BigJohn's 2017 BIG Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjohnsd

2021 BMW R1250GSA
Reaction score
Several folks have asked where I am planning an event for 2017, I offered to run a FODS/FJR event here in Spearfish but received little encouragement.

As the summer wore on I received an invite to head North next June.

My 2017 looks busy, after returning from Australia in April I will do Tyler's Yosemite ride, return home and then jump on the KLR for this adventure:

https://goo.gl/maps/FgfWJTFkNPx

Spearfish%20SD%20USA%20to%20Spearfish%20SD%20USA%20-%20Google%20Maps_zpski6ue4d5.png

I have three old shipmates that are in for the Spearfish to Inuvik run, after that I'm on my own.

Anyone want to go?

Last edited by a moderator:
Very similar to the route I took (with 3 others) in 1992. I have always wanted to go back to Inuvik riding something other than a full dress touring bike. Is any additional info available at this time.....dates, overnight stops?

In early planning stages now. One of the other three just dropped out.<br />

<br />

Looking like we will hit Dust to Dawson event on the way in/up. Dust to Dawson is June 15-16 2017. <a href='https://dawsoncity.ca/event/dust-2-dawson-motorcycle-ride-rally/'>https://dawsoncity.ca/event/dust-2-dawson-motorcycle-ride-rally/</a><br />

<br />

Then up the highway to Inuvik, back down, over the Top of The World and on to Fairbanks. <br />

<br />

Not sure the other two will do the Fairbanks on adventures. They've been there before.

We could rendezvous at your house for the trip up.

Always wanted to do that ride on my KLR. Guess I'll just watch you do it and fantasize.

Always wanted to do that ride on my KLR. Guess I'll just watch you do it and fantasize.
It would just be a fantasy for me if I had to ride a KLR.....its just barely doable for my old butt with a S10....and that's with great weather and a comfortable bed every night.

It would just be a fantasy for me if I had to ride a KLR.....its just barely doable for my old butt with a S10....and that's with great weather and a comfortable bed every night.
My KLR is quite comfy with a few upgrades and a wonderful Russell seat. Agree on the weather and a good bed.

My KLR is quite comfy with a few upgrades and a wonderful Russell seat. Agree on the weather and a good bed.
Comfy KLR??? Sounds like you need to put a trailer hitch on it and hit the road.

Back to John's trip for those interested but don't have a dual purpose bike, over 90 percent of the route is pretty good paved roads and even the dirt roads (Dempster and Top of the World Highways) are in pretty good shape and easy to ride with street tires....when dry.

Modifications to consider;

Ride the Campbell Hwy (Hwy 4) between Watson Lake and Carmacks... If it is fairly dry.

While in Anchorage head down to Seward and/or Whittier.

While in Fairbanks ride to the Arctic Circle and/or Manley Hot Springs.

Side trip to Skagway from Whitehorse. The White Pass is fantastic.

Side trip to Hyder from the Cassiar (Hwy 37). Great 40 mile ride into Stewart.

Oh, and putting a Russell seat on a KLR is like putting lipstick on a hog.

The planning continues. Latest email from the Organizer

Gents,

Here is the game plan so far.

Depart from CA: 4 June

Return to CA: 29 June

25 days of riding and relaxing..

I sent the proposed route via sepcor

Conops:

Preparations:

1. Tires: should be new, bring spare for the Dempster.plus tools to change the tire on the road, including a cigarette adapter for a pump

2. Towing: Should be available all along the route, but can get very expensive. Dempster does have towing, but make sure you have a plan like BMW or AMA or MOA that will respond

3. I will carry a SPOT device for GPS emergencies.

4. Make sure your medical will work in Canada, bring pertinent data, e.g. blood type, authorization numbers for hospitals to call for insurance purposes

5. Dempster has a legitimate town at the end in Inuvik.so we will have a place to stay.

6. Accommodations:

a. I will be camping and staying at hotels..usually depending upon the weather, a cool rain is enough to drive me inside

b. In most cases there will be a place to rent a room.but they may be filled up along the Al-Can Highway, so calling ahead based on progress is a good idea

7. Weather, could be freezing in the AM, but usually in the high 50s, and in Inuvik the mid 30s in the AM with warming during the day. Rain will happen, our experience is that it was not a hard driving rain but more steady. Make sure you have waterproof everything.

8. Bikes and their cleanliness: uh, you are going to get dirty, end of story.

9. Road Conditions:

1. Al-Can Highway is mostly paved, however the summer season is the season to make repairs and resurface the road, so there will be stops for convoys and a lead truck to get us through the work zones. Speeds are limited to a max of 20 but frequently slower. The Al-Cans bridges have grated surfaces, which Im sure all of you have done before, they just get a little squiggly. You may find yourself riding in ruts.

2. Dempster highway, is a dirt and rock road, and we will have about 900 miles on it. When wet it is slicker than snot on a doorknob. This however, is manageable through speed. You may find ruts and standing water, as well as shale on the road. Again here, there will be maintenance to keep the road hard packed with whatever the name is of that chemical that hardens the surface (but alternatively makes it slick too)

3. Top of the World Highway: Not really maintained as well as the Dempster, but none the less a very enjoyable ride. Does have some ruts on the road outside of Chicken, but the scenery is outstanding.

10. Customs and Immigration:

1. US side, just officious, carry your passport and no problem

2. Canada: Professional pricks, do not under any circumstances bring a firearm, if they think you have one, you will have to tear your bike apart, especially at the station bordering the Top of the World Highway and into and out of Skagway.

11. Wildlife:

1. Bears, yes, sometimes along side the road, they look uninterested, but could charge at any time. Only saw black bears on the road, grizz could be anywhere at any timeavoid, rule for them is to view over 150 meters away, carry bear spray

2. Moose: Yes, they are dumber than a box of hammers, but kick forward, they have low attention spans, so avoid

3. Wolves: Yes, no real issue here

4. Bison: Yes, they will be on the road in BC, sometimes causing a traffic jamdo not provoke, these are huge animals

5. Musk Ox: Probably on the Dempster only.same rules apply

6. Mosquitoes: Yes, more than you have ever seen before, cover up, get spray, can become very thick at the Arctic Circle.I will have netting with me to wear over my face

7. Elk: Yes, dont provoke

8. Small Critters, yes, provoke all you want

12. Communications:

1. Expect spotty cell coverage, mostly around towns, assume not all of Dempster is covered. Prep your phone plan to either accept data or not, if you are roaming without a plan read about a 20K nightmare some guy had.

13. Fuel:

1. Will vary as you head north, remember that Canada charges by the liter, and the availability of premium and mid grade may be spotty as well. Payment is ok with credit, but there is always the possibility that the single pump is down for credit purchases, or "our computer is down", whatever that means. If you require premium, fill your extra canister with it at the first opportunity.

2. Probably likely that you will need an extra fuel canister on the Dempster. We did on the Dalton and used every drop of it. However, since the Dempster is a tad shorter and has a town or two, there may be fuel, but bring an extra can is a good idea.

14. Ferries

1. We will have two ferry rides as part of the trip plan I sent, those ferries are free. If you want to break off and take either a BC ferry or the Alaska Marine Highway Ferry, that will cost two ways, the bike and your accommodation, reservations for that should be made by January.perhaps earlier. You will have to google the Alaska Marine Highway and BC Ferries to get data for that.

Riding:

If there are five of us, we will take turns in the lead. Last time, we pushed it a little, but I have no problem stopping to stretch or prevent sleepiness. I started drinking 5-Hour Energy Drinks and that helps me stay awake. I was thinking that a 12 hour day is a good way to plan, but that will be modified based on weather, progress due to road conditions, rider fatigue or breakdowns. You cant go wrong bringing extra tools.

If you have an idea of things you want to do, lets get it out in the open so that we dont miss things. For example, I want to see the original bridges on the Alaska Highway, and some of those are a couple of clicks from the current road. As we get closer to the date we can work all of that out.

Liberty Ports:

This is a lot of riding, but we should spend a day mucking about in several spots. My preference would be Dawson City, and the Dust to Dawson event. There is a saloon and gambling hall, with dancers, we must stay for the late show, wink nod, with the Dust to Dawson Crowd. Also, Skagway seems like a spot to enjoy. Most of the towns along the way, are one light towns, so not a tremendous R and R opportunity.just lots of riding and then chillaxin later on. Whitehorse may be a good stop as well. Need to do some research on that. (We stopped for a few hours previously).

Cash:

Most places will exchange USD for CAD, I will probably load up on CAD and loonies.

Mechanical:

Aside from tires, if you have parts that are known to fail, bring a replacement with you.and the appropriate tools.

Packing:

1. This is what you have to prepare for: Cool temps, Rain, and the appropriate change of clothes so that the stink wont kill your fellow riders. It is possible, that on the Dempter we stage our excess equipment not needed on the Dempster in Dawson for retrival upon our return.

2. Clothing should do several things, keep you warm, and that may mean an investment in a heated jacket. I will be taking three sets of gloves.just in case. If you use Gore-Tex, it does work up there.

3. With the extra gas can, and perhaps tires, you will have an unusual load, half the fun is preparing for this it seems, so while keeping the packing light and throwing out 30 percent after you figure it out, dont assume you wont need something if it is really critical.

4. Bring camping gear, even if you assume you will be staying in the hotel.you just never know. You wont need to bring a tent, Kip and I have that covered.

Intercepts:

1. Kip will be coming from Alamosa, CO, and I assume John and Burt from Spearfish. Kip can meet me around Boise, and the rest of us can RDVU near the US-Canada border I would say, on the 7th or 8th. We should always plan on this to be ahead of PIM, so the earlier the better.

END MSG

Addendum:

This is going to be a huge amount of fun and challenging for us 60 year olds.

Here is the Dust to Dawson data; 15-17 June..and a link: https://dawsoncity.ca/event/dust-2-dawson-motorcycle-ride-rally/

Im sure there is more that we need to cover, but the best reference for stuff along the way is www.themilepost.com, the 2017 edition has not yet been released.

Current ride route/plan is here:

https://rideplanner.harley-davidson.com/rideplanner/road.jsp?roadId=845650&locale=en_US

A KLR with a Russell seat may be a hog with lipstick but will last longer and be cheaper to maintain than fency ADV machines.:) :) :)

A KLR with a Russell seat may be a hog with lipstick but will last longer and be cheaper to maintain than fency ADV machines.:) :) :)
The older carbureted version KLR can be fixed using nothing more than a rock. Very simple design but the rear shock is a weak point. Many a KLR rear suspension has turned into a pogo stick after a hard hit on a pothole.

I would consider doing a drop shipment of tires to Dawson City for the run up the Dempster. The shale road surface has a reputation for shedding tires.

This is the area of ADV Rider where you can find the most information about Dust to Dawson (https://advrider.com/index.php?forums/alaska.68/). This is the sign-up thread for 2016; it will provide background info on the event. (https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/2016-dust-2-dawson-sign-up-thread-read-1st-post-before-posting.1115559/). I'll start the 2017 sign-up thread in January. Signing-up for D2D does not cost anything, nor commit you to attending, but it does give the organizers a planning figure to work with. If you just show-up, then no one will check to see if you previously signed-up.

I saw scores of KLRs from the lower 48 pass thru Fairbanks on their way to and from Deadhorse. They are a tough, reliable and simple bikes. It seemed that once or twice a summer a KLR would show up that was using oil at a huge rate and was down on power. This was typically caused by the failure of the lands between the ring grooves on the piston. It was most common on bikes that had been ridden long distances at interstate speeds on the way up north. Most could be fixed with the installation of a 680 kit. There is an inmate in the MatSu who keeps a kit in stock and he can do it in an afternoon. If the bore is damaged, then it may require a rebore and the use of a 720 kit. This will take a couple of days.

I would consider doing a drop shipment of tires to Dawson City for the run up the Dempster. The shale road surface has a reputation for shedding tires.
When I did the Dempster in 1992, there was very little, if any, shale on the Yukon portion. However, the NWT portion of the Dempster, about 120 miles, was a shale nightmare. It appeared that the highway department had dropped about 6 inches of shale on the entire 120 miles and then left it for the big trucks to pound into the surface, creating road tracks for motorcycles that were about 2 feet wide. The road surface was like a washboard that never ended, creating hydraulic lock in the damper rod front forks, and miserable vibration. The shale itself was like tiny arrowheads and tire punctures were very common. The trucks all carried on board compressors to re-inflate tires.

We were all riding touring bikes with K491 tires, which had very hard rubber, but one rider suffered a very bad rock cut that required tire replacement. My tire survived the trip but after I got home I found at least a dozen very small rock chips embedded in the steel cord. If I were to ride the Dempster again, I would want a hard rubber tire with as deep of tread as possible and also put a bottle of flat proof in each tire. If you want to have a scheduled tire change before the Dempster, I don't know if anyone in Dawson City provides those services but we used a Honda dealership in Whitehorse (which is only 700 miles from Inuvik).

I suspect the shale drop on the highway is probably an annual event. We started our trip on July 5 and it appeared to only be a couple of weeks old. If you make the trip before they dropped the shale the road it would probably be an easy ride on any dual purpose bike.

Well... I will be buying a KLR this winter and Alaska has always been on my bucket list...

Organizer's message make s reference to "CA". Is that California or Canada?

Ignore that last question. I see he's riding from San Diego. On a GS, I presume :)

My personal motto is Vivo Ut Vivas, so hell yeah!

Elephant in the room is that I'm still burdened by the employment process. Technically, I'll have enough vacation accrual to cover the trip. Whether or not I can get four contiguous weeks is the wild card. Hold my place and give me a couple of weeks to work it. I really, really, really want to say yes.

Greetings from Whitehorse. Your trip looks good and you are traveling at the best time. The Dempster is like riding through a National Geographic Magazine. As for weather you could experience everything from hot weather to snow so plan for the worse and hope for the best. As for a tire drop, I have had folks send tires to me in Whitehorse then change in Dawson or as another rider indicated at the Honda shop in Whitehorse. You and your other riders are welcome to use my shop in Whitehorse if you want. Send me a private email.

Mike

'14 es

'04 Ducati ST3

'75 Water buffalo