Romp through the Smoky's Ride Report

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richouse

Reaction score
Report starts at post #6

A buddy (new to the FJR) and I are spending the next several days (Thursday 13th-Monday 17th) on our fall trip to the Smoky Mountains. We will be starting in north Atlanta on Thursday and heading north. Some of the plans are but not limited to: Devils Triange, Cherohala Skyway, The Tail, and many other great roads. Just wondering if anyone else will be up that way during this time? If so you are welcome to ride...

Last edited by a moderator:
Rich - you are probably already gone (I would be), but if not, have a great ride.

Do NOT discount north Georgia. The roads in the northwestern corner of GA are as good as it gets, and far less crowded. Hang out in that area for a while going and/or coming.

Looking forward to the report. Ride on!!!

Rich - you are probably already gone (I would be), but if not, have a great ride.
Do NOT discount north Georgia. The roads in the northwestern corner of GA are as good as it gets, and far less crowded. Hang out in that area for a while going and/or coming.

Looking forward to the report. Ride on!!!
I just got home yesterday. Sorry I missed you. I checked this thread the next day and no one had mentioned anything so I didn't check it again. I wish I had. We had a great ride! We rode well over 1000 miles in the mountains alone. The weather was perfect. Only downside was everyone else thought it was a great time to be in the mountains too.

I'm glad you had a good time. Please post a ride report.
He just did, pants.
biggrin.png

Ok, here is what we did...

Track.jpg

Day 1. We left Atlanta and entered the picture at the bottom left on the pink line. We hung a right at Ocoee and went to Telco Plains. Hung another right and rode the Cherohala Sky to Robbinsville. Turned left on 129 and rode the Dragon's Tail to Maryville and called it a day. (us on the Tail)

1336017.jpg

Day 2. Went Northwest to Oliver Springs and rode the Devil's Triangle. After getting back to Oliver Springs we rode NE on Hwy 25 over to Hot Springs and stayed there for the night.

Day 3. Went South out of Hot Springs on hwy 209 to Luck. (This is a GREAT road but you REALLY have to watch out for gravel in the corners!!!) Stopped at this little store in Luck for Non Ethanol gas.

20161015_144048704_iOS.jpg

Left There on hwy. 63 to the Blue Ridge Pky. rode that to Cherokee then Hwy 19 over to Murphy for the night.

Day 4. Left Murphy East on Hwy 64 Through Highlands and stopped and checked out the water fall.

20161016_152050462_iOS.jpg

If you have never seen this its worth checking out. It's the biggest falls in the Smoky's. (look hard and you can see the walkway that goes behind them.) Continued on to Brevard and hung a left to Waynesville and got a cabin in Candler between Waynesville and Asheville.

Day 5. Headed West through Maggie Valley, Cherokee and 441 to Gatlinburg (took the bypass actually)

20161017_170300210_iOS.jpg

Through Pigeon Forge, Maryville 411 to Vorone Then Telco Plains and the Cherohala again to Robbinsville for the night.

20161017_181139.jpg

Day 6. This was the last day. Left Robbinsville south on 129 through Murphy, Hwy 64 to Ducktown. This is where Curt turned south to Atlanta and I continued on to Memphis.

Overall, We couldn't have asked for a better trip. Weather was perfect, no rain, and never got too hot. Traffic on the Blue Ridge was awful and a little congested on the Skyway the 1st time over, the 2nd time over the Skyway was late in the after noon and hardly anyone was on it. I rode a total of 1820 miles and rode more than 1000 of those in the mountains.

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
From your map route provided, before I even looked at the rest of the pictures, I thought:

"Well, he hit the right roads. If he didn't fall, no matter what else happened, he had a great trip."

Did you camp in Hot Springs? That private campground on the French Broad River is nice. The cabins there are nice too.