Out with the old, in with the new

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birkdale10

Reaction score
Just a bittersweet post.

After almost 12 years (bought: Oct 2004, sold Aug 2016) and 102,000 miles, the old 2005 FJR is out of the garage. It's at a place in Dallas called 'CrashedToys', even though it has never crashed. But, I needed it out of the garage, they gave me cash, and the local Yamaha shops were worse than useless.

I will complain briefly:

I asked Freedom Powersports in Lewisville, TX what the value of the bike was, what with the miles and general condition. I was told 'about $3600'. It was in their service dept in Mid-July to replace a voltage regulator, and they had plenty of time to inspect it, ride it, check everything. When I picked it up, I talked to the sales manager with two other salesmen in the office, and said, if you give me $2000 cash, you can have it, but I need it until the beginning of August (3 weeks away). I could see the $$$$ in their eyes, and I got a verbal commitment and a handshake. I came back in August and ... well, "the used bike market is slow", "the bosses out of state say not to buy", etc, etc. Excuses.

I'm fairly old-school on some things. If the manager of the sales department gives a verbal commitment and a handshake, that is the end of the discussion to me. If this had been 'me' as that manager, and a higher authority said don't buy it...I would have bought that bike I made a commitment on out of my own money. I did not think I needed a signed piece of paper. I had a promise. A person's word is (should be) their bond.

Complaint over.

Now to put lots and lots of miles on the 2016 model. Vague plan: A conference in Las Vegas in mid-November. Hopefully, good weather, and I'll try to get to the California border just north of Tijuana (southwesternmost point) as a via-destination to add a few more states to my magnetic map on the wall (29 so far).

Just a bittersweet post.
After almost 12 years (bought: Oct 2004, sold Aug 2016) and 102,000 miles, the old 2005 FJR is out of the garage. It's at a place in Dallas called 'CrashedToys', even though it has never crashed. But, I needed it out of the garage, they gave me cash, and the local Yamaha shops were worse than useless.

I will complain briefly:

I asked Freedom Powersports in Lewisville, TX what the value of the bike was, what with the miles and general condition. I was told 'about $3600'. It was in their service dept in Mid-July to replace a voltage regulator, and they had plenty of time to inspect it, ride it, check everything. When I picked it up, I talked to the sales manager with two other salesmen in the office, and said, if you give me $2000 cash, you can have it, but I need it until the beginning of August (3 weeks away). I could see the $$$$ in their eyes, and I got a verbal commitment and a handshake. I came back in August and ... well, "the used bike market is slow", "the bosses out of state say not to buy", etc, etc. Excuses.

I'm fairly old-school on some things. If the manager of the sales department gives a verbal commitment and a handshake, that is the end of the discussion to me. If this had been 'me' as that manager, and a higher authority said don't buy it...I would have bought that bike I made a commitment on out of my own money. I did not think I needed a signed piece of paper. I had a promise. A person's word is (should be) their bond.

Complaint over.

Now to put lots and lots of miles on the 2016 model. Vague plan: A conference in Las Vegas in mid-November. Hopefully, good weather, and I'll try to get to the California border just north of Tijuana (southwesternmost point) as a via-destination to add a few more states to my magnetic map on the wall (29 so far).

If you are going to plan a visit to California from Las Vegas you may want to consider riding thru Death Valley at that time of the year. From the west side of the Valley you can take CA178 to US395 to I15 to San Diego. Avoid Los Angeles as the traffic and roads are the shits!!

Congrats on your new bike. Your experience is no surprise with the name Freedom Powersports. Im 18 hours away from the Mexican border, but I'm considering a speed run down and back this fall. If my '14 is running in time. Good luck with your trip.

Just a bittersweet post.

I will complain briefly:

Complaint over.

If you are going to plan a visit to California from Las Vegas you may want to consider riding thru Death Valley at that time of the year. From the west side of the Valley you can take CA178 to US395 to I15 to San Diego. Avoid Los Angeles as the traffic and roads are the shits!!
+1 on avoiding Lost Angeles. Any time I need to ride through there, I try to plan the transit between 0400 and 0530.

Lane sharing makes it barely tolerable when an early run isn't an option.

Enjoy your new wheels and your trip!

Did you try the other Yamaha dealer that's about 15 miles south in Irving Texas? I have had much better service with them. They are smaller, but please check them out, since we need to keep them around as an alternative for that dealership you went to.

I tend to agree with you. If someone with the authority to do so makes a commitment, it should be honored. We don't know if he really had the authority, though. Nonetheless, it would seem the dealer would stand behind it even if the employee got a good attitude adjustment over it.

Congratulations on the new bike.

Latest posts