Spring Rates for Each Gen: What Are They?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad German

Reaction score
Hi fellas,

I'm trying to find the definitive answers to the questions of:

1. What are the spring rates for the OEM shocks for each Gen (non-ES models)?

2. How about the forks, what are the spring rates for the OEM forks for each Gen (non-ES models)?

I want to replace the shock on my 2008 with that of a Gen III, because I thought I've read it's a notable difference in stiffness, or spring rate. Does the 2016 use the same shock as the 2013-2015? They are different part numbers with different prices, that's why I ask. I know all Gen shocks will fit all Gens (at least non-ES models like I have), so I want to make sure I get the right shock.

Thanks to all who can provide the answers to the questions I'm looking for.

FSM for 2016 does not provide spring rates, thus don't know.......

GenIII A rear shock, 976 lbs.

GenI & II A rear shock 706 lbs. (ES 685 lbs).

GenIIIA fork springs are a progressive 0.85/1.0 combo, need to dial in the preload to reduce dive. GenI/II were 0.85 and considered weak.

ES are 1.0 straight rate but much shorter spring than A.

In all cases, I'd say fork spring upgrades should be done with aftermarket.

1. What are the spring rates for the OEM shocks for each Gen (non-ES models)?
2. How about the forks, what are the spring rates for the OEM forks for each Gen (non-ES models)?
Nobody knows this data...other than perhaps whether there was a "new spring rate" from one year to the next. When you test them, be sure to let us know. :)

Sorry for reviving an old thread, But I am wondering if there is more information on the 2016 rear shock spring rate. It is cheaper than the 2013 so if it has a similar spring rate I may get one for my 2006. Getting close to 100,000 kilometers and think a new shock and front springs might put some life back in the old girl!

Sorry for reviving an old thread, But I am wondering if there is more information on the 2016 rear shock spring rate. It is cheaper than the 2013 so if it has a similar spring rate I may get one for my 2006. Getting close to 100,000 kilometers and think a new shock and front springs might put some life back in the old girl!
I am in the same situation wanting to upgrade my 2006 rear shock. Replied to another thread here that the 2016 is KYB and not Yamaha based on an article I happened upon. Wonder is that continues through today on the non ES models?

I called several places and no one could tell me why there was a difference. I took the chance and ordered the more expensive 2016 based on an article stating it was a new KYB system. Roll the dice from there!