New horn

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAFFJR

Reaction score
Today I installed the PIAA dual horn according to Bryan's instructional video. What a difference! It only took me a few hours with a ride to Radio Shack to make the splitters. Bryan's videos are terrific! He's gonna make a mechanic out of this dentist yet!

Add a relay and wire the horns direct to the battery...kicks them up a notch more.

Not worth the effort to add the relay and extra wire for a minuscule increase in sound..

AND regardless of what you've read here, you bike isn't going to burn down due to increased demand on the wiring.

I am a fan of setting up your bike with relays. I did it when I ran wiring for a trailer (in case my wife will ever go caming off a motorcycle again). It was easy and I can use the wiring for any farkles I put on the bike.

I went with the CycleTerminal dual horn harness. Painless install. Adds another farkle to my list. Over engineering is always the way to go...

I went with the CycleTerminal dual horn harness. Painless install. Adds another farkle to my list. Over engineering is always the way to go...
But the PIAA sport horns, are plug and play...with the exception of adding a jumper, from one side to the other. Why would you want more work, than what's needed?
weirdsmiley.gif

Electrical power (current) demand of the PIAA horns is about the same as the stock wimpy horns (in prior years when there were two) and it doesn't appear they downsized anything in the signal (horn) circuit when Yamaha decided to save 50% on horns.

I had no reservations about installing a pair of PIAA Sports Horns on my 2014 without relays. They are nice and loud.
thumbsup.gif
Yes, you could add a relay harness. And yes, the horns will likely be marginally louder if you do that due tio the heavier gauge wires and lower voltage drop on them. But, you will be adding an electro-mechanical device to your otherwise simple horn circuit (power to horn, horn switch grounds the other side of the circuit). That means that the day may come when you want the horns to work but they don't make a sound because of the added device.

YMMV

Last edited by a moderator:
But the PIAA sport horns, are plug and play...with the exception of adding a jumper, from one side to the other. Why would you want more work, than what's needed?
weirdsmiley.gif
When I was working I used to keep a bunch of these in stock. Need to stop by "work" and see if I can "borrow" a couple for my PIAA horns. Makes connections "boo coop" easier and neater. Lowes has similar but only in packs of 100.

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/molex-llc/0190130025/WM18739-ND/1869999

For those not wanting to follow the link, its a 0.250 quick disconnect with both male and female terminals.

Electrical power (current) demand of the PIAA horns is about the same as the stock wimpy horns (in prior years when there were two) and it doesn't appear they downsized anything in the signal (horn) circuit when Yamaha decided to save 50% on horns.
I had no reservations about installing a pair of PIAA Sports Horns on my 2014 without relays. They are nice and loud.
thumbsup.gif
Yes, you could add a relay harness. And yes, the horns will likely be marginally louder if you do that due tio the heavier gauge wires and lower voltage drop on them. But, you will be adding an electro-mechanical device to your otherwise simple horn circuit (power to horn, horn switch grounds the other side of the circuit). That means that the day may come when you want the horns to work but they don't make a sound because of the added device.

YMMV

Fred is correct...Adding unnecessary relays is increasing the risk of electrical problems. Over engineering is making an item more robust than needed not adding another device.

N4HHE, those connectors are just the item I have been looking for. I plan to add a set of Hella Supertones, same as the ones I have on my FJR, and those connectors will simplify the installation. I may still go with a single dual 87 terminal since I have a couple of those already but the terminals are a nice option.

N4HHE, those connectors are just the item I have been looking for. I plan to add a set of Hella Supertones, same as the ones I have on my FJR, and those connectors will simplify the installation. I may still go with a single dual 87 terminal since I have a couple of those already but the terminals are a nice option.
Once Upon A Time (no longer, I checked) one could count on Radio Shack to stock such things. Haven't found modest quantities in Lowes or Home Depot. I would think a good HVAC tech would carry them, or similar, because so many connections in heating and A/C equipment use those things. Perhaps my first sight was in a 1988 vintage Rheem heat pump. Came from the factory using those on certain circuits.