Bar End Weights--as Sliders?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
I'd never heard of these things referred to as "sliders" until someone recently used the term in that context--"bar end sliders." A google search showed a lot of references for that term, but as sliders, the emphasis was mostly on protecting the end of the grip, and possibly the levers.

What I wondered about is the possible benefit of having these in the case of a drop to protect that funky internal mirror-mounting bracket in a Gen 3 drop. Of course, I suppose you'd have to drop the bike "right," that is, right on the end of the handlebar. I don't want to go out and test it, but I wonder if this has been discussed. Input appreciated, now that I'm paranoid about breaking (ok, re-breaking) mine.

Every discussion I can find about this part on the forum focuses only on the vibration-reducing value of the bar end weights--not an issue for me. Thanks.

In just the right case....in a parking lot tip over....where your handlebar landed just right....and your mirror landed on a pillow....and you held onto the handlebars so the things on bar end stayed straight......it probably still wouldn't make much of a difference IMO. I think true sliders are going to be a bigger X in any equation than a small x of "bar-end sliders".

Not dropping the bike still seems the best option to me. And if you do drop it...expect to replace/repair things.

Last edited by a moderator:
In every test I've done :blushsmiley: , the bars always turned to maximise the load on the mirror. The "bar end sliders" would have needed to be about 6 inches long, which would make lane splitting somewhat problematic.

FJRay has just the thing you need to quit worrying about drops.Maybe it's time...

:)
That's a good idea. Mike, I'll take that unstable '14 off your hands. Of course, heavily discounted because it is so heavily damaged. I'm just a nice guy like that!

Ah come on Mike test it out. We are all dying know the results!
smile.png