Stumble/surging on 2014

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csi

Reaction score
Bone stock 2014.....28000 miles.

At about 25k, it began to develop a surge while at cruise RPM.....doesn't really matter which gear or speed, although it is more prevalent in 4th and 5th. While keeping just enough throttle to maintain speed (either manually or with the cruise set) it will stumble just a bit....long enough for the ECO light to go out and come back on. There are no codes being thrown, and no hard starting issues. To go along with the above issue, it has also developed a stumble just off of idle, such as when gradually pulling away from a stop.

Ideas?

I am going to start with a new air cleaner, new plugs and TB synch. BIke has the original plugs and a/c in it, and I never have had the TB synch done.

My first guess would be plugs. Haven't heard about any issues with the coil setup but this might be worth checking. Only other thing that occurs to me is a dirty fuel injector. Might give it a Ringfree or Seafoam enema after changing plugs.

I found a thread that outlined similar symptoms very shortly after posting mine.

Hope to hell my issues aren't that problematic !! If so, I will park this thing untl next spring and trade it in on a new one ! !

OP- I had done (or had someone do) all scheduled maintenance up to the time I turned my 14 in. Replacing plugs, checking air cleaner, adding techron, TBS, valve adj,, changing where I fueled, all done before I surrendered it, with no effect. Since April, besides checking and testing a bunch of stuff looking for the problem, the dealer cleaned the fuel injectors and changed the oil, as directed by Yamaha. Today, they're changing plugs again, on the off chance that it helps while we wait several more weeks for parts. In my case, the problem worsened over time to the point the bike could not be ridden safely. I'm an idiot, and should have parked it long before I did. As you can see in my trouble thread, it appears likely that complete throttle body assembly replacement will be the likely fix for my bike. The downside is, we may never know what part actually went bad, which would be useful for folks not under warranty.

I had the same symptoms. Search in Tech/Mech folder for "Intermittent" for some background info, and in Bill's thread for a real nightmare.

Short version: my issue was resolved with a Throttle Position Sensor replacement. Part number 2S3-85885-00, $101 from Boatsdotnet. Took three weeks to get it, so plan ahead.

Conclusion: some defective parts from a vendor made it into assembly plant inventory.

^^^
Want to send me your dead TPS? I have seen the guts of the Gen I TPS and it was a 'wear-out' issue due the the materials it was made from, not defective parts. Could be another TSB coming from Yamaha on this part.

Edit: Contact made with red2kcbr, working out the details to receive the deceased from Tx.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the TPS tip......I am still gonna replace plugs, air filter and to the TB Synch...and if that doesn't solve the problem, I will order the TPS over the winter months.....

If I were double jointed, I'd be kicking myself in the can for not buying the extended warranty....

I have the extended warranty. And I availed myself of it. It's five months after the problem began, and I can tell you without reservation that, given my experience with Yamaha regarding this particular problem, I would not hesitate to buy a TPS and have it installed (as several wise folks suggested) before giving up riding as long as I've had to. Hindsight is 20/20.

^^^Want to send me your dead TPS? I have seen the guts of the Gen I TPS and it was a 'wear-out' issue due the the materials it was made from, not defective parts. Could be another TSB coming from Yamaha on this part.

Edit: Contact made with red2kcbr, working out the details to receive the deceased from Tx.
This will be interesting. I would say that I thought Yamaha would have learned their lesson from the Gen I TPS problems but, unfortunately, any company can be at the mercy of a sub-standard parts supplier. Problems sometimes don't show up for months (or years) and although the parts supplier may lose future work with Yamaha, the damage is often already done. 100% QC is not possible but it would be nice to see an appropriate service escalation to fix things as well as an acknowledgement of the issue (if there is one).

My take-off TPS was mailed to ionbeam this morning. Hopefully an examination of the part will show us something.

Thanks to ionbeam for taking the time to check it out.

For the greater good, of course. Regardless of what I'm riding down the road, I'll be looking for my symptoms in other FJR's online for years to come. Ion- In the words of Mr. Dolby- "Science!"

I have a '14ES with 29000+ miles that developed the same symptoms as the OP's (and Bill's) about two months ago. I was on a 600 mile ride week before last and the stumbling and surging got irritating enough I stopped and picked up a bottle of Seafoam and gave the bike a triple dose for two consecutive tanks. It has essentially cured the problem so I must of had an accumulated crud situation. Lucky me.

It's interesting that we've had three '14's reported with similar problems, at similar mileage, with different causes.

Oh, as an aside my VIN is 427.

I seafoamed and techron'd before my initial dealer visit in April 2016. They cleaned injectors and some other stuff. Only continued to get worse. If I had it to do over, I'd have paid to replace the tps just to see. Past a certain point in the warranty repair process, I just needed to let them see it through. In the interest of letting them honor the warranty, however slowly, and to see how long Yamaha could take to fix a bike under warranty, all the while refusing to entertain any discussion of providing a demo bike, rental bike, or other consideration for their failure to repair the bike in a timely fashion.

The "timely fashion" part is certainly valid. IMO Yamaha should be providing a loaner from the time that parts were deemed 'not yet available'.