Hyperpro for 2009

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerlinger

Reaction score
Morning all, Having recently purchased a used '09 with 13k 3 weeks ago I have ordered new suspension from Hyperpro. Have put 1500 miles on it in the last two weeks mostly with my petite wife and daughters ripping up and down the N. GA roads out of Suches and Dahlonega. My last street bike was/is a '95 R11GS, my other bikes were R6 & 748 used on the track. So needless to say the FJR is a bit of a different animal, haven't had a street bike with this type of power ever and I'm truly loving it, so is my wife, she understood immediately why the upgrade after one run thru the gearbox!

I wasn't sure I wanted to invest this amount of cash into the bike so quickly but at my pace with wife/luggage it was immediately apparent how woefully inadequate the stock suspension is. It dives and wants to tuck the front much too quickly and wallows at both ends mid corner and especially at corner exit when hard on the gas in 2nd gear. It has very poor feed back when HARD on the brakes. I'm sure stiffening up both ends will do the trick. At this point i'm not anticipating requiring messing with fork valving, again trying to stay within a reasonable budget for a bike i'll be lucky to ride 10k on a year.

I decided to give Hyperpro a shot as I've had Ohlins on my race bikes, currently have Ohlins on my GS, never have tried Penske and I know their new stuff is as good as Ohlins. Plus Hyperpro is priced right for my budget, under $700 w/fork oil, shipping not included. I had several nice email conversations with Klaus at EPM, he recommended their 460 shock and fork springs for my weight/w/passenger & riding style. I decided against the remote preload adjuster (heck i don't use it on my GS) and decided against the high end multi adjustment shock, too much fiddling for me. I'm actually not anticipating much adjustment to the preload as i'm lazy. However will evaluate when i have time with and w/o passenger/luggage.

I'm hoping to install prior to a trip at the end of this month where we'll be back up in N. GA, NC & TN. Also will be spooning on a new set of Metzler Roadtec 01s. When I bought the bike I immediately had to install a front tire, the shop I went to only had a standard Michelin Pilot Power (not the 2 compound Power 2ct) , i used this tire 5+ years ago on my R6 as a cold weather track tire, I know its not a recommend tire for our bikes, but man does it work great. Zero traction issues at ridiculous speeds, it is showing slight cupping at 1500 miles...fantastic tire and they are cheap out there. I will also install a new set of EBC HH pads up front.

I'll post up a review after install

I'm new to this site and appreciate the excellent content you all have provided, thanks!

Kirk

Wasn't quite prepared for the effort it took to remove OEM shock w/ABS plumbing, what a PITA...I'm used to working on dirtbike and race bikes...found great info on else where on this forum that was of great help!; i.e., unbolting ABS "tray" and moving out of way to get to top shock mount bolt.

Fork removal was staight forward, didn't remove fairing.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/O0THsmopms3kVjPXGtLm2YwVpb4WQonOqQwM1QI79TXSpRlWCW4cJjG9iT7YLMyOzuN9XNfU_nYuFuEdRvEsLe06OHlqDG2le0aPvVyipp98mKYlYJt5FOIPq5Q5cNnlJLviS-pFooP5WOebWqM-qM-Cx93T5Abv1-l-77-bZkzTQj2l_kZlCk2_4OFBOkuPpulOf9jt73Uu1-EQHGHGSyJzwxIlIk_RNUE69OoPbeCFJvyiesbAf0yxdcoQ4zwD9yPATcStYlc7rrZhKihrlXefnbqTtEKbX4PAsS0ozIgjqTpFuFT22EmLy4rZOzD4YkaJAKrRJ-aWTja-f_4izaVaIULlzNolmtQL0QBeltOhDvCRANPsa73YtNKoNeGzeHs_dhhicCo63vIWZcUONYJT90b5cgnAEkL_ASrTycMnRirMOoWdKDCeQexzgU9sp8Gs2t1ZfP1RCGrTA-ClvRrx1uJ28zPEpksu1PCRVZV6uEhuZcIepNa3ihr8yECBedDuBGTpfVeFySqOHzioTiN7NVGF0gOyqAgVfiDbh0v7GmtXTJzC1jkZhk36yhwU4qB9Zm2J8OkQTgjKXGDAejoa9QI2mWpjNDa51OGln77aYz75=w1202-h676-no

Rode around the block, very firm...mounted new Metzler Roadtec 01 tires as well...noticed immediate difference over Michelin Pilot Power (not designed for the weight of FJR style bikes, much softer carcass than GT front Metzler).

Will be riding Cherahola Skyway, Blue Ridge Parkway and other great roads in NC, GA this weekend and am looking forward to evaluating the performance of new suspension.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/EDKUNXYZOEYYBdkkqkwPwSlfFvIp11R2L8AqQsnmMTir8AP7cb00jwu334NrHbLuvuLl8PreE2AFTg2UNlItWrOUvF95liF5d782dUylULNv9vJYJRUPA5KWrFrrDuPkm_j4AtAIzdQZj0KtYDCsd1xNcCVDVqaL5EAciJ6MTfsXzVfWzCGtngAVHe2aPPwYTX_7fL1jCJQl1wbCLnY_yMWJDUzZzAHYp70ZSeSU_loO9yTXm8Wssj55AIrUzcfi817vwO_C_clkvCq626XwRY55JiFvBTbNhkvzXYA58jWQODme65qP5A00zXktkzboGurHVRWtfT4TMFF0FEMAuguEHaLHAzlEbRQn41a340qB72cxZiX2V6NYH_Na2AxxvilzFhPfN7KoQP45wVwNc2kEJRoIBMa9zboZuUE8KebVRGLUWSLxIf7HDj6I62dE7gqoyxdD1vOAlrP0fFKyRrHU14k-3Nv2WE_eoB3uoMgbFCi-5DF6b-g6EH7sjF69NF377OoZwr2S6Bm-gS2uyPLanKpZMudq1V1uVNlo4m2bxqK3hWCqC04DJ7fxYjlOVJgiVthi1QCRNfQ2Dv9xdLragelP64BpNTBQoiSmleaf2D4vF5=w381-h676-no

OEM fork spring with new HyperPro spring, removed OEM preload spacer. used 15w oil at 230mm, approximately 500ml, removed approximately 630lm of original oil.

New shock, nice presentation I wasn't expecting this nice case.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/HtJUvkQuW3zX7RJo-kLzd2NNygA5yqCNysO-GSjTqgJfTtUSd9LjKJZndjv8_LA9P4t9piS_bciT38vFsTvVnfDSHdSwFPIR8C4BUdWt-klChy7ID_cv2YsQLOmVMArSYToDqbNAS-0iyKzTh_pp3SRQP5R0SOrlllGk3UUJ9idpyjDeume6ycJIbVvqUR9Jw1vcRIqk1IxPstPWGwrMrsr6dw84eYZ0Z1HUA8myIDXgGcDHt6dhcvc2RNzjQyYCASVJvO3_-S9O01AZuu8W6iiFC1-PZh6LTpcIF0hvLOM7PJA0LfrIdE7iPwN5iGX6KywSIMjfL3ShMC9GW3ZugAbNZERHBtpshROQZ6yQctz1Qi-_zMRWY10FlrO9t1JLCD6u4gMlWQv08ADIa23FeS3vYnQy4QqlTCHcr2E-F8kV4f9ypU4iAO0K-nDHFCBsiuS1gOMEzDQGxCEdaJuadFswBufXIFYCBooCljN-G_ZziJ2iPtOWL1Sj_yzXfWuhoS3gh5Cx1MY8EVcpDwQxpWJ3QEhTHWnnfDj0jVBzHh3d_a7E75uBWMp5a4ih-95rpviGfNQQquWrP02N2984ZI0SE4rBU75vsXCHSTeBqA3MsV1J=w1202-h676-no

Installed

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/sTwAF5Q1jBfSEqvX-HRV9knn02RMSgljKkuNwXRkB94a-EjT4oWoxYN4JLbhUQJqVZ6PQ_sMfPA84rq9luSGRTku0rVisj2hIr_YCOHbneLQKxZtEsxjWPoBKFnUS12DlC0ZPm-xJy5K1AeWO1xnWoDajYyAwx0VdiIstQHQTCgY5EeDZ6aP96b7F9hvOHUGKnCucJfSdTgSTYry-aZFiICBvjNTzFe6bupXcCKGQWtc5GTgDi8-Qcx6UgHnEE7hk_SyFh3no9KSPdFnfV1gmv3H-UTKMwgRPOW_TynY1p859yUZYULVwF6j-kfMqDoynhV0XJg1AN8npIDqipLkAY9QZF4elYJtT7X1JQYB--Db4Q_xCL2tENm-8noSuxeEnGzyfs4lTfDKUvvdQ04n9qATNcEE5XvbYfDDzhr2G74diJHuhZbqDItWJ9BX-10FuyE8eFROpGBbniZrFtMXb0uC713ANt6R9pAU86ecoD5dxM1kVeT8NZZmVWTgAMaDTiL32HF9ovtVh_ST8fUxyJCy6D0o_OkUBT_JinNXwMH4s1jU3bc4cXQuEvQPj2MVKYfHEB4fq4TvL9kRwwSFcJ6oxtcjwELDVUgUw6g-O30Ajscz=w381-h676-no

Last edited by a moderator:
I know the thread is about the shock but pay close attention to your impressions about the new tires. We like tire reports.
punk.gif

I have a Penske on my track bike, good shock too.

Rode 700+ miles since Saturday in TN, NC & N.GA....a few new roads, hwy 68 South out of Tellico Plains & Cherahola, then back on Hwys 60, 19 & 180 near Suches/Dahlonega, GA. All miles ridden w/130 lb passenger w/no luggage. Forks were set to recommended settings from Klaus at EPM, I completely forgot to check settings on Shock, shame on me. But zero changes were needed so I haven't touched anything. Perhaps next time out riding solo I'll make a few adjustments.

First impression of new Hyperpro suspension was a very firm ride, not harsh though, maybe a little stiff on expansion joints but no issue to me or passenger. Many roads we were on were new to me so we weren't pushing hard at all. Maintaining 65-70mph pace on straights and aggressively charging into the corners. As I mentioned in above post the new Metzler RoadTec 01 front tire gave a firmer quicker steering feel than the previous Michelin Pilot Power (non Grand Touring tire).

While on these 'new to me roads' I never found myself in trouble, especially on the many slower 15/20 mph corners...when I ran wide it was due to my error. The suspension reacted to late trail breaking very positively, rarely trying to stand up on me. It held its line on all medium to high speed corners and gave much confidence when making mid line cornering changes, at all times the front felt planted. When we were back in Suches on roads I knew well I was able to run harder with again little or no issues, on corners where I once experienced "wallowing" or ground clearance issues there were NONE! This was the real test to me and it passed with flying colors. Charging up Hwy 19 the bike handled great, this is where I was experiencing quite a bit of 'wallowing', lots of quick change of direction at high speeds, I was very pleased!

In closing I am extremely satisfied with both the Hyperpro 460 Shock and fork springs, I agree w/Klaus that the front does not require valving changes. For less than $700 for both, including 1 qt 15w fork oil AND first Shock servicing included I believe this is an excellent value!! I highly recommend Hyperpro.

As far as the new Metzler RoadTec 01s, i'm also very pleased. The rear tires shows some feathering on the shoulders after 700+ miles, when I checked PSI yesterday morning I was at 37/38 rear, not the recommended 42, next time out I will set tires at OEM recommended PSI. I usually don't spend too much time sharing my tire views as everyone's evaluations are different. I just ask for traction in dry and wet, predictability and excellent feedback at my pace. I've always been a fan of Metzler and Pirellis.

Thanks,

Kirk

Kirk, thanks for this great write up. I was thinking about suspension upgrade as well. And the budget you set seems quite alluring. You had Both forks and shock under 700? Or did u mean just the shock ?

If you don't mind me asking how much do you weigh? When setting up springs For shock did u take into account passenger weight

Removing shocks with abs heard horror stories about head ache :) wonder if a mechanical novice like me can handle this job?

Ps: can't see the pics :(

kerlinger

Glad you like it. Your experience with Hyperpro was the same as mine.

I opted for their suspension setup with the remote pre load adjustment on my (now sold) 2003 and couldn't have been happier.

This after going through the oem rear suspension which crapped out at 20k, and another aftermarket from WORKS which had 20k on it when I sold it to upgrade to Hyperpro.

I had 30k miles on the Hyperpro when I sold the bike and it was still performing flawlessly.

Fjr doc....yes under $700 for everything, including neat plastic box & fork oil.... fantastic value!

I'm 190, wife 130....I asked Klaus to build shock for two up with luggage and very aggressive riding style. We were back up in Suches,GA this weekend and I got to ride twice solo, shock might be too stiff riding solo, I was too lazy to make any adjustments. Bike handles great, I am very happy with Hyperpro! Rear shock install with ABS is difficult. If you choose HP, please tell Klaus you spoke with me.

Thx & good luck!!

Kirk

Fjr doc....yes under $700 for everything, including neat plastic box & fork oil.... fantastic value!I'm 190, wife 130....I asked Klaus to build shock for two up with luggage and very aggressive riding style. We were back up in Suches,GA this weekend and I got to ride twice solo, shock might be too stiff riding solo, I was too lazy to make any adjustments. Bike handles great, I am very happy with Hyperpro! Rear shock install with ABS is difficult. If you choose HP, please tell Klaus you spoke with me.

Thx & good luck!!

Kirk
Great, thx again. Okay last couple questions I promise :) ... Does the shock have remote preload? any model number or stuff?

Fjr doc....yes under $700 for everything, including neat plastic box & fork oil.... fantastic value!

I'm 190, wife 130....I asked Klaus to build shock for two up with luggage and very aggressive riding style. We were back up in Suches,GA this weekend and I got to ride twice solo, shock might be too stiff riding solo, I was too lazy to make any adjustments. Bike handles great, I am very happy with Hyperpro! Rear shock install with ABS is difficult. If you choose HP, please tell Klaus you spoke with me.

Thx & good luck!!

Kirk
Great, thx again. Okay last couple questions I promise
smile.png
... Does the shock have remote preload? any model number or stuff?
NP, i went w/o the remote preload, I rarely use it on my R11GS and removed them off my race bikes....Model 460, Klaus and Dee will walk you thru the options if you call them up...basically it's there bare bones shock, however is built custom to your needs.

After riding solo this wkend I can see that i'd need to soften it, but the wrench they provide will do the trick.

Have fun,

K

OEM fork spring with new HyperPro spring, removed OEM preload spacer. used 15w oil at 230mm, approximately 500ml, removed approximately 630lm of original oil.
I'm curious, what rate springs did you install in the forks, and what were you trying to accomplish by using such a heavy weight suspension fluid? The OEM Yamaha fork oil is a 3 weight oil. Using 15W oil is going to increase the damping across the board, both compression and rebound, in both the adjustable slow circuits and the non-adjustable fast circuits of the cartridges.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm curious, what rate springs did you install in the forks, and what were you trying to accomplish by using such a heavy weight suspension fluid? The OEM Yamaha fork oil is a 3 weight oil. Using 15W oil is going to increase the damping across the board, both compression and rebound, in both the adjustable slow circuits and the non-adjustable fast circuits of the cartridges.
Thx for the comment;

For me with my riding experience I tend to listen to my suspension people, and I have been very lucky to have done business with some excellent companies. Obviously suspension is very subjective similar to tire preference.

I called and spoke to Klaus at EPM, gave him the details on my riding style and expectations...he then supplied me with shock and fork springs for my needs. I"m not sure what spring rate the fork springs are, they are progressive wound.

This set up is working as expected and I am extremely pleased. I see FJR riders using 10wt oil, I also see FJR riders dropping almost $1k on AK 20 fork valving, and I know Max.

With my budget on a 7 year old bike, for $700 bucks I rec'd exactly what I was looking for. If anything I need to make a few more adjustments to the shock, rebound is a little quicker than i'd like and preload is stiff solo. I have zero complaints with the front, and I was hammering over some nasty asphalt this weekend, rebound was perfect...also when HARD on the brakes.

Thanks for the reply back.

I don't know "Klaus" or what familiarity he has with FJR suspensions, but I would not have made the same choices that he made for you on your front end. That said, as long as it is working for you and you are happy with the result, that is all that really matters.

FWIW - I installed GP suspension's replacement valving (both compression and rebound) in my old 2005 A model's forks, which cost me only ~ $300 for the valves and springs during a winter group buy a few years back, and I would say that was money well spent. I did install them myself, which was how I was able to do it on such a frugal budget. Labor is the killer when it comes to suspension work. That and a used Penske shock that I sent off to GP for refreshing and that bike handled very well for the 650 lb bike that it is.

PS - What one classifies as "nasty" asphalt surely varies widely by locale. Around here it's all nasty. It's that freeze thaw thing that happens every winter. It's why bikes like your old GS or my 2nd bike (a DL1000 Vstrom) are so popular around here. ;)