5 Day Northern Washington + Deer Strike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blufjr

blufjr
Reaction score
Ride Report: Northern WA Dam Ride, Two Grand Tour Checkpoints and Deer Strike.

NO, this is not the same deer strike I had on my Rockies Ride in August.

Date: September, 26-30, 2016

By, Ken Hattan

Bike: 05 Yamaha FJR1300

Ride was to pickup 6 dams for the DamTour, 2 checkpoints for the Grand Tour, and to finish off a planned two week ride that was to go to EOM in VA that ended when I got sick on the second day two weeks ago. 2300 miles with a deer surprise bonus.

Day 1: This days ride was to Rockport, WA with one checkpoint, at Wynoochee Dam in the Southern Olympia National Park. Basic ride to get to the dam, up I-5 to US 12 west to Brady Rd. North to W. Boundary Rd. and then Cougar Smith Rd to Wynoochee Valley Rd. (which you can also catch off US12 just past Montesano). Wynoochee Road to the dam. This is a must do road for fun and pleasure to the dam, which is a good location to have a picnic. Lots of shade from the trees. I then returned down Wynoochee Rd to Cougar Smith Rd. which has 2.3 miles of good gravel plus some exceptional twisty stuff with excellent paving. Went on over to Shelton, WA. And had lunch at Jacks. US Hwy 101 to Olympia, then North on I-5 to WA530. 530 takes you to the Cascade foothills at about Rockport, WA. Very nice scenic ride through farm and forest lands. Stayed the night at the Totem Trail Motel just east of Rockport, and you will need to continue on to Marble Mount for either breakfast or dinner. 384 miles.

Day 2: The day with the most Dam checkpoints. First dam was Diablo, only 25 miles from the motel, is one of my favorite dams. The area is very beautiful and there is a heated toilet facility at the north end of the dam, which is not heavily used but well maintained. If you show up on the motorcycle on a cold day and need to warm the hands. This is the place. I can't say enough about WA20, North Cascade Highway, as it has scenic beauty, twisty road, lots to do if you want to, and if done early in the morning, like before 9, very little traffic. One of the must do highways in the U.S. Rode on through Winthrop and south on WA153 to US 97 to Lake Chelan to get the Chelan Dam. I crossed the Columbia River and immediately turned north on McNell Canyon Road, a steep climb out of the river gorge to the higher plateau. Excellent road for fun in the twisties. I made my way to Chief Joseph Dam on the Columbia at Bridgeport WA. Returning on WA17 and continuing on WA174 to Grand Coulee, (not on the dam list this year), a left on WA155, across Rufus Lake and north to Koontsville and a road noted to Keller, no big signs, just a small sign saying Keller. Don't miss this road, it is another fantastic twisty road. Left on WA21, to Bridgecreek Road to Inchelium, a small native Indian village. Although I have done some really nice roads today, this was my favorite with 30 miles of excellent pavement and great twisties that just go on and on, up and down. Great fun. I continued north on the west side of the Columbia to Kettle Falls getting back on WA20 to Colville and Tiger. North on WA31 to Metaline Falls and Boundary Dam. Another one of my favorite dams if you can get down below and marvel at the construction, with the generating plant carved into the mountain. Really cool. Dinner at the 5th Ave. Bar and Grill GT checkpoint. Stayed the night in Ione at the motel you have to ride a block or two to the Sinclair station to register, also a place to grab some food. Not bad. Great day of riding.++++423 miles.

Day 3: This was not Day 9, but it started like a day 9 (some will get this). 20 minutes out of Ione I was attacked by a lone Doe. She sprang out of the woods on a dead run, and immediately tried to stop from hitting me, but slide into me bumping the front plastic sections and then tearing off the saddlebag as I rode buy. It wasn't much of a strike but surely will be more than $3000 in damages. I make little of this event, but in real life it was “Ah FK another deer” as I could see it was going to hit me. Looking back in the rear-view mirror, I see my saddle and contents splaying and tumbling down the road. I made a U turn and went back to gather up the saddlebag and contents off the roadway. I expected to see her run off, but she was laying on the side of the road dead. She was a beauty and will provide someone with a good BBQ. After spending time at the scene figuring out how to attach a saddlebag without one of its mounting brackets and seeing to the broken case took some time. Using a small rope, I tied the bag on. The on to Newport to get some Gorilla tape to fix the aerodynamics and affix the fairing so it doesn't break more or fall off going down the road. From Newport I made my way to I-90 and on to Butte MT. The ride from Coeur d' Alene to French Town is very enjoyable through the mountains. At speed it is even more so. From Butte south to Idaho Falls on I-15 isn't as enjoyable. Need to be swift on this road to get it done. Stopped at Dillon for a Subway and gas then finished the day with 584 miles, arriving in Idaho Falls at 5:30 pm.

Day 4: First, I'm not leaving until the sun is up and with little rain that morning, I didn't leave the motel till 8:30 MT. I made my way to Palisades Dam slowly, making sure every bush and swale didn't have a deer ready to jump at me. Phew, this isn't fun. Well, I got the dam and that completed my 20 dams for this year. Last of the finishers, according to Steve, the Dam coordinator. On to Payette, ID. Basically I took US26 across Idaho and this is not a fun road, I was falling asleep and had to play games to wake up, so I changed course and headed for Stanley. It started to get fun after Sun Valley and the fall colors were great in the mountains. Stopped in Stanley to let my niece know I would be an hour late, and not to worry, then headed for some of the best roads in Idaho: ID21, 55 and Banks Lowman Hwy. Again, I was pretty much moving along at suggested speeds when I passed a Sheriff on the Banks Lowman Hwy and he followed me to the turn off for ID52 at Horseshoe Bend, I was laughing (LOL) cause I knew there wasn't a deer in Idaho that would jump out in front of me now. ID52 is a fun little road and is another relief from I-84 in the E-W direction. Made it to Payette at 6:30 and we went into Ontario for dinner at Fiesta Guadalajara, reasonable and great service. 487 miles.

Day 5: Heading home on one of my favorite roads, ID71 over to Oxbow, OR, although it fell under the spell, and I spent too much time looking for deer, so I spent more time taking pictures, which I kind of forgot about on most of the trip. Stopped at Annie's in Richland, a GT checkpoint, for breakfast and to just talk to some people at the restaurant. Continued on OR86, a fun road winding it's way along side the Powder River, to I-84. Stopped in Pendleton for gas and a bite, the battled the wind down the Gorge to Portland. This was by far the roughest ride, due to the wind, on the whole trip, generally a pleasant and beautiful ride turned into a battle with the wind, buffeting and just a tiring ride, and then the evening traffic of Portland, always a terrible finish to a wonderful 5 day ride. 468 miles

I posted this on Facebook the day of the deer strike:

Now that I have been hit three time in the last 4 years by deer. I must be an expert. (actually a magnet) I know how they think. You are not in control. Look all you want to avoid them and it won't help. They out flank you and at a speed you can't react to save your life. Conclusion: Just ride and be happy. Don't worry, as it will spoil the ride. It's all good.

Although I think this is good advise, it is so hard to follow after the third occurrence(s). I had no problem after the first, because I thought that would be the last. I hardly even rode between the second and third so didn't have much problem then either, but after this third one, I don't know.

Pics at: https://imgur.com/a/2ys6g

I really like those Dam pictures. I dislike the deer strike, but you "should" clear coat those scuffs that's a pretty awesome design!

Nice pics. Deer not think that is why they cannot be out thought. I f you worry about deer, other than driving alertly, your riding will be inhibited. Did mine in BC in 1992, 70+mph sweeper, split her from chest to crotch, leathers have scars. One concession to animal life (and getting older), I do not ride at night. Came Westbound on Wash.20 for about 30 miles from Tiger to Colville one dark fall nite, never saw so many eyes in the woods reflecting the headlights. Figger in the daylight we just do not see them. I got a motel and it has been that way ever since when traveling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice pics. Deer not think that is why they cannot be out thought. I f you worry about deer, other than driving alertly, your riding will be inhibited. Did mine in BC in 1992, 70+mph sweeper, split her from chest to crotch, leathers have scars. One concession to animal life (and getting older), I do not ride at night. Came Westbound on Wash.20 for about 30 miles from Tiger to Colville one dark fall nite, never saw so many eyes in the woods reflecting the headlights. Figger in the daylight we just do not see them. I got a motel and it has been that way ever since when traveling.
Indeed! That stretch of road is infested/overrun with em. Easily the worst in the state.

Nice dam report Ken...the deer strike not so much. Hope you're able to repair the FJR and it lives to ride again!

--G

Glad the deer strike didn't spoil the trip. At least there is one less rat to run out of the forest...

Last edited by a moderator:
Any deer strike you can ride away from is a win in my book. Glad you're not hurt.

Great photos, love these tours like this.

Latest posts