Grips?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ai4px

Reaction score
I had installed some HUGE kury grips on my previous bike and really got used to them. My FJR has the built in heated grips, so I'm reluctant to peel off the rubber grips and put something over them. So ,two questions.... can you get the grips off w/o damaging the heating elements, and can you feel the heat if you put thicker grips on (such as the kury's)?

thanks guys!

^THIS

What Niehart said. Grip puppies go on every bike I've owned and they are great.

The factory grips have the heating wires IN them, if you were thinking the heaters were under the grips. You can build up the thickness with 2" heat shrink tubing, but the resulting surface is too slippery. You can then wrap with tennis grip wrap. Grip Buddies transfer the heat a bit better than Grip Puppies, and both increase the size significantly.

I prefer the OEM grips, with grip buddies over them. OEM grips look new for years, I get all the heat that I would with just the OEM grips, but with vibration dampening. Foam (grip puppies) just doesn't hold up to my use, holds water, and it's easy to rip/tear during install. Grip buddies are neoprene.

Last edited by a moderator: