Dealer recommendations in Philadelphia PA

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSaul

Reaction score
Looking for dealer recommendations in the Philadelphia PA area. I am up here on business and rode my bike up and had an incident with West Virginia speed bumps (holes) and bent both rims. I was able to get some rims off of E-bay and took bike to dealer in Upper Darby PA and have some concerns. They have a Yamaha PRO label on their website. But it got weird very quick, they were ok with me bringing bike in and my own parts to include tires. You have to have an appointment to drop off bike. That is not an appointment for service. My tires came late this afternoon and I called and asked if I could drop them off as their website says they are open til 6. But they do not follow their posted hours, so I say ok I will bring them by in the morning well they open later than listed. So get this the service department is open from 11-5. Sales opens at 10, I asked if I could leave my tires with them and they said no,sales operates separately than service. WTF have I gotten myself into.

I am taking my tires there tomorrow and asking for a time to get the bike back. I have read mixed reviews online some horrible and some average. I asked them to do some other service as I am doing a 50cc next month and will not be able to do my normal pre-ride maintenance as I am temporarily up here and my garage and tools are in Florida.

I need a backup plan because if they can't give me solid timeframe tomorrow I am taking my parts and bike and going elsewhere.

Recommendations for a dealer that will swap out my wheels, mount and balance tires. I was going to have them check the valves as I just rolled over 26k and throttle body sync, and change out coolant but right now will settle for swapping out wheels and getting tires mounted and balanced.

Two recommendations. 1) Joe's Cycle in Broomall PA (also on west chester pike, about 6 miles from those wackos in Upper Darby.

(I went to shop for my first bike at UD. Asked for something in a 750 cruiser type bike, they only wanted to sell me a 600cc honda shadow. I said, "isn't that a 4 speed, I want a 5 or 6", he said, "no, this is perfect for you". I'm 6' 240. a 600 shadow isn't cutting it for me).

Anyway, I brought my 05 into Joe for a valve check. I stripped the plastic so he'd have an easier time and would charge me less. He replaced shims on two valves and buttoned her up. $320 out the door. You have to make an appointment, but they're good guys who good reasonable work. And they won't rape you.

2) Montgomeryville Cycle Center in Hatfield PA. probably a little far but a big shop-well staffed.

3) Call me. My work schedule is a little nutz, but I have a tire changing machine in the garage and a balancing stand. You can particpate or just watch. I'm not fast, but the price is right (buy me lunch) and we'll get er done.

I'll send you a PM. Let me know where you are and we can coordinate.

Glad to see Montgomeryville is still in business. My brother bought an '80 XS650 as a leftover in '81 from them, and it eventually ended being mine in the mid 90s. Should have held onto that bike just for fun.