Took my FJR to the California SuperBike School (with pics)!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcutler23693

Reaction score
So I decided to enroll in California SuperBike School's Level I and Level II classes. I wanted to improve my skills on the twisties. The School was at the Virginia International Raceway (VIR) last week.

Teaser Pic:

IMG53762.jpg

The school requires that you have 90% tread so I went ahead and bought new tires. I went with the Metzeler ROADTEC 01. The tires performed well, and I experienced no issues. The only "problem" I have with them is the fact that the front tire seems to be noisy. It "wurrrs" as it rolls (I'm guessing due to its unusual tread pattern). Anyway, most of day #1 was spent riding in the rain. As such, I gained a lot of confidence in these tires since I had no problem stopping and no loss of traction.

Here's me getting ready to embark on the 4 hour drive from Yorktown VA to Danville VA (where VIR is located). Thank God for cruise control:

FB_IMG_1471199472167.jpg

I stayed right on the property at VIR. They have various levels of lodging. This was the most affordable and you stay right next to the track (and have a view of the straight away):

Lodging.jpg

20160807_144459.jpg

Here's the view (to the right) out of the front door:

20160807_144926.jpg

California Superbike School brings everything via two tractor trailers and they set up various tents and classrooms. They provide motorcycles (BMW S1000RR) or you can use your own. Here is their setup:

20160809_163828.jpg

20160808_072624.jpg

20160808_072654.jpg

20160809_084633.jpg

Here are some of the personally owned bikes that students brought. My FJR is trying hard to fit in and look like a sport bike, lol:

20160808_072448.jpg

20160809_163816.jpg

20160808_140049.jpg

The training itself was amazing! I've been to a lot of schools over the years from various law enforcement schools, shooting and tactics schools, trade schools, business management schools, and I have to say....the California Superbike School ranks near (or at) the top! It is very well run and it appears that they have fine tuned their process over the years. The instructors are extremely knowledgeable and very patient. Here are some pics from the track:

IMG_6587.jpg

IMG54255.jpg

IMG_8413.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

IMG15083.jpg

IMG_6586.jpg

Here's me meeting with my coach after various sessions. Basically, the class goes like this: 20-30 min classroom lecture, then a 20-30 min break, then a 20 min track session, then you meet with your coach for 10 min, then you report back to the classroom for another 20-30 lecture, and the cycle repeats itself 5 times each day.

IMG_7203.jpg

IMG_7209.jpg

IMG_8361.jpg

aIMG_0218.jpg

aIMG15866.jpg

IMG53866.jpg

IMG53763.jpg

IMG_7605_1.jpg

IMG53833.jpg

I have a ton more pics but I'm sure you guys get the picture. Anyway, I highly recommend this school, and I personally plan on going back next year for Level III and Level IV. Now I am definitely ready to hit the twistes at the EOM in a few weeks!!!

Brian

I really want to do this. Finding the extra vacation days always seems to be the problem. That looks like a lot of fun and excellent training.

Always wanted to do something like this too. Good for you for making it a reality!

So in retrospect, what do you feel were the pros and cons of using your own bike? Great pics! I assume the school has a photographer at the event.

Very nice report and pictures. My first track day was on my 04 at Sears Point Raceway and like you I had a blast. No doubt having your bile on the track really helps know what it and you can do. I did realize the FJR is a big bike to hustle around the track and since then my track days have been on lighter bikes. Always a good time at the track on a bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
How cool is that. I've done FaST race school. Most fun I've ever had with my clothes on.

I was just reading about VIR this past weekend. Looks like a great place. I want to ride the track or do a track day, and do the full-auto gun shooting thing.

So in retrospect, what do you feel were the pros and cons of using your own bike? Great pics! I assume the school has a photographer at the event.
Good question...

PROS:

1. Gaining confidence on the bike that "I" ride (and not someone else's)
  2. Having the opportunity to experience the bike performing as it should (i.e. not sliding and not losing traction and stopping very quickly, etc.). As a rider, especially on twisties, I would always "hope" (and sometimes cringe) that the bike will perform during a sharp curve. Now I "know" it will!
  3. Learning the quirks and peculiarities of my bike: EX: The bar risers prevent me from establishing a more aggressive body position. Since the handle bars are closer to me, moving my head from one side to the other (like when setting up for a turn) my helmet bumps into my bar controls and ram mounts. The highway pegs I installed on my canyon cages may scrape before my pegs hit, which is not good (I may need to relocate them).
  4. Finally being able to let loose on my bike. Driving around town and on the highways rarely provides an opportunity to "NAIL IT" and just go as fast as the bike will go. And let me tell you...that FJR is scary fast (at least to me).
CONS:

1. Wear and tear on the motor, transmission, & drive line.
  2. Risk of crashing and damaging my own bike
  3. Not being able to drive the fastest production sport bike in the world (BMW S1000RR)

Hmmm…Now I am wondering if they have a special class for Florida riders (?) You know, like "Introduction to curves" or something like that.
uhoh.gif
That's exactly what this school is about. It's a "cornering school". The closest they come to Florida is Barber Motorsports Park in Alabama during the spring. Here's some info on their Level I class:

Level I addresses the six most common errors riders, from novice to world-class racers, make and why. You will realize exactly how they have stopped or slowed your own improvement as a rider. There will be a technical briefing for each one including on and off track drills that put you in control of them. Your assigned coach for the day will observe and correct any difficulties you are having with each drill. You will be coached as an individual, according to your skill level. You will improve.

Students often comment that Level I answers questions they didn’t even know they had.

Confidence and control are shattered when riders experience vague fears about turn entry speed, finding good lines, bike stability and their own rider-induced errors. These fears and uncertainties are addressed and replaced with confident and precise bike control. Within the boundaries of good sense and safety, the speed you ride is up to you.

We are very particular about our track course control, and we do have rules. Chief among them is: riders may not interfere with each other’s progress and safety. Because of this, after twenty-nine years and over ten million miles of track riding, the school has a phenomenal safety record. Check our schedule to find a date and track close to you.

Oh, I forgot to mention something else positive about this school. Most motorcycle racing schools require that you perform the following modifications to your bike prior to being allowed on the track:

• Bikes must have oil fill cap, oil drain plug, and oil filter safety wired
  • Liquid cooled bikes must run water only or racing approved coolant only, no anti-freeze
  • Remove mirrors, tape over all glass and lights AND tape over the speedometer
  • Side stand must be secured in the up position using safety wire or zip ties
The only thing California SuperBike School requires is 90% tread and that your bike be in good working order. At the beginning of each day, you run your bike through "tech" (their mechanics) and they inspect your bike, check your tire pressures (lower them for the track), ensure that all of the controls work, etc. They also ask that you tape up your speedometer and mirrors so that you don't become distracted by them.

What was the cost and where did you go to sign up?
At VIR, the cost is $475/day if you bring your own bike, OR $675/day if you use their bike (BMW S1000RR). They also can provide you with all of the gear (leathers, back protector, boots, gloves, helmet, etc.) for an additional $75.

They travel to various tracks across the US and the cost varies between tracks. Check out their website

Very nice report and pictures. My first track day was on my 04 at Sears Point Raceway and like you I had a blast. No doubt having your bile on the track really helps know what it and you can do. I did realize the FJR is a big bike to hustle around the track and since then my track days have been on lighter bikes. Always a good time at the track on a bike.
Yes, the FJR is quite larger and heavier than the sport bikes. Fortunately for me, I have never ridden a sport bike (I came from the cruiser world), and therefore, I had no idea what I was missing, lol.

The funny thing is that I actually passed a few sport bike during each of my track sessions. Here's what I observed.....if you apply the techniques they teach you correctly, you can drive through a curve at a higher speed than you might think. That's where I was passing other sportbikes (in the curves). I'm sure they were thinking, "how the heck is that FJR passing me??". I even had a student come up to me after a session as say, "Dude, you passed me like 3 or 4 times out there on that big thing!!!"

Now the straight aways were a different story. Those sport bikes blew by me!

I plan on taking Level III and Level IV next year when they return to VIR and I'm still going to use my bike. I don't want to "taste" a sport bike until I've completed all 4 levels.