Keyless start?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaBear

Reaction score
I am bending keys and now the bike won't start. Dealer won't cut the key so I'm stuck with lock smiths

I'm looking for a better solution. I know the Concourse has a keyless proximity start feature. Anyone ever try to rig one up for a FJR

Mine is a Gen 2. 2010.

Anyone ever try to rig one up for a FJR
What did you search on? I found an existing thread on the subject in about 4 seconds by searching on keyless.

Last edited by a moderator:
If keys are bending, I think it is likely that the lock cylinder needs to be properly cleaned and lubricated. While the Yamaha keys are pretty soft, I am still using the original key on my bike. Lots of miles on it too. I would be afraid that a key that is too tough would be more likely to cause additional wear or damage to the cylinder mechanism.

Yes, the solution here is to stop bending the keys.

Adding an electronic device to unlock the bike's ignition is just asking for more problems than you already have,

Here's my solution..
not_i.gif

DeathValleyFeb2007018.jpg

Get an ilco key from any locksmith. They are stronger and will not bend easily.
Yep. People need to realize that keys are a wear item. Get some factory cut keys if you can and put them up, only to be used to make copies. My OEM keys- one used about 4 times, the other never used- make perfect copies every time. I too use ilco keys and can bend them if I work at it. The real solution is lock maintenance.

The cool thing you can do with an ILCO key blank is something like this...

IMG_0128_zpse946c6fd.jpg

It makes it easier to find that damn key hole on a dark and moonless night. All it takes is a vise, a file, some model glue, and a bit of finesse.

Brodie

rolleyes.gif

I am under the impression that the keys for a 2015 ES are chipped, therefore you can't get a copy at your local hardware/locksmith. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I am under the impression that the keys for a 2015 ES are chipped, therefore you can't get a copy at your local hardware/locksmith. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I believe it depends on which Ontario you're from. If it's Ontario, OR or Ontario, CA....then not so much. If it's Ontario the province...then Canuckian bikes are different than Yankee bikes.

As for a keyless system, the people I personally know who own a new model Concours say it's an additional cost system that adds costs to maintenance and can be prone to loss of the fob (that is harder to "fix" than a lost key) and failure. I think they said it something like, "A solution to a question no one was asking."

My 2015 key is not chipped, but I am from Georgia. (Georgia the US state, not Georgia the European country.) And my bike is definitely NOT a Yankee bike.

Yan·kee
ˈyaNGkē/
noun
informal

noun: Yankee; plural noun: Yankees;

1. derogatory

a person who lives in, or is from, the US.

2. US

an inhabitant of New England or one of the northern states.

Well, that first definition would be AN ERROR. And I doubt many New York baseball fans would find the term derogatory. Which would be ERROR #2 for the first definition.

No, definition #1 is correct when used by a non-US person, "Yankee" is a derogatory term for all Americans. As in, "Yankee Go Home!"

As for #2, why do you think that True New Englanders* despise the NY Yankees baseball team?

* - A True New Englander is a Red Sox fan, which leaves out the southern part of Connecticut. Many eastern Upstate New Yorkers are Res Sox fans and so consider themselves New Englanders, but they are just terribly confused.
laugh.png

On topic: No Yankees (whether real ones from New England, the faux version from New York, or the derogatory version) have immobilizer chips in their FJR keys.

As for a keyless system, the people I personally know who own a new model Concours say it's an additional cost system that adds costs to maintenance and can be prone to loss of the fob (that is harder to "fix" than a lost key) and failure. I think they said it something like, "A solution to a question no one was asking."
As a Kawasaki forum member at the onset of their keyless system I can say you are exactly right. It was a "feature" no one asked for and no one who had it wanted. IMNSHO kinda like what Yamaha has done to the FJR.

Latest posts