$11,000+ in damages?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, I would not have guessed that much. Seems like it doesn't take much to total one out though anymore. My brother totaled his out this time last year and we didn't think it was that bad either.

The little tabs that hold the front fender are bent on both sides. Look at the pic of the forks and you can see the two silver hex bolts holding the fender on... that's the tab that is bent forward on both sides. You can see the retainer just to the right and top of the fork tube broken and lifted forward from the bolt.

I suppose a hammer might straighten those tabs back into place. ;-)

I guess looks can be deceiving. I thought it looked scratched up, but other than that, it was ok. So Ken, will it be fixed or totaled?

Not too surprising that the estimate will include everything that had a scratch.... looks like they didn't include the mirror stay, which you had broken on both sides. What about your top box and Canyon Cages.... didn't see those on the list either. Nevertheless, it will all include bringing it back to OEM condition by parts replacement and not repairing scuffs and scratches..

Well, I think if it had been a simple road slide the cages would have done a great job in protecting the plastics. However, this is the result of sliding into a ditch after going wide left on a right hander. The bike immediately lost traction when I went onto the shoulder and slid out low side. Back wheel slid down into ditch and she skidded along the side of the ditch until hitting an obstruction (rock I think) that stood her up and bounced her off the left side. Top box and front took the brunt of that. Don't think any sliders would have helped with this situation.

On another note... I touched the right cage on 421 (snake) earlier in the day and later that played with my head in this curve when I touched my right peg. My fault still as I had my suspension set up wrong.

I guess looks can be deceiving. I thought it looked scratched up, but other than that, it was ok. So Ken, will it be fixed or totaled?

Still trying to figure that out myself. Insurance guy is back at the shop on Thursday to review. Unless the hurricane further delays things...

Not too surprising that the estimate will include everything that had a scratch.... looks like they didn't include the mirror stay, which you had broken on both sides. What about your top box and Canyon Cages.... didn't see those on the list either. Nevertheless, it will all include bringing it back to OEM condition by parts replacement and not repairing scuffs and scratches..
Is the mirror stay included in the headlight assembly? Dunno. Right, the top box, cages, and shield aren't accounted for yet.

The parts pricing is OEM or dealership pricing. Take that same list and price it out on partshark.com or similar site and the cost would be less. For my parts list, the insurance has it at $4900, but my price list is sitting at about $2100 for the same items (via partshark.com).

For the off I had in 2012, the repair estimate from the dealership was almost $15,000...

Wayne

This is why it's cheaper for them to total the bike then repair it. Most insurance companies I've dealt with will just total it, cut you a check, wholesale the bike out, and call it a day.

Cars don't get totaled as often because they're cheaper to repair based on the percentage of total value.

From the time I spent working for a dealership I saw that sort of thing quite often. Insurance companies don't care that we can purchase the parts cheaper online. They want OEM parts installed by "factory trained" mechanics because of the liability. The techs at the shop are told to note everything, every scratch, every dent, every flaw that wasn't there when it was delivered new to the original owner. With the litigious society we live in today fear of lawsuits is the driving factor in insurance settlements.

Glad that you're okay. That's the main thing. Get a new one and start over. You might want to see what you can buy the wreck back for though. That;s an awful lot of like new usable parts there and you could have some great spares or make some cash parting it out yourself.

The parts pricing is OEM or dealership pricing. Take that same list and price it out on partshark.com or similar site and the cost would be less. For my parts list, the insurance has it at $4900, but my price list is sitting at about $2100 for the same items (via partshark.com).
For the off I had in 2012, the repair estimate from the dealership was almost $15,000...

Wayne
I figured there was some voodoo going on here. The prices they show are nucking futs... If I had the time, tools, and knowledge fixing it myself might be a lot of fun. Of those three the first is the most scarce at this point though the last is pretty lacking as well. LOL

The bike was in perfect condition, to restore it back to that condition, they need to replace every piece with even the smallest scratch, with factory parts from Yamaha. That adds up quick. How would you feel if they fixed it for less money, but your bike still had scuffs and dings on it? I wouldn't be happy. Sorry you have to deal with all this, let them write it off and get another.

The little tabs that hold the front fender are bent on both sides. Look at the pic of the forks and you can see the two silver hex bolts holding the fender on... that's the tab that is bent forward on both sides. You can see the retainer just to the right and top of the fork tube broken and lifted forward from the bolt.
I suppose a hammer might straighten those tabs back into place. ;-)
Yep, remember we were looking at those right afterwards. Weird how they both bent so evenly.

Of course, if you are like me, I would fix it myself. Take the $11K, ask for accessory coverage, mine was $1000 at Allstate which would cover the cages and top box + or -. Also, don't forget gear, pants, jacket, helmet, boots. My FJ09 deer strike got me a new helmet and boots too. My current deer strike on the FJR is estimated at $3400. Since I still have a parts bike with some of these parts, that I will use, I will only need to pick up the front upper and lower fairing, and inner panel, saddlebag and that is it. Cost will run $1250. $250 deductible, leaving me around $1900. You can get 30% off Yamaha pricing at Yamaha Sports Plaza in Gresham OR.

Accidents happen, sometimes your own fault and other time the deers fault or someone else. If the damage isn't bad enough to effect the bikes handling, or operation, as in no frame damage, and is just plastic parts or minor bending back into place, then I would fix it. I have done this three times on the FJRs and it also give you experience in stripping the bike down and putting it back together. Always replace sub frames or stays as it makes putting it back together easier and you get a new look with tight fitting joints. You also look at some of the marks and scratches as battle wounds and easy to buff out and make livable. Most other people never notice them, if you keep the bike clean and shinny, you will even forget and not notice either. You should end up with an extra $3-4,000 to improve suspension, gear, etc. Ride the bike for 100K and you will not notice any of that which happened and be better off for doing the rebuild yourself. Lots of money to buy tools with. JMT.