Gen II running hotter than normal

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRGTSPilot

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

New to the forum, I have an '06 GenII that has recently begun running a lot warmer than normal. I've seen as high as 8 bars when stuck in traffic. Bike does cool back to normal 4 bars once enough air runs through the bike. Issue is the fans at first seemed to not be working. Therefore, I've removed the sides and nose to get at the fan relay since that seems to be a common theme here. Bike passes the Diag 51 test fans run. However, if you run the bike with everything off, goes to 7 bars for a bit, then fans finally kick in likely just before going to 8 bars but run only a minute, to 90 seconds tops, then stop, bike only barely cools to 6 bars and idling will be back to 7 bars in just a minute or so. Previously fans would normally run until the bike got back to 4 or 5 bars before cutting off and before bike normally cycled between 4-6 bars, and would only get in the 7-8 bar range on really warm days going really slow or stuck in rush hour traffic. I swapped the two identical relays beside each other, no change in fan operation or temp indication. Not sure where to proceed next, I assume the sensor but with the dash reading I would think it's ok, but perhaps not. Any other ideas? I may just replace the relays (since they've been know to be problematic) and the sensor since I have it all apart currently.

My '09 was doing similar things this past spring. Since I was due to change the coolant, I put a new thermostat in and all was good after. Probably a 45 minute job.

FYI, parts finally arrived, believe it was the thermostat going out. Just tested, bike warmed to 5 bars, then appears thermostat opened as it went back to 4 bars for quite a bit, then slowly progressed back to 5 bars, at 7 bars for about a minute then fans came on, cooled to 6 bars and fans cut off. Took it much longer to get to this point (nearly 10 mins) than before so think the thermostat was starting to go. I've also replaced the fan and headlight relays since they are the same and lots of mentions about them failing in other posts, so I'll carry the old ones in the bag just in case. I'll take pics of the relays and their locations to post later as I could not find this info searching about. I'll take pics before I put the nose back on the bike, as well as check the ground spiders I found under the nose. Thanks...