that can be done to make a Corbin any more comfortable, except maybe selling it to the next unsuspecting rube.

Oh... YMMV

While I applaud the OP for going the extra mile, for doing this work, for posting the pic, and for telling us how it was done, I still have a question.

Why? Why would you buy a very expensive seat and then go to all that effort to modify it to make it comfortable when you could just buy a Russell or a Laam CUSTOM seat that is custom built for YOU by experts?

If I am going to pay all that money for an expensive seat, it better be comfortable when I get it.

If I ever had a Corbin again, I'd chuck that muther fvcxor as far as I could, and then shoot it full of holes. There is nothing that can be done to make a Corbin any more comfortable, except maybe selling it to the next unsuspecting rube.
...assuming you get get the damned thing off the bike. I've seen more Corbin seats that had to be pried off bikes because the pan fit so poorly. And if you're selling it you'd better have a wealthy customer who can afford shipping on that kind of weight. The pans are made of Corbinium - the most dense element known to man. I truly don't understand how they can stay in business.

WHOA I find it ludicrous to pay the amount of money required for a russell. Mine engages the seat brackets perfectly, releases easily. Sounds like those who bought russells are trying to justify their getting raped financially. Doesn't seem to be all that heavy, but I shall actually weigh it and report back. I drilled holes with self tapping screws- seems like the pan is made of a composite like fibreglass. I think the seat is awesome now, and I know more than any poster here about motorcycle seats- I recover them and alter seat foam to bring them up to date. What ever in the world could be so great about a russell seat to justify the cost? My opinion of the sewing of the leather cover is that it is well done. I particularly like the lowered height of the seat. YMMV

Now I will get a russell and take it apart to show its interior. I dont want to wreck a good thing for these high dollar seat producers, but there is nothing magic in seats. I tip my hat to those who can command large payments, taking advantage of rubes

Actually, you don't know more about seats than any poster here. And there are threads that show exactly what is inside a Russell. The fact that you do not know what is inside a Russell or why the Premium Custom Seats command the prices they do tells the rest of us all we need to know. Keep in mind that there are many of us on this forum that have ridden SS1Ks and there are several that have finished very high in the IBR.

Russell Day Longs are the Gold Standard for IBA finishers. There is good reason for that.

I just checked the Corbin website and the cheapest front and rear option is $586. You could be sitting on a Laam Custom built by a professional craftsman, custom made to fit YOU for less than that. A Russell is not much more.

Again, I applaud you for your efforts. I appreciate the fact that you shared your work and your results. I can see how you would be proud of doing something like this All on Your Own.

But you still have a second third best seat.

Ha Ha You cannot take yourself seriously despite your 3 thousand posts. I am telling you something you don't want to hear, there is nothing special in seats. And while I have never been bored enough to do an iron butt, I've been traveling by motorcycle since the sixties. So I have been on the road many miles.

Don't think you are going to hurt my feelings, tell me what you really think. I cannot imagine a reason that the seats from russell are so special, guess Ill just have to find out fro myself.

There are those who travel by motorcycle that think that iron butt people have found a way to kill what makes motorcycling great. Just a different way of thinking. There are those who have to measure themselves against others, some drive down a different road.

Just want to say that I bought my Corbin seats used, for lots less money than new. I am now sitting on pillows of memory foam, how much better can it get?

Ha Ha You cannot take yourself seriously despite your 3 thousand posts. I am telling you something you don't want to hear, there is nothing special in seats.
HI am now sitting on pillows of memory foam, how much better can it get?
The ol' myth that foam and materials are the exclusive to a good seat? The short answer to your question is some other seats, like Russell, do it A LOT BETTER.

You haven't a clue what makes seats comfortable if you're just focused on foam. I used to believe along your lines.....until I had a nice sit-down (pun intended) with a dude named Craig Vetter on the subject of seats. The patents he's done, stuff he's made, and magical ass board sitting in my garage he made for $1 are all artifacts that speak volumes contrary to your points.

That said, if you ischium is properly supported by your FrankenCorbin...good for you! That's what it really is about.
wink.png

But I don't think it's quite for the reasons you've shared..... Looking at the picture...you've tweaked it a bit to have some nascent stub-wings on there with some minimal thigh support. I suggest that might be more why you like the seat than the material. I could be wrong too.

And Mr. 24 posts.....I have 10,000 posts and multiple IBR finishes with a Russell I scored for $400.....so feel free to ignore as I got a custom seat cheaper than a semi-custom Corbin that then had to be tweaked. I must be a rube.

Smooches.
air_kiss.gif