10/10ths #10 50ccTHW/Sunset to Sunrise/East Coast 2000

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I had planned my 10th 10/10ths for the late spring this year. It would have been #10 for my '05. This would have accomplished my goal of riding (10) 10/10ths for me as a rider and to do them all on the same motorcycle.

Also I had planned to ride the 50cc The Hard Way (NY to San Francisco) in September with an organized group ride and spend time in California with my 300k '05. Well things don't always go as we plan, and this was the case with me. In May I had a seal blow on the '05. It was the 2nd time for this seal. Although the parts for this repair are only $75 or so, the labor is huge. The decision was made to take my '08 off of "Garage Queen Status" and drill the tank and build a mounting platform for it, since the Gen. 1 and Gen. 2 are not compatible. I waited until the last minute, then delayed until the week before the 50cc THW the decision to add a fuel pump.

I expanded the 50cc THW ride by tacking on a return to the east coast via the "Sunset to Sunrise" ride. This would start in LaPush, WA and finish in Eastport, ME. I would then ride to Madawaska, ME and finish out the ride in Key West, FL. 3 pretty demanding rides back to back to back with transition rides and motels at the starts of each ride. This was one of the first rides that I have done that I actually felt I was prepared for. The major part of the packing was food supplies (Sunflower seeds, Welches Fruit snacks, cashews and Twizzlers bites) I made a decision to bring both the Klim Traverse and Badlands jackets. That decision turned out to be a major plus as the ride progressed.

Since the 3 rides were all in the context of a 10/10ths, departure time to the start of the 50cc THW ride was critical. The math was not workingg out for a 10/10ths finish in Key West within 10 days. I made the decision to start in West Palm Beach, FL, but not officially until I reached Mims, FL 160 miles north, where I would pick up a toll Pass and get witness signatures from a good friend and fellow LD rider Jim (fljab) and his wife. Jim was

the witness on my 100cc (My 2nd cert. ride) There was a scheduled rider's meeting at 4 pm that I would have to attend, so I departed West Palm Beach at 6 pm and departed Mims, FL just before 9 pm for the official start of my 10/10ths. The ride was uneventful to New York, and the motel stay gave me some rest before the start of the 50cc THW ride at 4 am the next morning.

The start of the ride the next morning had its drama, The pump did not give me a receipt and the store owners sought fit to lock the doors do to the large number of "Bikers" (Over 20 of us) that were at their station.

I finally got them to pass a receipt through the door cracked ever so slightly. The ride started off with me missing a traffic light and waiting at 4 in the morning for NO traffic to clear for the light to change. This would turn out to be the last time I would see 90% of the riders. On the ride venture across the country on I-80, I would learn a few things. I am indeed a slow rider and pace was going to be a key if I was going to pull off these rides. I really did not tire until I reached western Nebraska. I had packed a 6 pack of Mountain Dew in a cloth cooler to help me along on the ride. It was in western Nebraska when I discovered that the ice had melted a filled the bottom of my trunk with water. It should have been no problem as I had my previous log and witness forms in a zip lock bag… It was a problem. The forms were soaked and stuck together, the receipts were OK as I had put them inside another zip lock inside the zip lock bag. I spent western Nebraska through Wyoming stopping at rest stops with electric hand dryers trying to dry them and cleaning up the mess in my trunk (When I should have been resting) Besides the form issue, the 37 degree temperatures throughout the night made the riding difficult as I stayed with the Traverse jacket.

Salt Lake:

P9110609_zpstjpwfdqy.jpg

Soon daylight came and I made the decision to finish the ride out in San Francisco and take care of the stuck-together forms when I reached the motel in Forks, WA. So I continued drying the forms at every electric dryer enhanced rest stop along the way and not try to peel them apart until Forks. I fished the ride in San Francisco at the Golden Gate Bridge overlook after 44 hours. I think the majority of the riders were already there and I had 2 witnesses (Eric and Jerry) with familiar faces sign off on my end of ride forms. I did not stay there very long, leaving back east to I-5 and heading north. I picked up some fuel after about 2 hours of riding which gave me an unexpected BBG3000. Throughout the night I used a method that I have become accustomed to, where I ride/rest frequently until I feel rested enough to pound away the miles again. I chose to take a SW route to forks instead of an up and over route. This proved to be a good choice as rush hour traffic further north would have been a drag. The ride to Forks, WA was a pleasant surprise. I was on new to me roads that were not traffic congested. The roads were a welcome change over the interstate riding that I had been doing prior. The roads were sweeping through spruce forest that paralleled the Pacific ocean. A really nice ride!

Cold Finish:

P9110611_zpsftuuuwmy.jpg

I arrived in Forks and checked into my motel room, then ventured out to Subway for 2 footlongs subs and supplies. I had made sure I had low salt cashews before the ride, but the mistake was made on the sunflower seeds and I was paying the price with my lip splitting open and swelling badly. I peeled apart my forms and fully dried and repacked them.

P9120620_zpsjyoa6jsb.jpg

P9120621_zpstnyccbqf.jpg

After a shower and a good nights sleep, I was ready for the morning ride into LaPush, WA for my witness and starting receipts. I found my stay and departure to be very special, as I encountered some really nice folks along the way. I got supplies, mainly chap stick and Mountain Dews and NO salt sunflower seeds for the ride back east. I stopped to take some photos along the way to I-90. My GPS wanted me to take a northern route circling down to I-90, but I enjoyed the southern route the day before and had concerns about traffic. Washington state was new to me and I really enjoyed the ride and felt really good with the nights sleep. The ride along I-90 was pleasant and uneventful (Except the temperatures) until about 3:10 in the morning about 40 miles from my scheduled fuel stop in Hardin, MT. I was riding in the left lane towards the center with the Aux. lights showing the way, when I saw a animal (Which I initially thought was a deer) venture out from the ditch in the center of the interstate and "Drop down" My thoughts flashed that it was a deer that had been struck by westbound vehicle and had made it to the east bound side before it collapsed. As I got closer (With both brakes engaged) I saw that it was a Mountain Lion in a crouching position. Now I was slowing at a quick pace as I approached, the animal turned and started to run parallel to my cycle to my left-front. I kept braking, then with one sudden cut, the animal swept in front of the bike and bounded to the right side of the pavement and off the road. Now forget Mt. Dew, none would be needed until sunrise when my heartbeat finally returned to normal. (And notice I did not use the term "Cougar" throughout)

I rested west of my fuel stop in Box Elder, SD and continued riding east through LaCrosse, WI where I started thinking about Chicago. I felt my timing was good for a sweep through Chicago instead of my usual ride south through Rockford, IL down I-39 to I-80. BIG mistake ! Wow, I really disdain Chicago travel. Night time, day time, makes no difference - It sucks. Fatigue began to set in and I began to use my frequent rest method

throughout the eastern turnpike riding. I chose to stay on the southward bending I-90 until taking a left just prior to Boston, MA. I linked back to I-95N and entered Maine. Wow Maine at night, it seems every time I ride to or in Maine, It is night. I really felt great though and made good time traveling north (After the construction zones) The rest stops in Maine are a Iron Butt Moteler's Ramada Inn! Heated, seldom visited and perfect! I stopped just short of Bangor and tried to find a gas station opened (Using the internet) in Eastport. Unsuccessful, I slept all night at the rest stop and headed out early the next morning. Once again the temperatures dipped down into the high 30's, but the ride was accomplishing as I was successfully completing my "Sunset to Sunrise" cert. at sunrise. I got my receipt and witness forms completed and with a photo, I headed out of Eastport.

Riding north feeling fresh just following the GPS ahead of schedule, I got a little complacent. I was enjoying Maine in the daylight and I assumed that I was headed to US 1 and along the border to Madawaska, ME. Then I was slowed by stop and go traffic, what was this? As I rolled up to the border crossing booth, I began chuckling at my unawareness. The lady at the booth asked me what was so funny, I replied with my explanation and apologized for having to go into my trunk to procure my passport. By the end of the stop, we were both laughing and I crossed over in high spirits. As I rode through New Brunswick, my mind recalled another ride I had made in the same area which had me on highway 2 west to Halifax, Nova Scotia for the start of a cross-Canada ride where I met Scott (Canadian FJR) 4 CORNERS - 10/10THS RIDE - Long Distance Riding/Iron Butt - FJRForum

I made good time to the crossing back into Madawaska, ME through Edmunston and remembered sleeping at the post office there during my previous visit on a cold night. The border crossing was a little more challenging, as the guard was curious as to my quick arrival from my previous crossing.

P9160651_zps7pgsb8qu.jpg

P9160650_zpsd3bi8eey.jpg

Once in Madawaska , I stopped by the 4 corners park and Subway (For 2 Footlongs) and back to the motel for a huge rest. I had planned a departure on the East Coast 2000 for 1 or 2 pm. I ended up starting at 11:35

(A little early) Temperatures throughout the ride south remained between 70 and 80 degrees for an ideal ride until Georgia. I felt great the whole ride and had very few difficulties. Fog throughout North Carolina found me trusting my luck with visibility, but other than that … clear sailing. I met up with Jim at a scheduled fuel stop in Mims, FL. Down to Key West via I-95 was a pain through Miami. Normally I would shoot west on I-595 to the turnpike, but I wanted to stay within the spirit of the ride. The spirit of the ride kicked my butt , riding stop and go all the way down US 1 to the Keys. The ride to Key West was enhanced by a sunset at the 7 mile bridge and the time became a consideration, as I wanted to make Key West within the 10 day time frame. Arriving in Key West, the pumps at the station told me to see the cashier. There was a long line, so I left to another gas station where I got the final receipt (In time by only 20 minutes) I rode to the Fire station to get my witness forms completed. They were very nice there, offering me a place to rest (I passed) and a Tee shirt (I took). The ride home was sweet and I arrived home early in the morning and everything looked different from when I left. 33 hours for the East Coast 2000 ride set a new ride standard for a 36 hour East Coast 2000 Gold.

P9180654_zpsckpt7hx4.jpg

P9180659_zpsemtshiz6.jpg

P9180660_zps0tp7zwaf.jpg

P9180664_zpsyzvv7fdg.jpg

P9180666_zpssidyduo7.jpg

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=121ea57c8400eebf54

https://spotwalla.com/embed.php?id=121ea57c8400eebf54&scale=on&zoom=default&refresh=no

Wow… was this my last 10/10ths? Such a fun ride !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a Spotwalla problem but it appears to be fixed now.

Great trip. Unfortunately, not much chance to stop for a lot of photo ops when pounding back that many miles! A thousand miles in a day is pushing it for me but I am considered by most of the cruiser types around here to be borderline insane for doing even half that far in a day. My hat is off to anyone who can do this 10 days in a row and still talk about it being a fun ride. Congratulations!!

Tony, yer a frickin' machine! Congrats on the ride. Great report too! Nothing but flower sniffing from here on out? Mmmmm...I bet there's still a ride or two inside ya!

Tony, yer a frickin' machine! Congrats on the ride. Great report too! Nothing but flower sniffing from here on out? Mmmmm...I bet there's still a ride or two inside ya!
You know Craig, if you were to invite me on the ride we were talking about… I could probably spare 24 hours from my flower sniffing to LD ride With you.
winksmiley02.gif

Incredible.
I'm in north port Maine now. This is gorgeous country.

The leafs were just starting to turn on my ride, I'll bet they are beautiful now !

Enjoy !

Had a comment in response to hppants reply - decided to remove it to keep the thread on track.

Great photo of the finish at Eastport. Any more big trips this year?

As you know Tony, I did this long distance thing exactly once in my life. It will probably be the last time. I've wondered many times how you keep going. The thing that kept me going was the newness of it all, I'd never seen most of the places I travelled. But going across the country isn't new for you, nor are most of the roads you travel. For me, it was the challenge of being able to do something like this at least once in my life. Stamina was a huge issue: I was dangerously sleepy way too many times and had no time left to sleep. My but hurt so bad, I could not have made it much farther no matter how badly I wanted to accomplish my goal. I'd squirmed around to every position I could find on my seat: I'd run out of tricks. I indeed made it, but just barely.

You sir, must be made out of something special. I have no idea how in the world you do it. Especially 10 times. Thanks for taking the time to post up some piccies. So glad you made it home safe and sound.

Gary

darksider #44

As you know Tony, I did this long distance thing exactly once in my life. It will probably be the last time. I've wondered many times how you keep going. The thing that kept me going was the newness of it all, I'd never seen most of the places I travelled. It was the challenge of being able to do something like this at least once in my life. For me, stamina was a huge issue: I was dangerously sleepy way too many times and had no time left to sleep. My but hurt so bad, I could not have made it much farther no matter how badly I wanted to accomplish my goal. I indeed made it, but just barely.You sir, must be made out of something special. I have no idea how in the world you do it. Especially 10 times.

Gary

darksider #44
Gary,

When I did my 1st challenging ride (100ccc) I did it "To see if I could" I experienced sights that were incredible… the stars in the sky, city lights in the distance,

and so much more. I shrug at those who say "You don't see anything" On my first few rides I rode past the levels of safety. To push on! I was not very bright

when it came to logic. Over many rides and heeding much advice, I have learned how to ride much safer. My equipment is so much better now and it makes

up for the "Push on no matter what the risks" attitude that I used to have. Having fractured my spine twice, I have found that when I am fatigued the pain becomes

almost unbearable. The ride becomes a struggle and the pleasure fades. I become aware of the miles… That is when I nap - no matter the time or circumstances,

I will find a place to rest. After a rest my pain will lighten and I enjoy the ride again.

Also I ride specific rides that take me to different areas and hold different challenges. Those rides have sent me to places that I would have never had the imagination to go to… Angle Inlet, MN, Deadhorse, AK, LaPush, WA, Madawaska, ME, Kittery, ME, Venice, LA , Blaine, Wa , Hyder, AZ/AK, Whynot, NC , Why, AZ

I could go on for days, but then I return to my underachieving job in the post office and see the cities on mail packages and letters, it is worth it. I smile and know… I have been there!

I am not giving up riding- not a chance! I am just shifting gears… thats all. If I see a ride I would like to attempt, I will most likely put the fuel cell on and go.

I am still considering one ride that has me wondering "Can I do that?" I used the "Sunset to Sunrise" to scout it out. We shall see…

Any more big trips this year?
Does El Salvador qualify? That could get interesting…
weirdsmiley.gif
That sounds interesting. I assume (perhaps incorrectly) not a solo trip?

Re: Your maps of places visited - I can almost understand Northwest Territories and Nunavut but how have you managed to miss Newfoundland (and Labrador)? Not on the way to anywhere and not suitable as part of an especially long-distance excursion but a unique tourism experience.

Any more big trips this year?
Does El Salvador qualify? That could get interesting…
weirdsmiley.gif
That sounds interesting. I assume (perhaps incorrectly) not a solo trip?

Re: Your maps of places visited - I can almost understand Northwest Territories and Nunavut but how have you managed to miss Newfoundland (and Labrador)? Not on the way to anywhere and not suitable as part of an especially long-distance excursion but a unique tourism experience.
An eastern Canadian ride is in the planing, but no cert. rides will be involved.

I came so close to Northwest Territories and plan to hit there on my next Alaskan visit.

Damn, Tony! I get 700 miles, and I'm wanting off! I won't ever do any Iron Butt stuff, but...that doesn't stop me from admiring those that do. What you just did, is almost incomprehensible to someone like me, as I'm a lightweight.

Many people go through life, without living it. That cannot be said of you, my friend. Well done! :good:

Oh man, what a ride!

Tony, you continue to inspire with these rides, and serve to let the world know that it's still only far if you don't go.

Shane