A Big Shot of Color...Before We're Screwed.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomInPA

Reaction score
I unfortunately have a broken shock which is the subject of some 'Broken Clovis" thread. Anyway, our weather here, and the colors are just spectacular in SW Pennsylvania. I decided to put my broken Clevis connector back on the shock and risk a 150 mile color trip today with the Nikon...so colors are well represented.

So this is the culprit that was installed for one last Fall ride, and it held up just fine. Very thankful for that.

8799361F-E525-41C1-9158-CA8C565D1FD5.jpg

It's not necessary to travel. These two pictures are from the driveway and back deck:

DSC_2523%20Copy.jpg

DSC_2524%20Copy.jpg

One feature of my photography is that most of it is done from the seat of the bike. Here is a pond near Sewickly TWP

DSC_2531%20Copy.jpg

And a little further down the road is Bell's Mills road which features a covered bridge...the only one in Westmoreland County where I live.

DSC_2532%20Copy.jpg

DSC_2534%20Copy.jpg

DSC_2535%20Copy.jpg

Just past the bridge on Turkeytown Road is a beautiful old farm, where the geese, ducks and cows are enjoying a late-season swim.

DSC_2536%20Copy.jpg

DSC_2537%20Copy.jpg

DSC_2538%20Copy.jpg

Turkeytown Road is great for color.

DSC_2540%20Copy.jpg

A little further south approaching Layton, we go through a tunnel for a defunct rail crossing and go over the Layton one-lane bridge over the Youghiogheny River.

DSC_2544%20Copy.jpg

DSC_2545%20Copy.jpg

DSC_2546%20Copy.jpg

Banning Road is a nice curvy route to take.

DSC_2550%20Copy.jpg

No Fall color, but the James Cochran house in Dawson, PA was built around 1890 by a coal and coke baron. It is by far the most impressive structure in Dawson, along the Youghiogheny River. Currently a B&B.

DSC_2552%20Copy.jpg

Moving back towards home, I diverted to the town of Export PA. Like I said, color is just as good at home as anywhere.

DSC_2558%20Copy.jpg

DSC_2559%20Copy.jpg

DSC_2563%20Copy.jpg

That's all folks. Now I gotta gas up the leaf blower and get ready for the consequences of all this color.

Great pics Tom. Thanks for taking the chance. I had a broken clevis too. Penske shipped me a new one for free. The Penske Rep said it was due to over torquing the nut. I didn't to the work and the shop that did the work won't ever touch my bike again.

Great pics Tom. Thanks for taking the chance. I had a broken clevis too. Penske shipped me a new one for free. The Penske Rep said it was due to over torquing the nut. I didn't to the work and the shop that did the work won't ever touch my bike again.
I'm getting the new part under warranty. I think it is in the design and Penske would rather warranty than recall. Every other shock clevis has a radius on the top of the clevis leading to the stress point, while the Penske is dead flat with the final radius of the thread cut into the top. The design of the relay arm and spacer/ metal race prevent the clevis from being over-tightened. The FSM spec is 29 ft-lbs. I doubt it's anything to do with tightening.

Nice ride and pics Tom...now get that clevis replaced!
--G
It's in the mail! I just wanted to ride before the weather turned and we lost the color.

Thanks for taking us along Tom. Great Pics!
Always a pleasure riding and eating pie with yinz.

Tom, thanks for posting these. We just passed through the area (first week of October) and saw much of that from our 6 wheel steed. Colors were best in VT, NH & MA, but a tad bit green in PA, VA & TN. We heard from every local we spoke with that this year was unusually late, but we've enjoyed awesome weather and scenery. I've missed my FJR so many times on the trip, I'd rather not think about it.........

Beautiful pics there OP. I grew up in southern Ontario (not too far north of you), and really miss the fall colours every autumn since I moved to western Canada 30 years past.

Nice pics, Tom. Fall hit the foothills hard here a couple days ago. Rain, but not colors like you got.

Tom, thanks for posting these. We just passed through the area (first week of October) and saw much of that from our 6 wheel steed. Colors were best in VT, NH & MA, but a tad bit green in PA, VA & TN. We heard from every local we spoke with that this year was unusually late, but we've enjoyed awesome weather and scenery. I've missed my FJR so many times on the trip, I'd rather not think about it.........
So that's where you two are! Just buy an FJR again, ferchrissakes!!! Maybe you can still get that Muzzy system if you don't dawdle!