GOTC 2016 or Snowmen and Peacocks - A Ride Report

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fontanaman

Robin Trower
Reaction score
The man known as --G and I decide to ride to Gathering of the Clan 2016 and this is our ride report.

We left on Saturday Roctober 1st. The significant other's stayed at home on this one while we went out to play. The ride plan was simple. Get to California on day one and whip out a the map of Destination Highways Northern California to go ride the good roads. Man I love simplicity. I strongly recommend Destination Hwy's for you can ride like a local not a tourist and ride on the best motorcycle roads in California without wasting precious vacation time.

Day One

Here is our route. Acrossed I-90, down Hwy 821 to Hwy 97, get off Hwy 97 to Antelope Oregon to enjoy twisties, back to Hwy 97 to the Crooked River road, back to Hwy 97 just south of Bend Oregon to Klamath Falls. Just over 500 miles for the day.

Day01_zps1jepttsn.jpg

A photo along Crooked River.

IMG_3794%20800x599_zpsypforjlt.jpg

I liked the clouds in this photo. Shooting into the sun is a challenge.

IMG_3793%20800x541_zpsb5xyoblo.jpg

The Crooked River road is a very nice diversion from Hwy 97.

IMG_3795%20800x484_zpssmefiwkw.jpg

Along Upper Klamath Lake.

IMG_3796%20800x484_zps1043dukw.jpg

A nice way to end the day.

IMG_3798%20800x567_zpsly4grziq.jpg

Day Two

The drive down to Klamath Falls was dry. On Sunday morning a cold front had moved in dumping a few inches of snow in the mountains outside of Klamath Falls. There was a winter storm warning advisory for Mt. Lassen and the surrounding area. We planned on a delayed departure avoid a frosty fate, let a weather band pass, and set out about 10:00am, south on Hwy 97. Just was we were leaving the hotel lobby the receptionist shared a CalTrans web cam image showing snow on Hwy 97 in our direction. We proceeded with caution.

Here is our route for the day. The route is Hwy 97, avoiding Weed on the way to Hwy 3, to Hwy 299 and spend the night in Fortuna California.

Day02_zpsjjpojm1b.jpg

Departing at 10:00am turned out to be a bonus as the snow had melted and the rain had pasts leaving the roads wet in the passes along Hwy 97.

We met these fellows at a rest area in California. They were heading north and report no snow on the roads. The were a fun bunch to talk with. The cold weather caught them a bit ill prepared. Fortunately we had head jackets and suitable gear.

IMG_3801%20800x600_zpsktkbseer.jpg

Snowmen!

IMG_3806%20800x571_zpsgrv4tv3f.jpg

Our view of Mt. Shasta outside of Weed.

IMG_3807%20800x263_zpswswafo9t.jpg

Rather than going into Weed we take the Hoy Road, Jackson Ranch Road and Old Hwy 99 to the Gazelle Callahan Road leading us to Hwy 3. Along the Hoy Road about 30 minutes after the snowman photo we see a few Peacocks, the bright blue feather in stark contrast to the grey morning. I don't every recall seeing snowmen and Peacocks while riding.

It rained on pretty good on Hwy 3 near Scott Mountain Pass and avoided a downpour in Weaverville by having lunch at Subway. We got even luckier having undercover parking at the Subway, letting the storm pass and heading to Fortuna. All in all a very interesting and nice day. We also found construction along Hwy 299 was a good thing. We moved to the front of the line on the one way stop light constructions zones - that was very nice as the road had dried so we got to enjoy some twisty bits along Hwy 299 on a Sunday afternoon unobstructed.

To be continued.

Last edited by a moderator:
Day Three

Our route.

Day03_zpsltbjxk2r.jpg

We stop for breakfast at Fernbridge Market: Ridgetop Cafe & Coffee Barn where I enjoy this.

IMG_3817%20800x600_zpssxzqjrby.jpg

We decide to ride the Lost Coast a goat trail of the first order because --G has not been there before. I have been there three times now and don't plan on returning soon. And who's says I am inflexible and hard to get on with?

The bonus of the Lost Coast is, get ready here it comes, the coast and the descent to the coast.

Bumpy pavement a grey skies ruled the day.

IMG_3819%20800x600_zps3wufzbzc.jpg

IMG_3821%20800x600_zpsxblem4lh.jpg

The view improved and we can see the rancher's home near the ocean.

IMG_3822%20800x394_zpsyciawe7n.jpg

The descent and anticipation of seeing the ocean is enjoyable.

IMG_3824%20800x383_zpsniqtqt7u.jpg

The reason we are here!

IMG_3829%20800x469_zpsniwtgzpj.jpg

IMG_3831%20800x444_zpsfwpbqbrz.jpg

Is this cool or what. Imaging what it looks like on a blue sky day.

IMG_3832%20800x599_zpsh0ochuhc.jpg

A bridge.

IMG_3841%20800x433_zpslglmdv1z.jpg

My favorite part of the Lost Coast is cows surfing on the beach. It is just bizarre.

IMG_3856%20800x600_zps57hu0mbq.jpg

My least favorite part of the Lost Coast is riding from the coast to Petrolia and to Hwy 101. On this day we hit gravel sections, extremely rough pavement for about 30 miles. Uuuuck!

We arrive at the Humboldt State Forest were the pavement improved a bit as did the scenery.

IMG_3858%20800x600_zpsbgkti8fo.jpg

IMG_3862%20800x600_zpsa5v5oxrs.jpg

We run down the Avenue of the Giants Hwy 254 to see the large Redwood trees and relax while riding on smooth blacktop.

IMG_3869%20800x600_zpsmavzbfgr.jpg

From here we ride to Leggit to find Hwy 1 enjoying some fine twisty pavement out to coast. The coast ride is short lived as we return inland on the Branscomb Road a twisty bit leading us back to Hwy 101 to Hwy 20 to find some very fine and nearly dry pavement on Hwy 20 back to the coast where we spend the night in Fort Bragg.

to be continued.

I'll be adding some snaps once I get photobucket to cooperate.
bike.gif

Damn fine trip so far...odo will show 2000 miles today with prolly another 1000 before we get home Monday. Not bad for an event that's only ~1400 round-trip miles away!

--G

Yah, the road from Petrolia to 101 is interesting to say the least. But, one must do what one must in the pursuit of steelhead....

Sorry about the delay. I got a stomach flu on Saturday night in Redding, CA. I didn't sleep on Saturday night and at 4:00am on Sunday was still miserable. Took a slight turn for the better and hit the road 8:30 on Sunday morning. Today is Tuesday and I am still recovering. More to come shortly.

Day 4.

The reason for the ride from east to west was to get west of the mountains where it was wet and today are heading south the the wine country were the forecast was for blue skies.

Our route today is on Google Maps so you can zoom in if you like to see the road numbers and names.

Starting in Fort Bragg we quickly detour to tour the homes near Pt. Cabrillo thinking it might be cool to see the Light House. The home were very nice while the Light Station was a 1/2 mile walk, each way. We opted out of that.

Point Cabrillo Drive. Nice!

IMG_3879%20800x325_zpstmaydavi.jpg

Now most folks would just run down Hwy 1 to enjoy the views along the ocean, but my wife was not with me and we are not most folks, so we head inland on the Comptche Ukiah road to Hwy 128. It must have been nice cause I don't have any photos of either of these roads!

Hwy 128 leads us into some very nice twisties and and into wine country. It is beautiful even when the road is straight. With some time to spar we decide to ride down and back the Skaggs Springs road where reportedly the speed limit is low due to speeding, who us? The reports of the low speed limit were true and we made the best the situation.

Skaggs Spring road.

IMG_3889%20800x549_zpsnu8cuusq.jpg

Lake Sonoma

IMG_3899%20800x600_zpsd61hiqdy.jpg

We stopped at Ferrari-Carano Vineyards and Winery to get some wine for Doug and Gayle, our hosts for the next two nights.

Photos of the winery. They actually welcomed us in! With my old and dirty Rev-It jacket one is not likely to make a good first impression.

IMG_3900%20800x600_zpsvmnsq8oj.jpg

IMG_3903%20800x600_zpsndc5laqh.jpg

IMG_3908%20800x600_zpsqdgbcraj.jpg

The wine is even better than the gardens. Yummie! Note to self, bring wifey here someday!

We continue on Hwy 128 to Calistoga and pickup Hwy 29. This was going to be one of the riding highlights of the day but we encountered a lot of traffic. Another note to self that I am sure to forget - do this road early in the day and do it from south to north as we did - it run uphill this way.

After that it was onto Grass Valley to meet Doug and his lovely wife Gayle where we enjoyed a great home cooked meal.

to be continued.