Gen. 2 Aux. Tank Mount Build

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Well I finally made a procrastinated step toward moving on from the '05 to my '08. With a pretty demanding Cert. ride (50cc THW) approaching, I needed a fuel cell fitted

to my '08. I decided to use the same Aux. fuel cell that I had on my '05 and build a new set of mounting brackets for it. I contacted Iggy who had the same cell I did and made

his conversion from his '05 to his '14. So my build was based on his design. I really lacked tools and time and was not willing to shell out the $ for TIG welding. So the build

was done with a hack saw, hand file and a drill.

Chose some scrap aluminum:

P8210569_zps0nhugn6z.jpg

Built the rear support:

P8230570_zpsb0wn9ymz.jpg

Built the front support:

P8240572_zpssgxi78ap.jpg

Cut some support rails and found the build had an 1/8 tilt to the front of the tank. With the fill cap and vent hose to the rear of the tank, I wanted to tilt the tank the opposite direction (To the front)

So I added some spacers:

P8240576_zpsk3yzrso8.jpg

I used 8mm bolts throughout the build with the exception of the mounting rails where I used 6mm:

I used 8mm bolts throughout the build with the exception of the mounting rails on which I used 6mm:

To be continued :

Last edited by a moderator:
Attached the tank (With support rails) to the main supports:

Checked the Givi lid opening and the pitch:

Washed and placed back on my Linda T's Tank bag cover:

It was ready for Saturday's ride to Mims, FL where fljab and I would drill and plumb the '08.

Tony, I hope the '08 serves you as well as the '05 has. Best of luck!