Yamaha's Biggest Sale/Rebates?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choprzrul

Reaction score
I've decided to trade the 2013 FZ1 for a 2016 FJR. The power wheelie on a curvy on ramp this morning convinces me that this is the right decision. The hooligan in me loves it.....but the 50 year old bread winner knows better....

I've started the financing process to get pre approved, but now I need to find the best price.

When does Yamaha have its biggest sale/rebates during the year? Fall? Before Christmas? After New Years? I'm patient, so I don't mind playing the waiting game for the best bargain.

Unless you are dead set on a 16, there are amazing deals on 15's. There have been several posts about massive discounts given to certain dealers. The best I have seen is $9999 + $249 assembly +95 paperwork +$10 temp tag from Rich's Yamaha in IL. That is $5K+ off MSRP.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/168118-2015-otd-price/page-3

Alternatively, if you really want a 16, D&H Cycle in Cullman Al has been know to have some of the best current model year pricing.

The 2016 has 6 gears, vs 5 gears on the 2015. Buy a 2016, and you'll have to work your left ankle 20% more. You will also get razzle-dazzle LED headlights on your 2016, but they'll all light up when you drop her in a parking lot -- making sure everyone in a 3-mile radius knows what you've done. (Yes, you will do this eventually.) The 2016 has a slipper clutch, in case you don't already know how to downshift smoothly.

Get a 2015 at extraordinary savings, learn how to downshift properly, and rest easy about stressing your left ankle and calf muscle. Use the cash you saved to pay your way to Hooterville and show us your shiny new Liquid Graphite motorbike.

[serious] As for sales/rebates, I cannot speak definitively, but like most vehicle sellers, last year's model goes on sale when this year's model hits the showroom floor. That will likely be in November. [/serious]

Sincerely,
Uncle Hud
Mr. Respectful

a 60-year-old breadwinner

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think you will like the gear ratios on the 6-speed compared to your 5-speed. I don't think many folks give a rip about a slipper clutch either. Then there is that color. Go with the '15 and don't look back.

Quit trying to talk him out of a '16, Can't y'all tell he has his mind made up already? Sheesh, jealousy....

Look for a left over '16 when the new model hits dealers. Since it looks like you're in Cali (?) and unless you go with a slightly used (over 7500 miles) machine, buying new leaves you out of the most outrageous deals.

Keep your eyes open for in state deals...they'll come along!

Good luck!

--G

I'm holding out for a 16 mainly for the blue. I do like the slipper clutch and 6speed but i could add the clutch to another model and i do have the RMSports Max rear gear to simulate OD. So, I could settle for 13 also because of the color and that is really the only other model I'm interested in.

The grays and blacks do not turn me on, dispite the available deals.

So personally if a 13 shows up locally I may spring for that once I see it in person, otherwise a demo or leftover 16 will be next ride.

I waited until the end of the year, and bought a 14. Depreciation of outgoing year models combined with the Overlook Hotel-esque deserted quality of the average showroom in winter usually add up to nice savings.

I had a 14A for a partial season and now I have a 16A. The 6th gear is worth the upgrade in my book if you plan to do touring. LED lighting is a nice upgrade as well. I think winter time is the best time to buy a moto, probably after the first of the year. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
'16's left over at the end of the year, will probably be your best time to buy, and may even have Yamaha incentives. Of course, if you're REALLY patient, wait, and find one still on the floor 3 yrs from now. You'd have the patience of a Saint, if you can wait that long though. :popesmiley:

'16's left over at the end of the year, will probably be your best time to buy, and may even have Yamaha incentives. Of course, if you're REALLY patient, wait, and find one still on the floor 3 yrs from now. You'd have the patience of a Saint, if you can wait that long though.
popesmiley.png
A saint I am not..... :)

Thank you one and all for your comments.

I really wish Yamaha had put the R1 electronic on the FJR for '16..... keep me out of trouble in the twisties.

What really surprises me is that the 2016 FJR is narrower (29.5") compared to the older FZ1 (30.3") models like I have. Granted, not quite an inch.....but sometimes when splitting lanes every little bit helps :)

I wonder if the 2016 with the YCC-T will have an ECU that will accept an aftermarket flash??

Anyway....I'm looking forward to having a bit more protection on my daily commute. The FZ1 is great fun, but the morning marine layer leaves me with wet legs from the knees down almost every morning.

Unless you are dead set on a 16, there are amazing deals on 15's. There have been several posts about massive discounts given to certain dealers. The best I have seen is $9999 + $249 assembly +95 paperwork +$10 temp tag from Rich's Yamaha in IL. That is $5K+ off MSRP.
Road mine home today from Rich's Yamaha. Live nearby, and the deal is good! Traded my brand new 12 in, (still under factory warranty). And I am amazed with the 15. Mike, Misty and John were awesome to deal with.

Guess my username might need a change, Lol!

There are some great deals on '15s right now including $1000 rebate (Yamaha bucks). Not sure on the '16 models.

Whether a 6 sp is worth the price premium is something you'll have to consider. I personally wouldn't mind one, but not willing to pay a price premium for it. There will be great deals on them in time.

Best time to buy new? I think now to the first of the yr, esp from dealerships up north because many of them transition to sleds and 4 wheelers, and if they don't sell motorcycles on the floor then it will be there in the spring alongside the new models.

IDK, I would like one of the new ones, but my old '09A still runs good w/108K miles on the clock. It's basically not worth a lot now but still has lots of use left in it. These bikes are so good, I think they are their own enemy as far as value. There are so many good used examples for sale at great prices that it makes new ones less of a deal at anywhere near msrp.

Yamaha like many high end equipment manufacturers has to forever come up with some new whistle and or bell just so they can sell you a new whatever it is. A six speed trans that nobody really needs or a so called slipper clutch that you can, for a few bucks, install in an earlier model and on and on and.......

Personally I don't like the gen3 body work panels compared to the gen2 and the gen2 doesn't win any prizes in this department. The Japanese must be into puzzles like the Rubric Cube.

Don't get me wrong I do like the FJR, a lot.

You need to ride one. I didn't expect much difference, mainly wanted the cruz. But, I cant put into words how much refinement there is.

So I seen that Yamaha is offering $500 cash on the 2016 FJR1300A......so I called my local dealer to see what his pricing OTD would be. He came back with $16,800.00 including all setup, delivery, sales tax, and CA licensing.

Still higher than I want to pay.

So.....I filled out the form on Costco's vehicle purchase program website. I'm thinking about driving down to Thousand Oaks tomorrow to see what kind of price they can offer. Costco requires you to show up in person to get their pricing. I wonder if I get the $500 factory incentive if I go with the Costco option?

I also see that the Yamaha dealer in Hayward (Bay area) has a test ride event coming up in 2 weeks. I might take a day off work and drive up to ride an R1S, MT10, and then the FJR....I like the idea of riding those 3 to see how they compare :)

Anyway, I'm betting that sometime between Thanksgiving and the end of January there will be a factory incentive of $1500 cash for the FJR1300A......If nobody can get me down to my $15,000 OTD price target now, they should be able to then.

What does the community think?

Nothing to lose in waiting a few months. Will there be more [bigger] incentives later in the year...who knows.

Good luck!

--G

Latest posts