Leaking Cooling system

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just bought a 2005 Gen 1 FJR. I can trace where the coolant leak is coming from but it looks like the water pump in the right hand side.

Anyone else had this issue? It does not look like it is the gasket and all the clamps are tight.

The bike only had 30,000 mile (47Km)

Well the water pump is encased with hose connections, and the gasket, so I doubt it is leaking from the case. The most likely spot for a leak is from the tubes on top of the head where the thermostat is located. Maybe something is trickling down from there? Do you smell coolant, or see it leaking?

I smell coolant and see it leaking. I don't have a Manual but the best I can tell it is no where close to the thermostat or head. I can smell it and see it dripping after it has trickled down. Cannot find the source.

It's frustrating when antifreeze seems to go everywhere once there's a leak. Hard to tell exactly what you're seeing without actually being there, but an old trick is to get the system hot, then quickly wash and blow dry the area in question, restart, then look and feel for the leak when the system pressurizes again.

Also try doing a google search of this forum...

site:fjrforum.com water pump leak

Gary

Last edited by a moderator:
Check and tighten ALL coolant hose clamps...

They do loosen up with the many heat cycles, etc.

Also, look for any corrosion where a hose attaches to an aluminum fitting.

If found, that would need to be cleaned spotless, etc..