New to fjr, 16es, newbie questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joel S.

Reaction score
Hey guys, got me a new 16es today . Anyways the side cases had a few sticker looking things, one longer, and another in a small bag. Not sure what these are for?? My dealer seemed great, so I could take a picture and email it to them, if needed.

OK, next, need accessories leads, switched for my gps, I think the front side cubby outlet might be a decent tap point. Also, guessing the battery tender lead on the right side panel. Looking for heated gear coax to be on the left, kinda tucked away, so it doesn't dangle all the time out in the open.

Any first must do items on the bike??

Thanks so much

Joel

Talk to AdamK on the forum. Electronics guru. He can talk to people 2000 miles away while riding his bike plus he has the most bad ass Bluetooth fuse box that you have ever seen. I'm sure he will be glad to help you out.

The stickers are to be placed around the holes where your saddle bags attach to the bike. They guard against scratches on the bike.

ed

Good thoughts so far, and congrats on the new bike. What Zilla said, and don't be in a big hurry to add much of anything; you'll want to find out what you like and what you don't like as much, and that takes a few miles. I bet all of us here have bought any number of things--boots, gloves, helmets, all kinds of farkles, and kind of regretted it later, and ended up buying a replacement item after rushing the first purchase. I sure have.

...Anyways the side cases had a few sticker looking things, one longer, and another in a small bag. Not sure what these are for?? .....

Any first must do items on the bike??
As eddie says, stickers are to protect the paintwork as you put the bags on or take them off, a couple of pics:

(Click on image for larger view)

Two on top (overview and detail of the front one)

And you can see the top half of the one underneath

The screws HodRodZilla mentioned are these, note they need a security Torx screwdriver (many replace them with a conventional screw for convenience):

All of these items should have been done pre-delivery by your dealer, they are in the instruction booklet supplied with the bags. However, most dealers appear unwilling or unable to read.

These are pages from that booklet:

Enjoy your bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks Very much for the pictures, helps a ton.

i'll add the stickers, and check the screws today.

old c14, was close to stock with farkles, so will this one i suspect. gps wiring, heated gear, battery tender, . might do the motorcycle lary stem nut (loved the location on my c14) , ordered a big-foot this morning. ohh and a vizi-tec modulator, had it on both bikes, and need to add it to this one.

thanks guys, look forward to learning way too much about this bike and the fjr in general. lol

...ohh and a vizi-tec modulator, had it on both bikes, and need to add it to this one....
Be aware your '16 had LED lights, they may not take kindly to a modulator intended for incandescent lamps.

Joel, Welcome to the FJR world. I am in MN as well.

Check out the COG ride Oct 7-9 called Hunt for Red October.

We have LOTS of FJRs in COG.
punk.gif

Joel, Welcome to the FJR world. I am in MN as well.
Check out the COG ride Oct 7-9 called Hunt for Red October.

We have LOTS of FJRs in COG.
punk.gif
i know, i was your roommate in illinois going to the nationals a few years back, lol

yep, i'm here now !! lol

the red c14 Joel
smile.png

...ohh and a vizi-tec modulator, had it on both bikes, and need to add it to this one....
Be aware your '16 had LED lights, they may not take kindly to a modulator intended for incandescent lamps.
designed for led and , both my c14 and 650 are led.

they have an updated 5 wire one i guess for the 16

I find it pretty handy to tuck the heated gear plug on the LH side between the frame and tank surround. Mine is powered from dual powerlets installed by the seat release cylinder. Hidden other than when it's needed...which is often in the PNW!

Congrats on the new '16, awesome bike.

--G

I find it pretty handy to tuck the heated gear plug on the LH side between the frame and tank surround. Mine is powered from dual powerlets installed by the seat release cylinder. Hidden other than when it's needed...which is often in the PNW!

--G
that sounds like a good setup, any chance to share a picture or 2 ??

thanks!!

--G
that sounds like a good setup, any chance to share a picture or 2 ?? thanks!!
The dual Powerlet setup next to the seat release lock will not work on the ES model because of the additional suspension part there. This is noted on the Powerlet website.

I drilled the left side front black panel and installed the Gerbings controller knob and the Powerlet socket to plug my heated liner into. I'll post a picture when I get a chance.

I got the new factory rack and top case. Big improvement over the previous one.

Good luck and have fun.

OK, next, need accessories leads, switched for my gps, I think the front side cubby outlet might be a decent tap point. Also, guessing the battery tender lead on the right side panel. Looking for heated gear coax to be on the left, kinda tucked away, so it doesn't dangle all the time out in the open.
Congrats on the new bike!

I used an Arboreal Systems Neutrino Black Box-V2 to connect and control my accessories. Six software defined circuits which can be programmed and controlled via your phone. Each circuit can be programmed for amperage, whether you want it on or off at startup. You can also supply variable voltage to accessories like heated vests. The circuit can also be controlled by sunrise/sunset or by temperature. My heated vest circuit is programmed to turn on to 10% at 60F then an additional 10% for every 2F temperature drop. The fuse box has a temperature probe. It also has a direct connected 7th lead with can be use to connect your trickle charger.

You can read all about it here: https://koczarski.com/2016-yamaha-fjr1300es/arboreal-neutrino-distribution-module-v1

IMG_20160409_115950.jpg