Trailer Build - hopefully in improvement to my current one

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auburn

Reaction score
For several months now I have been considering building my own trailer. I have a 1992 bushtec which is very good, but it has some short comings for how I use my trailer. I was inspired by some of the ideas that Northwoods Snowman used in this thread. Specifically, the trailing arm system and shock mounting. The current bushtec is 38' wide x 69" (front of cooler to back of trailer) and over all length of 84"

The bushtec places an ice chest on the tongue and with the wheels located 70% of the trailer length, it puts a lot of weight on the tongue that needs to be balanced somehow or you have a tremendous tongue weight on the bike. Also my trailer is shorter than newer models, which contributes to the stability of the trailer.

With that in mind here are the goals for the build:

better weight distribution

keep air shock system

improve suspension

enclose the ice chest inside the trailer over the axle area

carry a mounted spare trailer tire

carry spare FJR tires F&R (on longer trips to remote areas) inside the trailer

maintain similar size of trailer, lengthen tongue, and keep same width.

source parts that are off the shelf and common to get.

The new trailer has the following dimension:

overall length 100", with an enclosed are of 38" x 75" inches (tongue grew 10" and the body grew 6")

bottom of trailer is welded up using 1/2" x 1" .063 wall tubing for the perimeter and cross members except the one used to attach the trailing arms which is 1" square .063 tubing.

here is a mock up (the 1.5" rails are just supports to put up on the saw horses to make easier to work on) trailing arms set at about ride height w/ 4" of travel typical, could be more with more air in the shocks

7abbBC3.jpg

QjeKG18.jpg

Shocks attached to the trailing arms to check clearance to inside of trailer and wheel travel, alignment, etc... set at 4" of travel between top of trailing arm and bottom of frame. Bushings should be here later this week for the trailing arms. that will tighten up side to side travel

486ChqO.jpg

Axles in place, upper supports cross members in place, longitudinal supports mocked up and one wheel in place to check travel, alignment, clearances

cc7GuYr.jpg

More to come as I progress. Haven't decided on what the panel will be, probably diamond plate ALU, but might use sheet metal in the 22 gage range. The floor will be 1/2" marine grade plywood. A little bit of weld cleanup to do...

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward to watching and seeing the build in person on the 15th.

Keeping those tire's aligned is going to be paramount!

So many talented folks here. I love these kinds of threads. Is there a picture of the original trailer to compare the previous and the new trailer?

Following for fun,

Dave

So many talented folks here. I love these kinds of threads. Is there a picture of the original trailer to compare the previous and the new trailer?
Following for fun,

Dave
Following for fun,

Dave
Just another Bushtec, painted the same as the bike.

DSCN5596_zps6j4didle.jpg

I started following this thread a day or two ago and what immediately crossed my mind was the one wheel or two question. I've never towed with a motorcycle, but I think it's fairly obvious that a two wheel trailer should have a much higher load capacity, both in weight and volume. But let's say you don't need all that. I like to go m/c camping and all my camping "kit" fits into a 70 liter drybag that travels on the rear seat. Maybe I just want to go two-up m/c camping and need a place for the camp bag. Is there a handling advantage to a single wheeled trailer? I don't see a lot of singles in my travels, but there is one in the picture Panman just posted...

I started following this thread a day or two ago and what immediately crossed my mind was the one wheel or two question. I've never towed with a motorcycle, but I think it's fairly obvious that a two wheel trailer should have a much higher load capacity, both in weight and volume. But let's say you don't need all that. I like to go m/c camping and all my camping "kit" fits into a 70 liter drybag that travels on the rear seat. Maybe I just want to go two-up m/c camping and need a place for the camp bag. Is there a handling advantage to a single wheeled trailer? I don't see a lot of singles in my travels, but there is one in the picture Panman just posted...
that is Panman's one wheel trailer he can comment on the difference in trailers. He has since biought a bushtec trailer he tows for trips and camping.

Camping 2-up is the exact reason I purchased a trailer. I went with a 2-wheel version.

trailer.jpg

The little Monogo that you see behind my FJR pulled pretty well, I was told sometimes it looked like a happy ball in a follow along song but I never felt that. The one thing that I did notice with it when I got leaned over you could feel it hunting a bit in hard cornering. I countered that by dipping a shoulder into the corner. I sold it when I bought the Bushtec and wish I hadn't as I could pull it off the same pin.

The Bushtec lets me bring the cot and sleeping pad for the old bones, the ice chest for a cold one or ice for the night cap. Mine is an early Turbo that is a foot shorter than the Turbo II and I ride solo so I balance out well.

Camping 2-up is the exact reason I purchased a trailer. I went with a 2-wheel version.

trailer.jpg
That's a nice looking rig Bob :thumbsup:

trailer.jpg
What are the black sides made of? Aluminum, steel, or wood?

Got a little more done last night.

Here is the left side wheel mounted. Suspension is fully extended - have 11" from ground to bottom of frame. Ride height will be at about 6 inches. have about 3/4" between the tire and the frame to the back, and about 1/2" between the tire and the frame when fully compressed.

b7Qm30W.jpg

Top view. Note, still waiting for the poly urethane bushings to go in the two 1-1/8" DOM pipes you see sitting in the saw horse to carry the axle and tighten up the lateral travel in the axle mounts.

TlNfXLq.jpg

Front view. Note the 1.5" square tubing is just to support the frame of the trailer between the saw horses.

wurHJgu.jpg

Rear view. Even with only the center section supports welded in for the upper shock mounts, it is amazing how stiff the frame is already getting.

HtzRmpm.jpg

The one wheel and the shocks still weigh more than the metal I have used so far to build the frame as it sits. just using my uncalibrated arm to hold up each.

trailer.jpg
It is all aluminum construction except for the torsion axles.

trailer.jpg
It is all aluminum construction except for the torsion axles.
Cool. I am leaning toward aluminum that is powder coated or anodized black

Latest posts