Irritants

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesW

JamesW
Reaction score
Why do drivers meander along and when you do get a clear section to pass they pull to the side like they are doing you a favor. Where was the courtesy when you could use it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The drivers that irritate me are the ones that pull to the left every time you start to pass.

I wave to those that pull to the right. Whenever and where ever they chose.

No rednecks near Snohomish I reckon?

smile.png

The whole Puget Sound area is home central and training center for meandering, lane campers and weavers and more. Hard to believe that a lot of drivers here believe they are better drivers than almost anyone else.

I was on a real twisty road head'n for hwy 1 in N Calif, behind a motor home who was going slow but would not use a turnout to let me by. He then wave's me by just as we were aproching a blind curve! Yhea right! I really blew by him when we got to a safe strait away. Jackass, I'll just put my life in your hands!

My major gripe is anybody, cager or biker, who gets to their exit or turnoff and they are still in the fast lane. Then with no warning, no turn signals, and maybe just a glance, they abruptly "dive" across two or three traffic lanes to go out their exit or make their turn. Maybe they were texting, fooling with instruments/radios/kids, or they just had their head somewhere not on the road, but cutting fast across traffic lanes can get people hurt, or even killed. In my state, you can not enter the next parallel lane until you have signaled for at least two seconds in advance. Diving suddenly across multiple lanes of traffic into an exit is not just dangerous, it is absolutely illegal.

Driving sanely to the next exit may not be all that convenient sometimes, but nobody has the right to risk causing a wreck just because *they* were not paying attention to the job at hand.

My $.02 worth,

Infrared

I'm with Fooshee. On a rural two lane road there are many drivers that slow in the corners to the yellow truck advisory sign speeds, which are usually 10 or 20 mph below the speed limit, but then speed up to 10 or more over in the straights. I notice that many cruiser riders do the same thing.

And on the multi lane roads with 3 lanes, the middle lane meandering drivers, or worse the trucks who camp in the middle lane, really screw up the flow of traffic and eliminate the advantage of having the multiple lanes.

Irritants? Reminds me of the clown I came up on a few weeks back while riding home on an FM road. He was consistently going around 10 mph less than the limit on the straights and the yellow suggested speeds in the curves. I waited about 5 or 6 miles behind this joker for a good stretch with dotted lines to pass him (didn't want to be too much of a hooligan), doing my very best not to tail gate him in the process. When the time came with ample passing room and a dotted line I dropped a couple of gears and pinned it. 60 mph road and I'm going by this guy at around 75 mph, he speeds up AND swerves over at me 2 ft into my passing lane. I'm thinking holy hell, this shoulder chip bearing half wit is trying to kill me, so I pinned it full and now I'm up around 95 mph. I got past him then pulled back into my lane and reduced back down to 60 mph to resume my regularly scheduled programming, and within a short time that clown is right on my back door. Seems he had all the time of day until someone wanted to pass him. Things that make ya go hmm....

No rednecks near Snohomish I reckon?
...oh no, this is redneck and hillbilly central, especially when one gets too far off the beaten path.
omg2.gif

--G
The one that lives at your house..... wow! However, when we visited your neighbouring states have some nice rules about no more than 3 or 5 car holdups with special pull-offs for letting folks by. And the drivers there don't seem to mind that at all. I forget if WA had such a thing.........

My major gripe is anybody, cager or biker, who gets to their exit or turnoff and they are still in the fast lane. Then with no warning, no turn signals, and maybe just a glance, they abruptly "dive" across two or three traffic lanes to go out their exit or make their turn. Maybe they were texting, fooling with instruments/radios/kids, or they just had their head somewhere not on the road, but cutting fast across traffic lanes can get people hurt, or even killed. In my state, you can not enter the next parallel lane until you have signaled for at least two seconds in advance. Diving suddenly across multiple lanes of traffic into an exit is not just dangerous, it is absolutely illegal.
Driving sanely to the next exit may not be all that convenient sometimes, but nobody has the right to risk causing a wreck just because *they* were not paying attention to the job at hand.

My $.02 worth,

Infrared
+ a billion. Also in this group are those who make a left/right turn from an inside lane.

My one joy from this was one winter where we'd had a really good icing. I'd gone downtown for an event that ended up cancelled due to the bad weather and was on my way home. Up about a half mile ahead of me on a straight stretch of interstate (and near one of said exists) I saw an SUV going perpendicular to the road and headed for the guard rail. Mind you, not sliding sideways but as if they had entered from a nonexistent side road and went nose first across 4 lanes of interstate and straight into the guard rail. Sliding without any hope of slowing or stopping and knowing they were stupid the whole time they waited or the rail. Gladly we were the only 2 vehicles in sight and I out of their blast radius. My conclusion was that they did their usual dive-for-a-missed-exit trick and it bit them in the ass.

It's like people have forgotten there will be another exit ahead (or forgot that they can go around the block).

To follow up Bounce's post, I really hate when we have shitty weather, including wind, dust storms, rain and snow, and after its over the news proclaims the WEATHER caused x-number of wrecks. The weather did no such thing. The dumbshits that are too stupid to slow down or pay attention caused the wrecks. I have no sympathy for those idiots. I do feel bad for the people they hit.

The worst: slow in the curves, like 10 or 15 under the limit, then speed up to 10-over on the straights. You can't pass without begging for your license to be suspended.
This.

In the Colorado mountains, given the sheer traffic amounts, tight roads, and heavy tourist traffic, speed limits are set low (have been lowered from 10-20 years ago), and former passing zones are painted over with double yellow. It can be 10's of miles of continuous double yellow (no passing) through the best riding sections. We've plenty of flatland drivers that seem overwhelmed by the roads and many gawkers that are enjoying the sights, but it is surprising how many unobservant or uncaring drivers there are. When coming upon a straight open section that allows them 'relief' from the task of looking ahead, they then realize the line behind them--it appears natural instinct is to 'help' alleviate the traffic they've backed up by significantly speeding up. So only one or two vehicles get by before the next impass. It is really hard to resist the urge to pass the long lines of vehicles to get past the obstructing driver. But when I do get past such drivers, I let many know by giving them handwaves of "what are you thinking, pull over!" Many don't care, others are startled and pull over immediately.

Any that are cognizant and respectful enough to find a chance to pull over to allow others by receive a courteous 'thank you' or thumbs-up wave from me.

THe other oddity here in Colorado is the slow goers in the fast-lane. Dozens of cars pass around them to their right, yet they don't get it. Very strange (or belligerent?).

I was on a ride a weekend ago and simply did NOT enjoy it...came across many of the situations described above. Oh well. :(

Here just some, off the top of my head

1: No turn signals. This always gets the cussing started, especially when they turn into the turn lane, and then wait to put them on after they come to a stop at the light.

2: Rolling stops. You're on the primary road, doing 50 or so, when up ahead you see someone on a secondary road pull up, do a rolling stop and hurriedly pull out, then only do 35. 5 seconds of their time is soooo precious.

3: Cellphones. Especially those using them in large suv's.

4: On-ramps. Getting behind those taking an on-ramp to a interstate, and they max out at 45, then touch the brakes when it's time to merge.

5: Lane blockers. They're in the straight lane, but at the last minute they want to enter the left turn lane, but there's no room to fit. So they just sit there waiting for the turn light to go green. Meanwhile, a traffic jam ensues waiting on them. Just stay straight and do a u-turn for christ's sake!

These are just a few. Many times, I find myself fantasizing about having a James Bond styled missile launcher of some sort, to rectify idiot actions.

These are just a few. Many times, I find myself fantasizing about having a James Bond styled missile launcher of some sort, to rectify idiot actions.
I don't know if you could carry enough ammo!! This is why commuting and interstates would be something I try to avoid.