Quick Turn Throttle - Anyone Make One?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad German

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a quick turn throttle for the FJR? I searched but couldn't find one. I saw the G2 throttle tube, but unless I'm wrong, it's not a quick turn throttle. It just smooths the throttle response.

I'm looking for a throttle to go from idle to WOT in one motion.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Does anyone know of a quick turn throttle for the FJR? I searched but couldn't find one. I saw the G2 throttle tube, but unless I'm wrong, it's not a quick turn throttle.
What specifically did you search on?

I did a Google with quick turn g2 throttle fjr1300 and quickly found one for the FJR by G2 for $79.95 that's....yes...a quick turn.

Last edited by a moderator:
Per info on the G2 throttle tube:

"The Throttle Tamer has a cam with a reduced radius initially, which requires a slightly farther rotation to achieve the same carburetor or throttle body opening position as a stock throttle."

I'm looking for a throttle to decrease the rotation needed to hit the same opening position as stock. I don't like having to re-grip the throttle to be able to wind it to the stop. I'd like to be able to go from idle to WOT in one smooth motion.

Upgrade to a GEN III and run in "sport" mode!
yes2.gif
smile.png

--G

...can't help with a quick turn throttle, best I could do!!

I think my bike is actually an FJR1! At least that's how I ride her, haha!

This one is quick turn:

https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/g2-ergonomics-yamaha-fjr1300-all-models-11-15-competition-quick-turn-throttle-tube/

This one is throttle tamer profile:

https://bikeeffects.com/proddetail.asp?prod=40-400

Both offered by G2 if you notice.

Quick turn is just a larger dia. (constant radius) for the cable to ride on, throttle tamer is an 'oblong like' cam profile for the purpose you mentioned above.

I made my DR650 throttle tube into a quick turn by increasing the rad. over 75% of the circumference by building it up with epoxy putty and shaping it by hand. Took about an hour and it works great! Snap throttle wheelies are too easy now!

I posted another thread here in the forum as when I "searched" for this one it wasn't showing, with the similar issue since there wasn't a post back on whether the upgrade to "quick turn" was done or not--looking for comment from someone who actually did the mod for their thoughts on how that went for both tight turn negotiation, as well as freeway speeds, etc. Mad German has now also been PM'd on the same question.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/169842-anyone-using-g2-competition-cam-throttle-tube-on-gen209/

Can anyone offer any comment on using the G2 competition (.050) cam as far as whether it is tractable enough to run through tight turns, and then jump on the freeway and be able to get into CA speed zone without re-gripping or riding along with the wrist bent way down?

I don't need to be the first guy away from the light or through the turn, I'm riding two-up much of the time, I need smooth acceleration w/o going to WFO such that the better half isn't dumped -- yet be up with the traffic.

I posted another thread here in the forum as when I "searched" for this one it wasn't showing, with the similar issue since there wasn't a post back on whether the upgrade to "quick turn" was done or not--looking for comment from someone who actually did the mod for their thoughts on how that went for both tight turn negotiation, as well as freeway speeds, etc. Mad German has now also been PM'd on the same question.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/169842-anyone-using-g2-competition-cam-throttle-tube-on-gen209/

Can anyone offer any comment on using the G2 competition (.050) cam as far as whether it is tractable enough to run through tight turns, and then jump on the freeway and be able to get into CA speed zone without re-gripping or riding along with the wrist bent way down?

I don't need to be the first guy away from the light or through the turn, I'm riding two-up much of the time, I need smooth acceleration w/o going to WFO such that the better half isn't dumped -- yet be up with the traffic.
It is not as dramatic as you think. It is noticeably quicker but not like you turn it 1/4 in. and you are wide open. My DR grip went from about 90 degree rotation to about 75 deg. rotation but the concept of a larger dia. for the cable to ride on is the same, its just geometry and would apply to the FJR equally. It is one of those mods that you just have to try and see if you like it. Not hard to go back to stock and you can sell the quick turn and get some $$ back.

@900gc:

Thanks for the post, the guy at G2 said it was "about 10 degree difference"--and that could be enough to do what I'm looking for w/o a whole lot of bucks and/or time/effort put into it. "Noticeably quicker" could be "just right" -- the only concern is will it turn the bike into "bull in a china shop" in the tight turns? I run a mix of conditions, but one of the missions is semi-LD and getting a little more zip with less effort is needed.

As you say, it's always a matter of taste, and not a whole lot of bucks to check it out--if I do it I'll post back about it.

@900gc:
Thanks for the post, the guy at G2 said it was "about 10 degree difference"--and that could be enough to do what I'm looking for w/o a whole lot of bucks and/or time/effort put into it. "Noticeably quicker" could be "just right" -- the only concern is will it turn the bike into "bull in a china shop" in the tight turns? I run a mix of conditions, but one of the missions is semi-LD and getting a little more zip with less effort is needed.

As you say, it's always a matter of taste, and not a whole lot of bucks to check it out--if I do it I'll post back about it.
" the only concern is will it turn the bike into "bull in a china shop" in the tight turns?" Unless you're running the Tail of the Dragon in first and second gear at 7-8000 rpm as your typical daily riding and have poor motor skills to modulate the throttle smoothly, I would not worry about it. I'm thinking you will like the result and keep the tube.
thumbsup.gif

@900gc:

Appreciate the reply and the graphic example. We have Angeles Crest out here, which some guys do ride like that, but, nope that is not my style--I've had enough expensive roadside chats with the nice officers back in the day.

Probably will give it a try in a month or so, other stuff to handle, but I'll post back on it.

Latest posts