Cannonball Run 2016

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcusorelius

Reaction score
It was a fantastic beautiful day yesterday as we rode out to Hackberry to watch the cannonballers ride by then onto Kingman Mother road HD/Honda/Yamaha dealer who hosted a promoted lunch with a lot of us Kingmanites showing up. Kudos to Mother road as I have heard it was one of the best lunch's they had on there coast to coast trip. I have learned one of the bikes(at 3:19 in the vid) was hit by a car who failed to yield at an intersection near their final destination for the day Lake Havasu City. The good news the driver's OK! Not so much the beautiful bike, the pic I saw looks mostly like the front end damage.

And here' the Video, I gotta say it's my editing masterpiece!....

Too cool! Thanks for posting this up Marcus.

I have a hard time getting my head around what the original cannonballers were able to do back in the day with that iron and mostly non paved roads.

It seems that the first to do this coast to coast run was George Wyman in 1903 on a "California" motorized bicycle. 51 days, 3553 miles, and several repairs later, he made his San Francisco to Atlantic City run.

https://www.motorcyclecannonball.com/history/36-history-stories/51-history-of-motorcycle-cannonball

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_A._Wyman

https://wymanmemorialproject.blogspot.com/p/pooints-along-way.html

California Motorbike

california.jpg

George A Wyman

GAW%2Blogo.jpg

His route

GAW%2BRoute%2BGoogle%2BEarth.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
That was awesome. I'd love to see these bikes and watch people ride them.

Wheels through time was cool, but this is way better IMO. Motorcycles are made to be ridden.

That was awesome. I'd love to see these bikes and watch people ride them.
Wheels through time was cool, but this is way better IMO. Motorcycles are made to be ridden.
Dale likes to fire up and ride a lot of his collection. When we were in Maggie Valley for a Suzuki rally in 2011, he gave us a guided tour and afterwards gave any of our group that wanted a ride or two around the place on his old sidehack. IIRC, he had an entry in the Cannonball Run a few years back but I don't remember if he finished.

29841461411_86dcbc517a_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah - he fired up the Crocker when I went there and did a mini-burnout inside the building. Granted, that was cool. But the CBR is REAL riding - out in the elements, going the real distance. A big difference IMO.

Glad U guys enjoyed it!
bike.gif
This 8 minute vid took me 8 hours to produce. Usually my vids take 30 to 40 minutes per each minute of the vid to make, but I did some extra editing on this one.
buba.gif

Thanks, marcusorelius. Two observations:

1. I'll bet those spring-loaded bouncy seats were really comfortable, but they probably were disasters to help one control the bike.

2. Looks like lots of Cannonballers were using tablets and etc for navigation.

I was so suprized/shocked when the 1st bike came by at the speed it was going. I didn't turn in time to get the going away shot. U would have thought it was a modern M/c! He was way ahead of the others.

29774876452_346447e4cb_z.jpg

Can you imagine the euphoric feeling the first riders had when those (very) early bikes were originally built? Until then, they were held to much lower speeds on bicycles that they had to propel themselves. 30mph must have felt like 200!

BTW - I watched the series Harley and the Davidsons on the Discovery Channel recently. I thought it was very good.

I also won a prize in the mother road drawing! A free bike detail, gonna get my sportster look'n fresh as it's a way harder bike to clean then the FJR.

Schweet! -- even though the FJR is the star of the video and is getting stiffed.

Sad to hear the woman who rode across country in the wicker basket sidecar was killed in an auto accident a few nights ago. I had a brief conversation with her at the stop in Kingman. Dawn Hamilton was a Mother and the cannonball run community is in shock......

29888352635_16f670e22a_c.jpg

We were in Cortez, CO when they came thru this fall. A cool, wet and windy day and as they arrived in a gas station next to our campground, we welcomed and cheered them in. What a great experience, just seeing about 40 bikes arrive. I think there were 71 remaining of the 100 starters. I had several come up to me and the FJR and laughingly say how much they would love to trade for a couple of days. Mostly Harley's and Indians, most with upgraded brakes but not much else.