Key blank

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dravnx

Reaction score
Did my due diligence by searching but came up with nada. I'm looking for part numbers for a key blank. I want to make a few spares for my 15A. Almost got stuck yesterday. I had the left pannier partially opened with the key still in the lock. Was leaning over it fussing with some stuff in the box and when I stood up, noticed the key was bent about 45 deg. Luckily, I was a few steps away from a hardware store. I was able to borrow a hammer and their vice to straighten the key.

Click >>HERE<<, scroll down. Same key blank across all years, noting that there are special immobilizer keys for those in other countries.

Soft key, the key wears (and bends); very hard key, the tumblers in the lock wear (and the key snaps off).

Ilco blanks work well. I've had several made. The listing ionbeam pointed you towards has the blank number. Scroll down to "Ignition Keys"

I've ordered a few blanks from ebay that work fine, but I noticed they are much harder metal than the OEM key. If you like the OEM key (with it's softer metal along ionbeam's point above), the Yamaha part number is 4BH-82511-09-00

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly. And they're a few bucks, not dealership-expensive.

One thing I did with one of my spares was to grind down most of the wide head of the key on a bench grinder and I keep it in the inside pocket of my wallet.

My local Ace hardware always has YH63 HYKO blanks on hand -- I guess Ilco got too pricey (less profit?). Taiwan sourced, so still a step up from China. As previously noted, an actual locksmith will have the Ilco on hand, and be able to cut it right the first time. Even with the correct blank, pretty much every key I've had made took at least two runs through the cutter before it worked.

Wish I had looked here first.

Lost one of my FJR keys the other day. It drove me crazy cause I am normally good with keys and never lose them.

So I was getting the valve clearance checked at the Yamaha dealership and asked about a key.

$19.99!!! and it was not even cut.

Luckily the local hardware store down the street I do business with could cut it for me. Even got it right the first time.

I paid the dealership 20 bucks for a key cause I am leaving Friday on a couple week trip. I don't like to go on those kinds of trips without an extra key.

We should really carry an extra key for every vehicle we operate. Motorcycles with full fairings can be an excellent lesson in the need -- drop a key down the inside of the fairing at a roadside stop, and see how much fun it is to try to fish that key out of the quite hot exhaust pipes...

I bought blanks on ebay. I haven't used either of my originals except to make spares. I keep spares for every vehicle, usually concealed on the vehicle somewhere. I locked myself out of, and my spare inside of, the vehicle I was driving on a surveillance once time. It cured me permanently. Once, on my bmw, I got home and my keys (big ring, not the bike key) disappeared. I knew I had just had them. It drove me insane over a couple of days. It defied logic. Third or fourth day, I found the ring, and the paracord fob, welded to the headers of my R1150RTP. Getting the keys back was nice. Figuring out what had happened to them was priceless. They slid off my bag onto the volcanic pipes and became one with the eurotrash.

Last edited by a moderator: