Tire Wear Patterns Explained - Dave Moss

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting article and pictures but I think it only applies to track tires in a track environment. I have never seen any of those wear patterns in any of the 150-200 tires I have changed in the last 10 years.

None of what he says in the article makes any sense from a physics cause and effect standpoint.

He says X wear is caused by Y suspension problem, but the suspension causes don't make any sense for the tire wear effects.

I struggle with the article too..... maybe some of it if the suspension was set up very poorly, maybe as some of it applies to race bikes with soft compounds.... never seen those patterns on any of mine either. His approach to suspension adjustment is a little different too.

Wear patterns seen on street bikes ridden by mere mortals is due to the rolling radius of the contact patch is not the same from left to right side.

By rolling radius I am referring to the shortest distance to axle from every point of contact with the road. It's different due to rounded tread used by motorcycles. Because it is different every point in the contact patch is moving at a different rate. Something has to slide.

Greater tire pressure will make the contact patch narrower resulting in a lesser speed difference for less scrubbing. The tire will also be stiffer so less flex which means the wear will be more even, less scalloping or feathering.

How does this article relate to the wear patterns in my car tire?

blinksmiley.gif