Problem with Garmin Zumo 550 charging

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

griff

Reaction score
So I'm on a trip last week and have two 550s with me and both of them go dead - low battery. I checked the voltage to charging cradle at the motel one night and it was getting 12 volts, so I figured that the charging cradle was bad. Both GPSs did charge when hooked to a USB cord to the computer or a wall outlet. I got home (using turn by turn written directions to get my last few TOH sites) and replaced the cradle with a new one. So now one GPS does charge the battery in the cradle, but one does not. hmmmm Fred W told me of a diagnostic I can use to look at GPS parameters and it does show the battery charging, but another diagnostic says battery "suspended"?? Don't know what that is. I have three batteries which all seem to charge ok in both GPSs when hooked to the USB cable but only one GPS charges the batteries in the cradle. I haven't had any luck posting in the Zumo forum, but will call Garmin and talk to them. Anyone every experienced their Zumo not charging in a supposedly good cradle, but with a USB cable?

Have you removed the battery from each Zumo and cleaned the internal contacts? Perhaps that is not involved, but I'd recommend doing it anyway. That cleared some odd stuff my 550 was doing.

Well I have an old 550 I am not using, cradle for a motorcycle and a car. I'd be willing to part with it for the fair price- includes a auto and cycle cradle and life time maps (if Garmin allows transfers). The GPS needs a new screen and the buttons are cracked and need replacing. The cost to fix it is about $100.

I hope this isn't seen as thread jacking. That is not my intention. Merely offering you a deal on a GPS in the event yours is toast.

I've revived a couple of cradles with contact cleaner and working the pins up and down (power off or with a non-conductive stick). Clean the bottom contacts of the GPS with a pencil eraser. Remove battery and clean the contact pins and battery with an eraser. Give it a go after that, it has worked for me in the past. Recommend this as preventative maintenance a couple of times a year.

Thanks for suggestions guys. I have cleaned the contacts, but I will clean them again. I'm still wondering what that "suspend" means on the diagnostic screen for battery condition.

So I'm on a trip last week and have two 550s with me and both of them go dead - low battery. I checked the voltage to charging cradle at the motel one night and it was getting 12 volts, so I figured that the charging cradle was bad. Both GPSs did charge when hooked to a USB cord to the computer or a wall outlet. I got home (using turn by turn written directions to get my last few TOH sites) and replaced the cradle with a new one. So now one GPS does charge the battery in the cradle, but one does not. hmmmm Fred W told me of a diagnostic I can use to look at GPS parameters and it does show the battery charging, but another diagnostic says battery "suspended"?? Don't know what that is. I have three batteries which all seem to charge ok in both GPSs when hooked to the USB cable but only one GPS charges the batteries in the cradle. I haven't had any luck posting in the Zumo forum, but will call Garmin and talk to them. Anyone every experienced their Zumo not charging in a supposedly good cradle, but with a USB cable?
https://www.wordreference.com/definition/suspendedHere you go..take your pick

Last edited by a moderator:
Smart ass
finger.gif

With my 590, (not sure if its the exact same cradle), I did have some charging issues with the original mount.

Garmin replaced it under warranty. No problems since..

(It wouldn't turn on when the bike was powered up occasionally-Positive line tied into the directional running light).

Last edited by a moderator: