Best GPS/Mount Combo...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the SW-Motech TechMount for my Zumo 590 ...

FJR%20GPS%20mount%20-%201_zpsjagzbwvi.jpg

Got it from TwistedThrottle but it's available elsewhere as well.

It features a quick-release mount, but since the Zumo is hardwired into the bike, that's pointless. If I'm concerned about securing the GPS itself, I just take it off the Garmin mount and either take it with me, or stow it in the top box.

ian

I bought the N-Line Dash shelf because I wanted it to sit up higher, more in my line of sight. The maker of this is now taking orders before he makes another batch. You can find it under Group Buys. It is so easy to install and makes a great very stable base for your GPS!

Really love my Techmount... the "best" GPS is what you can afford or the one that offers the features you need (best would be a Zumo if you are looking for waterproof, glove friendly - but they are expensive. So some will say to get a Nuvi and use a ziplok bag). If money is not an issue, the Zumo 590 is nice. I went with a 660 for much less money. No more foggy ziplok bags to protect my GPS in the rain.

Here is a link for the Techmount : https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/150160-gps-mounting-location/page-3?hl=techmount

My photos in that link are of my old GPS unit which failed after 2 yrs. I then went with a 2797 (7 inch screen, works with gloves but not waterproof). So, now I am using a 660 (more affordable than a 590). But still using my Techmount.... love it.

Hard to beat the WynPro RamBone for a place to mount pretty much any GPS that will mount via RAM parts. I have a Heli Bridge on my 2014 and can't use the Ram Bone anymore, but I always ran one on my '05. Now I just use the Ram ball screwed into the Heli Bridge.

THe nice part about the RAM mounts is they provide some shock isolation to the GPS device via the rubber balls. You do have to figure out a way to secure it from theft as the ease of installation is also easy of de-installation. ;) A short length of steel wire cable and a small padlock usually does the trick, one way or another.