parts mix with hyway pegs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kieefjr

Genlll SS
Reaction score
I mounted something but have not tested it.

I did a search and found a thread where this has been done but couldn't find out if it's too much of a risk to drag when cornering.

I couldn't lean the bike over in the garage without some help, which I did have and was wondering if anyone else has done this with success?

unnamed_18.jpg

unnamed_19.jpg

As you can see these are rear peg extenders which I have no use for.

I noticed that for some reason that these hyway pegs are not as far away as the ones I had on my o5. Maybe the Russell seat moved me back more, don't know but most likely.

So I removed these extenders and thought they may work as hyway peg extenders as you can see. They feel great but I'm a little unsure of it and maybe I'm asking for a high-side.

I did notice on a ride yesterday, (before I added these extenders) that on several roads that were very twisty that I never scraped the pegs but, this suspension feels much stiffer and was setup for a passenger. I'm working on softening it up some but haven't got it tune in exactly. I've also been very cautious, being new and all.

I had a thought that adding a temproary curb-feeler and that might give me a warning but also wanted to know if anyone else has done this??

Cheers.

From my past experience with those mounts, that looks like a crash waiting to happen. Be careful!
That's why I'm asking. Have you used this setup?

I think if I could get someone the hold the bike off the center stand I could put a sheet of plywood up against the tires and lean it up to at least get an idea.

From my past experience with those mounts, that looks like a crash waiting to happen. Be careful!

I think if I could get someone the hold the bike off the center stand I could put a sheet of plywood up against the tires and lean it up to at least get an idea.
That would work. Why tip the bike when you can tip the floor? You also don't have to have the extension parallel to the floor like you do. Angle it up to increase clearance.

That would work. Why tip the bike when you can tip the floor? You also don't have to have the extension parallel to the floor like you do. Angle it up to increase clearance.
Your post back in 2014 is the one I saw. I feel safer at the higher position but that is good to know.

I'm going to try to get my brother over here today and tip the floor.
uhoh.gif

Remember, using a piece of plywood, won't account for your compressed suspension. That will make the bike touch sooner.

Kieefjr, I did not have this setup. I had the highway pegs from Motorcycle Larry which had the folding pegs and a smaller profile. I took them off because I was dragging the bases. The small metal nub that holds the pegs was getting ground down; mostly on the right side, but some on the left.

It never really scared me. The first time it touched, I was surprised, but then it became a game. When I felt it, I would gas it and lean deeper. I never went too far, but honestly, I don't think that would be hard to do. Yours looks like it sticks way out, so I think you'd hit much sooner, which would be a problem if you're pushing it.

My disclaimer is that I was running OEM suspension at the time. I took the pegs off after returning home from SC and TN and finding a leak at my right side cover. When I removed the mounts, the bolts were bent. Maybe from rubbing, or from a good hit of a road gator. Either way it wasn't good for the bike, so I took them off. Also, I think I've been the only one with these issues so far, so YMMV. I never tried highway pegs after upgrading my suspension. Maybe that would make things different.

Last edited by a moderator:
However the suspension is set, or whether it's compressed or not, the plywood thing would show you the relative position of all the bits that could scrape to each other. So if the regular footpegs touched before the highway pegs, they will in every circumstance.

But I very seldom touch anything. Don't like to, try to avoid it. I do lean inside on my turns as much as I can to keep the bike more upright, though. I'm kind of like Rossi in that regard. ;)

The highway peg will fold back much like the main foot peg, yes? Seems like his main peg would be getting his attention well before the mounting bracket of his highway peg setup would. Maybe it's just the angle of the pic throwing me off, I'd be curious to see the results of the plywood test.

Here's something I just thought of from looking at the pic of your highway pegs, and I went outside and double checked the clearance on my identical mounting plate. There is room above the hole in the mounting brackets where the peg attaches for another hole to be drilled, and there's room on the inside of the bracket for the bolt that holds the peg on. So you could raise the peg pretty close to a whole inch to give you more ground clearance.

The biggest problem with that that I can see is you'd probably have to unscrew the left peg from the bracket (one bolt) and remove that peg to get the oil filter off, and that's not much of a problem at all.

Since I've always had highway pegs on my FJRs for pushing 200K miles and have never scraped a highway peg at all, I think the probability of a future disaster is lower than the estimate above.

Haven't tipped the floor yet but took this less blurry shot still on the center stand.

unnamed_21.jpg

The highway peg will fold back much like the main foot peg, yes? Seems like his main peg would be getting his attention well before the mounting bracket of his highway peg setup would. Maybe it's just the angle of the pic throwing me off, I'd be curious to see the results of the plywood test.
That depends on your idea of "well before." It's a very small space from when the foot pegs touch to when the bases of those mounts touch. I don't know about you, but I've pushed pretty far past when the pegs touch.

Yeah, but not everyone's a hooligan like you are :grin:

I can appreciate the concern. I'm guessing you get to see some untoward results on a regular basis out there on those roads.

It seems like maybe rotating that mcl bracket upward might narrow the field of interference a little bit.

I can appreciate the concern. I'm guessing you get to see some untoward results on a regular basis out there on those roads.
Funny thing is, in alost 20 years of this, I have not yet seen one crash where a guy levered himself into a crash. It's alway's something else. Maybe we just don't have enough twisty sections around here. Dammit...Thanks for making me realize that!!

I highsided once on a BMW R100s. Too hot in the corner and the foot peg raised the rear wheel up, everthing went wacky when it touched back down.

I got a chance to tip the floor.
uhoh.gif

They are going to touch before the stock pegs and that's with them folded up. There's no way I'll remember to fold the hyway pegs back before hot-shoeing so as mentioned above, it would not end well.
skull.gif

Super comfortable though and if I rode "mildly" I may get by with them but it's not worth the chance.
russian_roulette.gif

Idea scrapped.

Latest posts