Off road playing in the dirt...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richouse

Reaction score
I know several of you guys do some off road riding, so I am trying to tap some of your experience. I'm in the market for a dirt/off road bike. I don't want to go FULL motocross but I do want it to be capable and easy to handle off road. I mainly want to do trail, fire road and maybe some single track. Don't care to do big jumps big hill or mountain climbing. I do want it to be some what street legal meaning I want a head light and tail lights. I really don't have any off road experience so whatever I get I will be taking it easy at first. I don't want it to break the bank since it will be banging around in the woods and more than likely be dropped a few times. A buddy of mine has a VStrom 650 with 50/50 tires on it but I think I want to go a little more off road than that. I was thinking a KLR or even a Honda CFR450x. What do you guys think? I am leaning toward the CFR, there are a couple around me that seem to be a good price. This one is a 2006 and they are asking $3500...

CFR450X.jpg

The KLR is a pig and you will be sorely disappointed. If your focus is off-road, the CRF450 would be a better choice. Dropping a dirt bike on every ride is not uncommon. Depends on how you ride.

You do NOT want a motocross bike. They are geared short for MX and are a bitch to ride in the enduro environment. I have a KTM53O that came with lights, mirrors, signals, etc. The signals and mirrors are put away in a box, and the brake light is no longer functional. Make sure your suspension gets set up correctly, and make sure your powerband is where you want it. A hydraulic clutch is a blessing.

Look around, and decide if you want two stroke or 4, and what bike you like the most. Then, spend around $500 on boots, because your feet are vulnerable. I recommend Gaerne SG models. About the best you can buy. Formas are nice too, but fit thin. Buy a good chest protector and cheap jerseys, cuz they'll get torn. Find Klim or Fox pants on clearance and get them cheap. Don't cheap out on pants with Bilt or some shit. Jerseys....Bilt is the bomb!

What Zella sez. KLR is a pig. The CFR is good, but you really only need a 250 unless you are desert riding. Try to look for a newer model, perhaps fuel injected, instead of an older 450. Do what Zella sez for the gear, but you can get by with $200 sale boots.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of the guys at EOM were talking up the Yamaha WR250 dual sport. The CRF450X isn't a MX bike but it is still a beast. A friend of a friend bought a CRF250X as a beginner bike and found out that it was quite a handfull. Getting a tag on a CRFxX can be tricky in some states.

If you are going to go two fiddy get the WR. It will be the most woods worthy full dual sport you'll find without spending your orange money. The KTMs are better dirt bikes but require the maintenance of a tru race bike that they are under the license plate. The WR is much less labor intense.

All that said, I'm wanting a 400 class dual sport for myself as I'm a bit too porky for a two fiddy (had a WR previously), and need a little more displacement and low rpm torque to haul my big carcass around. A Suzuki DRZ may be in my future

I don't think the CFR450X is street legal, so depending on your state requirements, conversion could be a PITA

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a Yamaha WR250R. It freakin' rocks. I'm 180 lbs and she'll top out at around 80 mph on the freeway for me. Plenty of oomph around town and in the sand and trails. Also nice and light when you have to pick her up.

Thanks for the info! I am 195lbs and was thinking a 250cc might be a little small but I don't know for sure that's why I'm asking you guys. I know it would haul me around but when it came to some mud or hill climbs I thought it might be a little too much for it?

I have a 2016 Beta 430 RS which is fully street legal, DOT, EPA, everything. But it also has the full off-road engine and suspension. Really really nice but with Fox shock and other things its about $10k.

Haven't been riding "enduros" the past few years but if I had thought about it weeks ago I'd probably have been to the Tiger Creek Enduro this past weekend in Ovett, MS. That one has always been a fun ride.

Thanks for the info! I am 195lbs and was thinking a 250cc might be a little small but I don't know for sure that's why I'm asking you guys. I know it would haul me around but when it came to some mud or hill climbs I thought it might be a little too much for it?
In addition to my Beta I have a 2009 Husaberg FE450. Unlike anything available today. Has some unique quirks, but as a result used ones sell for less than they might. There was a fully street legal version in 2010 with same core as the off-road version. The engine and throttle response of this fuel injected bike is fantastic. Very easy to control.

The quirks are that the rear shock is surrounded by gas tank and exhaust pipe. It gets cooked. Exhaust runs a long distance near gas tank and will boil gas ridden hot and slow. The thing to do is get the exhaust ceramic coated. And maybe wrapped as well.

All the engine internal parts are KTM. Only the engine casing is different. Suspension is KTM/WP. Rear shock internals are same but eternally its rotated 90° so its not interchangeable with KTM shocks.

Be sure to check the seat base before buying. I have never broken one on any bike before, but have broken 3 on this bike.

I've been looking at Yamaha and Honda's websites. Looks like the only bike Yamaha offers that fits my needs is the WR bikes. They look good and I have no questions about those. However, Honda has a couple I'd be interested in too. What is the difference between the Honda XR650L and the CFR450X? I know the XR is a dual purpose and the CFR is a trail bike. I can't say I even know the difference between a dual sport and a trail bike (off road capabilities that is)?

I know the XR will be better on road.

I can read the differences of the two on the website but what is the true OFF road difference between these two?

Well, I have a Gen 1 KLR. While, it isn't the ideal offroad bike, it will do almost anything you like, with the exception of extremes. With a small investment in some upgraded suspension, you might be quite surprised what it can do.

Is 57 too old to start riding off road (ie learning how to fall down and shit)

Cuz people keep saying I need a DRZ 400...

My FJR doesn't seem to handle in the dirt too well.

Same question ... different dude.

I am 58, a (very ) little experience , and am kinda short (5'8") (in boots).

The DRZ400 and the WR250 seem sOOOOO tall, I'm leaning toward a CRF250l for easy reach and light weight (and FI) .

Dual Sport for shorties???? or get used to riding on only 1 cheek? Thanks (and sorry for the tangent).

I'm 49, somewhat inexperienced on dirt, and about 5'8" with a 32" inseam and the WR250R is fine. You aren't going to flat foot it that's for sure but you can adjust the sag and also add the lowering link. At lights I can either tiptoe it or just slip the butt off the side and one leg it. Getting on I usually use the kickstand and peg for convenience but I can get a leg over without using the stand and I'm not the most flexible dude around. I expect the DRZ400 would be a similar thing. The WR250R is injected, which I like a lot.

The suspension on the WR blows the CRF away but the DRZ suspension compares well to the WR from what I've been told... I'm sure there are more informed opinions than mine.

I just take it easy on the trails... I'm not out there to to catch huge air, climb trees, or scale 10 foot boulders. I'm not going to be doing 20 foot jumps either... Just out to see the sights and enjoy the trails.

I started riding in the dirt at 52 - too late to be really comfortable slingin it around like the guys who rode as pre-teens.

The DRZ is a very forgiving bike - the motor is very tractor-like, no wild power surges anywhere in the rev band, and tons of knowledge out there since they haven't changed it for something like 15 years. I sold it to get the KTM but not 100% sure it was the right decision. Both of them have the typical traits of a thumper - relatively light weight and obviously more capable and easier to ride off road (at least compared the bigger adventure bikes) which is especially important for less experienced riders, but neither of them is great on the highway. They peak out pretty early, and want to vibrate the crap out of you at normal freeway speeds.

You can look around and see great riders can really sling those 500 pound adventure bikes around, but like Zilla said previously, someone like me who's pretty new to all this would get burned out quick lifting that kind of monster off the ground. I've dumped the DRZ and the KTM several times and have been able to get it back on two wheels solo each time. And remember its not likely you'll be picking these things up from solid or level ground.

Summary - I don't think 50's are too late to start, but I think you want to keep it light weight, and the DRZ is a pretty good place to start....

I just got back from the Honda dealer and got to sit on the CFR450x and the XR650. The XR was REALLY tall. I could barely tip toe it. I wouldn't feel comfortable off road on it. The CFR did not sit as tall, I guess the sag was softer. They were also a Yamaha dealer but didn't have a WR on the floor to look at. I would really like to look at those as well.

You never need to flat foot a dual sport. You can only fall to one side at a time. Taller means more ground clearance and in the off road that is a big deal, and highly desirable. If you ever need to back the bike up, dismount and yank on the thing from the side