Learning Base Camp

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steel_Gin

Reaction score
Trying to learn Base Camp from the agenda (PC) on New England Riders. I am trying to create my first route that is on page 10 step 6 and running in an issue. I select the route tool, cursor changes to the pencil like it should and I can select the waypoints in the instructions. When I do that all it get is a straight line between the points, the route isn’t following the roads. I have double checked the settings on page 6 step 3 and they are correct. What am I missing to make the program follow the roads?

Just an FYI, I don’t have a GPS registered in the program, page 6, step D, GPS Setup. Under select a map product to display I have Global Map selected. Is that why it’s acting the way it is??

Yeah, I just tried it and the route will not calculate when you are using only the basemaps. It will just be a straight line between the two points. When you have a version of maps loaded it will calculate the route after you place the second and subsequent points.

Thanks a ton Fred for checking that!!

Looks like I'll have to search for my GPS I haven't see in a few years and register it. Hope I still have it. Is there a way to load a map if I don't have one?? I'm seeing it in the instructions or the map drop down so I'm guessing not.

Well, if all you want to do is experiment with using basecamp, you could load an unlocked version of maps, like maybe the Northeast US 24k Topographic maps if you could just get a copy somewhere... :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI, if you have a Zumo 590 you can only load .gpx via Basecamp or Windows. If you create files elsewhere, save as .gpx, import into Basecamp, you risk Basecamp totally screwing it up (random re-ordering of waypoints that don't resemble your route).

You may be right, but that didn't seem to be true when I shared some routes with Big Ogre last week. He was able to import my routes into basecamp and then send them to his 590 and they were mostly correct.

+1 for Tyre. Easy, simple.

I'm jealous of guys like Fred W that are so comfortable using a more detailed product in Basecamp. But not so jealous that I'll risk pulling out my remaining hair trying again to figure out that program.

Found my old Garmin Nuvi 360 after a bit of digging. Got it registered and connected and that fixed the straight lines between the waypoints. Thanks again FredW for checking!!

Once I get a feel for Base Camp I will give Tyre a try and figure out which one I like.

Compatibility wise, I use BaseCamp.

It's too bad Googlemaps did away with the "transfer to GPS" link/capability, everyone seems to love the point, drag and make method of that.

See you at the Crows Nest Weds nite, 7pm :)

Youtube is your best friend. Like you I couldn't figure out Basecamp. That was until I watched a few Youtube videos on it. SEEING it rather than reading it made the difference. I'm not saying I'm an expert, but making routes, joining separate routes, splitting routes, editing routes, adding way points etc etc etc... All came from YouTube videos that never lasted more than 15 min each.

Youtube is your best friend. Like you I couldn't figure out Basecamp. That was until I watched a few Youtube videos on it. SEEING it rather than reading it made the difference. I'm not saying I'm an expert, but making routes, joining separate routes, splitting routes, editing routes, adding way points etc etc etc... All came from YouTube videos that never lasted more than 15 min each.
Thanks for posting...I'm gonna give that a try.

+1

+1
Make that a +2.

Thanks!!

I managed to get to Commodores Inn using Sygic on my phone. When I imported from BaseCamp (used ITN converter) Sygic just didn't seem to act right. Since I was leaving in a couple days and my comfort level was higher with Google Maps; I ended up being able to use Google maps, didn't go over the waypoint limit, used ITN Converter and uploaded to my phone. Also made a couple test runs with it and felt it would work pretty good.

I'm sure there were a number of things I did wrong but my over all impression with Sygic is that it's ok and I'm glad I have it but will use it as a plan B. The problems I had: When I first stated out I was not getting any voice prompts in my helmet. I stopped, closed Sygic, launched it again, still no voice prompts. Next tested to see if the phone was connect to my Sena by playing some music and it worked fine. Launched Sygic again and I had voice prompts, very strange. But from there after about 80% of the prompts it would start playing music again which I didn't want. I don't mind the music but it wasn't pausing when I was warned of a turn coming up so I stopped the music, a bit annoying having to do that after almost every warning. Disabled Google play (what I used to test if I could hear anything) but it launch again some how and the music would start playing again after getting a nav direction, very annoying. Then Sygic crashed so I had to pull over again to launch it again.

I don't have any games on my phone and really try to only have the apps I used on it. With that in mind, a couple times during the trip I had to stop and answer questions that would come up which took priority over Sygic and would pause the program. It was very odd because, they were setup type questions that I answered when I first installed them. (it wasn't because of an update because I have the phone setup to only update when on WiFi and WiFi was turned off.) So that required another stop to fix, they were quick stops but stops I didn't want to make. I'm chalking that up to Sygic not playing nice with other programs.

Overall, Sygic did get the job done but requires a lot of patients. Went this direction because I didn't want to spend the $4-500 on a water proof Garmin that I would really only use a couple times a year on the bike. After this ride I am thinking about spending the dough on a Garmin, to me it was too annoying and was taking more attention than I should be giving it. To me Sygic would be a good second option if your real GPS kicks the bucket and you needed directions now.

I think I'll be adding a Garmin to my Xmas list.

I have a solution for you, Dean: Ride more places so you can use your GPS more! You can thank me later.
wink.png

On a more serious note, I use my GPS every time that I ride, even just locally. I'm a total GPS addict, and use one most of the time in the car too. Even if I'm not running a route, I have the GPS map screen up (track up display) so that if I come up on an unfamiliar blind corner or hill crest I can get an idea of what's around the bend or over the hill. I also have my mobile phone patched thru the GPS so I can call screen while riding. If it is something important (like one of my family members) I can take it, otherwise I press reject and let it go to voice mail. I also use the internal MP3 player for music entertainment about 50% of the time. Other times I just listen to the voices in my head.
tease.gif

Last edited by a moderator: