Figured out what the initials stand for

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solomookie

Reaction score
We all love our acronyms. So I was pondering "FJR". After the latest "confirm purchase" button hit, it came to me... Farklestein Jr.

I got the bike 8 days ago, and I have already started throwing money at it. So far, I have ordered the touring windshield, Genmar risers, a Stiffy, supersized SR357, & custom flag mount (all three from Gary), a Givi V47 top case, a Big Foot kickstand pad from Wynpro, and a Seth Laam seat. Within the next day or two, I'll also be ordering T-Rex guards.

Full disclosure.. I am a COG member; I have two '98 C-10s. We Coggers are renowned for our mania for farkles. Each of my C-10s have at least 20 distinct upgrades. Cams, carbs, final gear unit, brakes, suspension, windshield, seat, mufflers... the list goes on.

Here's the difference. All of my FJR farkles fall in the comfort / convenience category. Hence, the Junior. Mechanically, I have no intention of messing with anything. The brakes are excellent; the suspension is terrific; the engine power and gearing are exactly what I want; and I love the quiet, stock mufflers.

I am so impressed with this bike. Big ups, Yamaha; you done good.
good.gif

Former C-10 owner here too... a few bikes back.

You mention "final gear unit" which I assume is the "7th gear" option from Shoodaben Engineering... ya, I don't think that was available years ago when I had my Conc.

Anyway, most folks are happy with the FJR's gearing but many welcomed the new taller 6th gear on the '16 model. However, if you find yours is a little busy at speed... be happy knowing there IS a way to lower your revs by 10% through a gear change at the rear wheel final drive unit. Just food for thought (the search function will give you details when the time comes).

In the meantime, carry on with your farkle fest!

Regards,

Mr. BR

Yes; the 7th gear unit, power cams, and modded carbs are all Shoodabens. I really like the 7th gear unit for highway cruising, but I felt I lost a bit of my liter bike advantage (wrist roll vs. gear downshift) for "spirited" riding. So, I doubt whether I'll want to mess with the gear ratios on the FJR. But it is nice to know that the option is available.

I would like to know more about the touring screen. I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam so I'm curious if the larger windscreen is worth the price of admission.

When my 2014 still ran, I found the Yamaha OEM Touring screen to be perfect. Money well spent. The stock screen doesn't do anything. I run a Cee Bailey biggest of the big in the winter months, but truthfully, I'd be fine with the Yamaha touring screen year round. If you're small AND you leave the bars alone, you might be okay with the stock screen. But for a full sized adult and/or someone who fixes the squid bar position with heli/genmar/MCL risers, I think you need a taller shield. In my case, FJR reminds me of big Blue's response to my mechanical failure: Fix it, you're Joking, Right? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to know more about the touring screen. I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam so I'm curious if the larger windscreen is worth the price of admission.
5' 8.5", 31-inch inseam. I have the touring screen, fitted near enough from new. Last summer I put the OEM screen back on, rode a 20 mile loop back home and put the touring back on. Much prefer it for all conditions that I've encounted.

I tried the Yamaha touring screen on my bike for a couple of days and took it back. It was almost right for me at 5'10" but left me looking for just a bit more. I went with the Cee Bailey mid size shield and it wound up being almost identical for me to the touring screen.

Welcome Solomookie,
A lot of old timers think FJR stands for F##king Just Ride.

This group is a lot like the COG, lots of good folks here. It sounds like you will fit in just fine.
Yeah, and people would actually sign up for the Forum putting FJR into their Forum names, just because they were dildos.

I always thought FJR stood for:

F - ast

J - apanese

R - ocket

but that's just me...

Welcome to the forum Solomookie. You are correct, Yamaha built one hell of a bike.

Welcome.

A lot of things have changed in the motorcycle design world since 1986 when the venerable C10 was born. I also had a Connie; mine was a Smurf Blue '01. I had it when I bought my Bass Bote Blue 2005 FJR (used) and never rode the Concours again. Put 90k miles on the '05 and then upgraded it to a new 3rd Gen in 2014. It won't be long before you won't even remember how those Connies were.
wink.png

I was told by a 'Factory Insider' that Mama Yama called it 'Factory Japanese Racer' or FJR for short.

Everyone I know just calls it 'F---ing Jet Rocket'
punk.gif

I raced a buddy of mine on his Harley and smoked him of course. When we met up he said now he knows what FJR stands for: "F*** JR" (JR is his name).

It won't be long before you won't even remember how those Connies were.
wink.png
I'm not so sure about that, Fred. The FJR is a clearly superior cycle and will be my main ride; but the C-10 still has a special place in my heart. I have ridden the FJR virtually every day since I got it, and yet when I took one of my C-10's to get a tire and inspected (a 72 mile round trip) today, I still enjoyed the ride. And since the C-10 will probably continue to be my PGR mission bike, I doubt that I will forget them any time soon.

I have a brand new Yamaha touring windshield never installed and purchased from a Yamaha dealer last year I could let anybody have for $50. Also have a used touring windshield that has about 2K miles that looks new with no scratches, maybe $30. You pay the freight.

Reason I'm selling is I like Cee Bailey. The previous owner of my '10 FJR had acquired these two windshields. Why he bought an extra one I don't know but he did.

Another former C-10 owner here. 88, 98 and 99. My favorite was the 98. Best color!. Maybe I'll paint the FJR Windsor Green someday.

There were great bikes for their day, although near the end of their run they were substantially outdated in terms of technology. They had carburetors for crying out loud! and a frame that looked like steel but felt like bologna. I didn't realize that until I rode a C-10 several months after owning my 05 FJR. It was completely fine before that.

Welcome to the forum. It is like COG in a lot of ways. Some great folks here and a tremendous body of knowledge, FJR and otherwise.

I have a brand new Yamaha touring windshield never installed and purchased from a Yamaha dealer last year I could let anybody have for $50. Also have a used touring windshield that has about 2K miles that looks new with no scratches, maybe $30. You pay the freight.
Reason I'm selling is I like Cee Bailey. The previous owner of my '10 FJR had acquired these two windshields. Why he bought an extra one I don't know but he did.
You'd probably have better luck selling them if you started a new thread in the 'For Sale' section, then burying it in this thread.