Power commander on Gen 3 bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhkfjr

Reaction score
I'm just about done with all the farkles on my new '15A ! The last thing I'm considering is a PC V. I have no obvious need for this as my bike runs fine. My only thought is is that it would run cooler with some increased fuel. I'm under the impression that Yamaha has tuned the ECM to run as lean as possible to pass fuel emission tests (14.7 stoich) but a slightly richer mix (13.8) would generally be better as the unburned fuel would carry some heat out and maybe run a little smoother.

The Rep. at Dynojet says the stock map on their V is # 2256001 and in simple terms adds about 8% fuel across the board. It also comes with a single channel O-2 Optimizer to manage the stock closed loop. It adjusts other ranges and conditions at various throttle openings etc. that have supposedly been optimized for this bike. I've searched all over and other than a "you don't need it, waste of money" I've been unable to find any discussion about this. Any thoughts or experience here would be greatly appreciated since I have an unopened unit and can't decide whether to install it !

You're not likely to find any discussion, you might be the first to ask. You don't need it, waste of money. GenIII's throttle by wire is good across the board, the 'benefits' of a PC-V would be small IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that I don't need it and the benefits if any would be minimal. I'm trying to figure out if running a little richer is a little better than running as lean as possible. I don't expect anything dramatic, just if managing fuel as if there were no emission tests is better overall.

If you wanted to try 'as lean as possible' you'd need a stock '06 or '07.... steady improvements were made in subsequent years, but GenIII's upped it a notch..... they run pretty darn good. I say sell the PC-V.

Listen to Ray ^^^^ incremental improvements for the '08 and newer model years have pretty much eliminated any **need** for a PC.

**Want** of course, is a completely different discussion!

--G

I understand that running cooler is better but there are many Gen III engines running with very high milage on them and stock mapping. It appears there is very little need to worry about extending engine life by running cooler.

I understand that running cooler is better but there are many Gen III engines running with very high milage on them and stock mapping. It appears there is very little need to worry about extending engine life by running cooler.
Considering his location, I suspect the OP was more concerned with the heat getting to him rather than any performance/longevity improvement.

So I installed it. I was at the dealer for an oil change appointment and still on the fence. I decided that if the dealer was all set to do it, not running behind, nobody out sick, etc that I'd just have them install it while I waited. They said no problem, should take about 1-1/2 hours. (I wound up waiting over 4 hours).

OK, the results are...... I can't tell much of a difference. Bike runs exactly the same temp. @80mph cruise (163 deg.)

No more or less power I could feel. (Didn't expect any)

Same heat issue on left side

Bike does seem to run smoother! Totally dead handgrips up to 4,000, then very slight vibe above. Much less than previously. Since the majority of my riding is slab, this is a nice surprise. This is on the edge of subjective, I know, but I do feel the difference. Was it worth $400? Yeah, I'd do it again but I wouldn't want to suggest that it solves anything that's amiss. I'm sure the bike is just fine as is.

Does the PC do anything to improve the on/off snatchiness of throttle when going from fully closed to just a little throttle....eg coming in to an intersection with closed throttle and fairly low rpm and adding just a little .

This is my only complaint with the Gen3 tuning.

A friend who operates Shoodabenengineering.com has a flash for the C14 that completely transforms IT'S bad throttle manners (like getting a new bike). He was able to tune the above issue completely out and C14 can be made smooth as silk. His flash on C14 will also badly spank my FJR in any type of roll-on comparison, much more so than when C14 was stock flash.

Sorry Canadian, this does nothing for that throttle snatch on Gen 3s. The only difference I can feel is the vibration in the grips (4200 rpm) is significantly less, practically gone. So to me the bike just runs smoother. I like to think the engine is running a little cooler with the increased fuel but I couldn't say for sure, just theoretical.

The engine temperature is controlled by the thermostat, it should never run "cooler". The combustion temperature is mostly a product of fuel (higher octane, slightly less heat).