Protecting the Mirrors

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
We had a thread going a while ago about Gen 3's and that infernal cast aluminum "brace" (Yamaha's designation) that supports the (Gen 3 only) mirrors. Probably does other things too, but I don't know what. What I DO know is when I dropped my '14 (and broke the damn brace), there were a lot of replies from others who'd done the same thing with the same result. A pretty crappy "upgrade" for Gen 3's IMO, and one that should probably be mentioned in those comparison tables that can be found somewhere on this forum for all the model years. Too easy to break, and damn hard and expensive to replace.

And then you're left with a big bill and a bike that will break this flimsy bracket pretty much every time you drop it again. Solution: don't drop it. I know.

But is there another solution? I don't think frame sliders will keep the mirror from hitting, and transferring all that force down to the internal brace. So what about Canyon Cages? I didn't want to do that, but it might be necessary if it would prevent future breaks from future drops. I wish I could stop, but it's kind of a habit now.

Feedback about Canyon Cages from Gen 3 guys? Is there any other solution available? I just mended mine with a home made bracket to join the broken pieces together, and it may last--I hope so--but definitely will not survive another fall.

Last edited by a moderator:
Auggggggg, FZ1 mirrors?

The superior Gen2's don't need them We have a weldment to hold our mirrors.

Reason #25 to stay with a Gen2 FJR

Happy Friday by the way,
winksmiley02.gif

Dave

I have Canyon Cages fitted with custom made sliders mounted to them. There was a rider on this forum a couple of years ago who was selling the sliders and hardware for $70. He has not posted in over a year. Others have fabricated their own sliders for the Canyon Cages using readily available sliders and hardened bolts.

I've dropped mine once. Zero MPH, but on a steep incline so the bike fell further and harder then it would have on level ground. Slight rash on the slider and rear Canyon Cage was the only damage. A friend dropped her unprotected FJR and it cost her $2500+.

I think that without adding the sliders, you'd still hit the mirrors in a drop, with the Canyon Cages on. That was another thing that I liked about the T-rex faring guards (first one being the lower price) was that they come with a slider attached.

The slider and rear luggage guard should help keep the bike from rolling all the way over to the mirrors, but I have not as yet destructively tested mine (knock on wood) .

The fellow who was selling the custom made sliders posted a thread that addressed the performance of Canyon Cages. He hade a new, at the time, 2014. He covered the fairing with painter's tape and laid the bike on its side with and without the Canyon Cages and with the sliders added. He appeared to have a scientific background (was a Marine stationed at Edwards AFB) and provided his analysis of each set-up. He concluded that Canyon Cages alone can in fact increase the chances of damage to the expensive bits of the bike in a simple parking lot tip over. In his opinion, the Canyon Cages can act as a fulcrum and if there is enough speed in the bike it will cause the bike to lever onto the mirror and upper part of the frame. He calculated the length required to significantly reduce the liklihood of the levering taking place and made the sliders. He seemed convincing to me.

The very first thing I did the my new Gen 3 when I got home that afternoon was to adjust he mirror fold up tension.

It was done up that TIGHT, it couldn't fold up.

That bolt under the mirror to allow it to fold on those conical washers, if you drop the bike.

Loosen it up enough so it doesn't vibrate, take the socket with you on a ride and adjust to suit, that fine line.

Neither Canyon Cages nor T-Rex will keep the bike from rolling over onto the mirrors.... tested it a couple of times unfortunately.... if you have Canyon Cages, definitely get the sliders...... the problem is the sliders are the fulcrum point in a tipover, and the bike is top heavy enough to keep rolling over without a lot of momentum. I think the Canyon Cage sliders stick out more, which is helpful. Definitely get the bag guards. The FZ1 mirrors will fold up against your windshield better than the OEM mirrors, but chances are you may still break the mirror stay. If you have a good-intentioned helper trying to save your bike by grabbing the opposite mirror, excellent chance the stay is broken on that side too. The only true cure is to never drop the bike......

I witnessed the breakage RaYzerman speaks of, and he didn't hang Clearwater Lights off his mirrors. I think if you're looking to defend that bracket, you may need to look at a different light mounting solution.

I have Canyon Cages fitted with custom made sliders mounted to them. There was a rider on this forum a couple of years ago who was selling the sliders and hardware for $70. He has not posted in over a year. Others have fabricated their own sliders for the Canyon Cages using readily available sliders and hardened bolts. I've dropped mine once. Zero MPH, but on a steep incline so the bike fell further and harder then it would have on level ground. Slight rash on the slider and rear Canyon Cage was the only damage. A friend dropped her unprotected FJR and it cost her $2500+.
Garauld sells his custom sliders, made for Canyon Cages here. Scroll down to the last entry on this posting:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/169653-garauld-accessory-catalog-showcase/?do=findComment&comment=1334782

I do not know if they work on Gen2 and Gen3, or what testing has been done on these sliders. No doubt, Garauld can help with good answers, there. I have one of his rear racks, and his work is excellent there. I plan to get a set of these sliders, next thing, for my Canyon Cages.

Cheers,

Infrared

I can personally attest to the inability of just the Canyon Cages and Bag Guards to prevent Mirror Stay damage during a parking lot tip over. IF one can catch the bike and sort of ease it down like I did twice, the Cages can prevent the mirror and stay damage. If it pivots on the cage fulcrum like mine did in front of too many witnesses at the Full Throttle Saloon, there is little hope.

ahem.

Uh, yeah.

T-Rex engine guards with sliders and FZ-1 mirrors... will not prevent the stay from breaking.

I've got a friend who knows a guy....

Dropped on the left side 100% factory... broke the stay.

Not quite a year later with guards/sliders/FZ-1 mirrors dropped on the right and broke the stay.

It seems to me that Yamaha should look at reducing the strength of the mirror. In the event of a tip over the mirror should be the sacrificial part to replace not the internal stay. This could easily be done by reducing the web thickness on the two arms going out to the mirror. Let them snap off prior to the stay. It would be much easier to replace and less costly. They would save some more weight also. It's a twofer and a win win. While they are at it, might as well add another inch in length so we don't have to look at elbows any more.

Just saying,

Dave

08FJR4ME posted: It seems to me that Yamaha should look at reducing the strength of the mirror. In the event of a tip over the mirror should be the sacrificial part to replace not the internal stay. This could easily be done by reducing the web thickness on the two arms going out to the mirror. Let them snap off prior to the stay. It would be much easier to replace and less costly. They would save some more weight also. It's a twofer and a win win. While they are at it, might as well add another inch in length so we don't have to look at elbows any more.
Just saying,

Dave
... or fabricate the mirror hinge to actually hinge in the correct direction when the bike tips over. NOTE: Not "if" the bike tips over ....

08FJR4ME posted: It seems to me that Yamaha should look at reducing the strength of the mirror. In the event of a tip over the mirror should be the sacrificial part to replace not the internal stay. This could easily be done by reducing the web thickness on the two arms going out to the mirror. Let them snap off prior to the stay. It would be much easier to replace and less costly. They would save some more weight also. It's a twofer and a win win. While they are at it, might as well add another inch in length so we don't have to look at elbows any more.
Just saying,

Dave
... or fabricate the mirror hinge to actually hinge in the correct direction when the bike tips over. NOTE: Not "if" the bike tips over ....
Well a scissors jack design might help also as you said. It would just fold in without any breakage of any parts. Weight a minute, how is the mother ship going to make money on that?

Dave

Mama Yamaha needs money from spare parts,so for that reason the design of the stay...
smile.png

Construction cunning...
winksmiley02.gif

If the studs in the mirrors were nylon or some material weaker than steel but still able to secure without vibration, I feel like that may be possible solution.

Those studs should break without cracking the frame, depending on the impact of course.

What say you?

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="kieefjr" data-cid="1336849" data-time="1473711484"><p>

If the studs in the mirrors were nylon or some material weaker than steel but still able to secure without vibration, I feel like that may be possible solution.<br />

Those studs should break without cracking the frame, depending on the impact of course.<br />

<br />

What say you?</p></blockquote>

Just like the windshield, I like it.