Vibration above 80 mph / top case issue?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bajaleo

Reaction score
For the last two months or so, I’ve noticed a new vibration when travelling above 80 mph. I leave for work at 5:30 a.m., and usually ride five days a week, so I have a pretty good baseline for comparison.

I also had a new rattle that I found to be one side of the Admore lighting kit that the PO had added to this E52 case. It had come loose from the double back tape and was rattling around.

The repair to the case took me a few days, and when riding to work without the case mounted, the vibration was gone.

This morning riding with the case, the vibration was back. I rolled up to 80, reached back to grab the case (I know), and it was shaking quite a bit. More than I would like for sure.

The case is mounted on a Givi SR357 rack, and as far as I can tell, there is no way to “tighten” the connection. All the fasteners attaching the rack to the bike are tight, and the top case is normally empty. It has been on the bike for about five years.

Looking for suggestions/similar experiences/solutions.

Thanks, Leo

My V46 Givi case used to rattle quite badly on the SR357 rack. No place to tighten things up or make adjustments. For awhile, I used to put a piece of silicone rubber between the case and the rack (near the latch). This would work its way loose or fall off when I lifted the case off. I ended out putting a piece of rubber (maybe 1/8" or less thick) on top of each of the four supporting posts on the rack. These have a rubber bumper on them already but I found they aren't thick enough. This fix has been good for 100,000 miles (so far). No more rattle.

I have had a close look at others and most haven't had an issue. Mine is installed correctly - maybe an issue with the molding of the Givi case???

Last edited by a moderator:
My experience with the top case aerodynamics issue is that is causes more of a wander or erratic wobble at high speeds than any vibration per se.

Of course it could be that the case is loose in the mount and rattling around, as many of the Givi cases are loose there,

To test for that just snap it in place and the pull the case handle up and down a little. I put a couple of self adhesive foam rubber pads on the top of the mount, which compress slightly when you snap the case on, to eliminate any slop in the latch mechanism. Plus I only use my top box when SWMBO is along and she tends to lean back on the case somewhat, So, I suppose you could just rent a passenger to put back there all the time.
wink.png

I had this kind of vibration on my 2007. I solved it by changing part 21 and 12 on this plan

cowlin10.png

for me, topcase generat only sway (I m not sur of the translation!)

I only have experience with a Givi E55 and V46 tech. I get no vibration or handling issue at any speed. Never have. 2014A. Speaking of vibration, I just had throttle body assemblies replaced, and now the vibrations that other folks have described, that I've never found, have appeared. Nothing bad, but now my bars feel like those described by other riders. Before, I didn't really have buzz/vibe. Time to put the HVMP boat anchors back on.

I bought my Givi case and the 357 mount through the forum. The PO had drilled through the bottom of the case and the rack, then inserted a pin through both. Under the rack, the pin (with a drilled hole) was secured by a clip--this style.

m_SQNFEKgzm3YYF5F0H_6kg.jpg

He had a large washer under the head of the pin inside the box and under the Givi rack so it's pretty snug. More washers if needed, I suppose. (Props to Big Dog Raven, btw.) Mine doesn't vibrate, but I like the security of knowing it's locked down nice and tight, just in case.

Hey!! That was my mod design from way back when. Where are my royalties? :lol:

Yeah, I installed it (again) on my 2014 after I upgraded to the 3rd Generation sweetness.

Time for me to come clean here. I had a new front tire put on last week and the vibrations that I described above are gone.

Feel free to berate me, but the tire honestly did not look that bad. I had considered that the tire was the cause of my vibrations, but they were so severe I was sure it was something else entirely.

BIG lesson for me just how important a good front tire is to the performance of my FJR. I've experienced the bliss that goes along with a new front, but apparently I'm dim witted and need to be reminded of some things now and then.

Leo

Glad you got it sorted out. Tire must have been pretty bad! You are right about the need for good tires (especially front) on the FJR.

Try to wiggle the Givi case (with the bike stopped this time). If it moves much or rattles up and down a bit, it might be worth the "fix" I did (post #2). The box shouldn't move or rattle much at all.

I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. I pulled my front tire off and had the balance checked due to a 90+ MPH vibration. It balanced perfectly. This thread only now made me realize my box, which was installed about the same time period as the tire is probably the culprit. Top case in question is a V56.

Coondawg,

I can't speak to your exact situation, but consider that it may not be an issue of balance, but of wear to the front tire. Mine didn't "look" that bad, but it was clearly causing my vibration problem.

Mine was a new tire that I mounted myself on a no-mar and balanced myself. I assumed balance problem because it was my first tire balance. I've put about 1k miles on it as-is and this thread just led me to realize rhat I had installed the top case in the same week. I'll report back to this thread after I go for a ride without the top case.

YOU guys are all speeding. TOP cases are not designed to go above 80. Mine got punted by a deer, at least i didn't.
smile.png

Hepco-Becker . case. High speed wobble at times, depends on cross winds.

YOU guys are all speeding. TOP cases are not designed to go above 80. Mine got punted by a deer, at least i didn't.
smile.png
Hepco-Becker . case. High speed wobble at times, depends on cross winds.
I've got the Givi E55 that I use only when I'm traveling. But I've had it well into triple digits many times with no problems. I don't typically do that when touring, but sometimes -- you know ....... ;)

Why perpetuate this high-speed wobble?

My Pelican case topbox has ridden above 80 mph for many, many miles without issue. Its flat cover makes a nice high-top table when on the center stand, too.

I've found mine will pull to the left with the largest Givi box mounted and empty.

Remove the box and all is well.

I figure if you got a vib, wiggle or wander, remove all luggage and retest. Then look at the tires and other culprits.

Latest posts