Motoport USA clothing experiences....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeames

Reaction score
Have any of you bought, or had custom made clothing made by https://www.motoport.com/

Seems like they are up on the technology using kevlar and other fibers to enhance their jackets and pants. I'd like to here from anyone who has actually bought any of their products, especially if you had a garment custom made.

Thanks all!

I've got the 1000D Cordura overpants, and love them. I use them all year. The only little problem is, that I have to take the pants off, if I need to put the rain liners on. But in cooler temps I put the liner on first.

Yep, two full 2 piece suits - Kevlar mesh, Riva jackets, quad armor upgrades. Mine was made in 2009, hers in 2010. Just about to send the women's suit in to be rebuilt - originally built in 2010 for a slender 5'7" ex-GF (worn maybe 15 times) to be refitted/rebuilt for slender 5'4" current GF. The suits and the original fittings were outstanding, as is the customer service in my experience. Enough so that I'm not concerned with the refit/rebuild.

IMO, while very pricey, the suits are the most versatile and best protection available for my needs. Just really pay attention to all the fitting measurement guidelines on the Motoport site in providing them the measurements necessary to build the suit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got the 1000D Cordura overpants, and love them. I use them all year. The only little problem is, that I have to take the pants off, if I need to put the rain liners on. But in cooler temps I put the liner on first.
Same here but I put my rain pants (frog toggs) over the top.

Had a set of mesh pants and jacket for several years, good stuff. Changed direction after finding a killer deal on a stretch kevlar jacket and this winter, I'm springing for a set of matching stretch pants.

Quality components and protection, well built but could use a styling update. I use mine for dry, warm/moderate weather riding. IMHO Motoport liners don't work worth a damn for anything approaching PNW wet weather. For that, plan on rain gear over the top or alternative waterproof gear.

YMMV

--G

Customer since 2004. Bought my first real set of riding pants from them because they will custom size ANYONE. I'm 6'11" with a 38" inseam... bought a set of Kevlar Ultra II pants... sort of a thick semi-stretchy pant that breathes well but is not water-proof. Didn't wear them much at first as my commuting and riding was minimal (young kids) but for the last 6-7 yrs I've worn them daily, 4-5 days a week, rain or shine (they're water resistant enough for my 16 mile, 30 min commute and I treat them with some spray stuff). I finally had them repaired this past summer.... just wear and tear, no crashes. New leg zippers and velcro, new waist band and belt loops etc... they feel like new and the repair was about $125 and took about 10 days. Too easy and they continue to be my daily pants. I remember they felt rather heavy when I first bought them that soon disappears once you're on the bike... they are also very easy to take on and off.. but when new, that velcro they use is really heavy duty! I also have a set of Aerostich AD1's as my true rain pants... but I may have reached their limit on inseam as they're a little short when I'm on the bike (knee bend).

Regards,

Mr. BR

Owned three suits, which I still have. Crashed at 60+mph in one, and it saved me from serious injury. I won't wear anything else. The crashed suit was repairedand you'd never know. Unlike EscapeArtist, my goretex liners work great in the rain torrents we get in the PNW. Buy it and cry only once when you write the check.

Forest rat crash tested my riva stretch Kevlar suit at 55 with pants and jacket ZIPPED together. Saved my arse from any road rash, had the suit repaired and wore it for a few more years. Just replaced it with the same but the older suit has better features. Both Escapefirst and Hudson are correct, needs up dating but really good gear. Be sure to get your measurements correct to avoid alterations and shipping charges. My new suit had a zipper freeze up, fixed it at no charge.

I also had an FJR-totaling wreck while wearing my M/P 2-piece kevlar mesh--with whatever armor inserts come standard. The bike and I went tumbling over a bunch of fairly large (football-sized or so) broken granite rocks. Meaning lots of sharp--and hard--edges. Bike pretty shredded, me with only one bruise. But it went from somewhere above my ankles to my armpits. I can't complain about that; it was a hard fall. But not ONE scratch, cut, or abrasion. Just bruises from the thumping. And virtually NO damage to the suit. Still wearing it with no repairs needed at least 8 years later. That's the good part.

The bad part is, it's really bulky. I recommend a good set of rain gear you can take off or put on as needed, but make sure you get a size big enough to fit over this suit. I don't think it keeps me very warm in the cold or cool in the heat, either. Best away from extremes of temperature. Finally (for the negatives), the liners that I bought extra to go with it aren't worth owning. You can keep warmer and dryer using lots of other liners you already have. The outer rain gear makes a good windbreak, too, if it's cold. You DON'T want to stop and get undressed on the side of the road to put a liners under this gear in the rain.

So, super-protective, not really convenient to wear, and don't pay extra for the rain or cold liners. Sure glad I had it on when I crashed though.

I've got a 2pc set. Great gear. Two big compliants though. First, as mentioned, bulky. You don't notice it on the bike though. Second, and something nobody has mentioned, it's EXTREMELY abrasive. If you don't have tank protection everywhere where you legs touch, your going badly scuff your tank. I have a Russel Day Long, expensive, the suit is so abrasive that it's eating away the piping along the edges. Don't like somebody? Lean up against their car and slide across it.

To add my two cents, I bought used pants that were mostly close to my size. Quick trip to motoport via ups and a quick turnaround and they were back good as new. In fact I had a tough time telling they weren't new. I also added the rain liner at that time.

I bought the stretch kevlar pants and the kevlar mesh jacket. Custom made to my body. Love the suits and I did crash test the pants. Pants held up great on a 60 foot skid. The tourmaster jacket I was wearing did not hold up..... Motoport is highly recommended.

Pulled the trigger Friday on a Motoport Marathon Mesh jacket and Ultra II mesh pants.

Got the Quad armor and many of the options on both.

By the time you do that and add charges for custom sizing the bill is very steep to day the least. However based on all the positive word from the riders here and many reassuring emails from Motoport I feel more confident about dropping over $2K for the gear.

They claim it should last a lifetime. Hope it fits!

You will not be disappointed. I have two sets, Ultra II Air Mesh Pants & Jacket, plus the Stretch Street Jeans and Air Mesh Jacket. Both Jackets and Air Mesh Pants have the liners.

To add my 2 cents, my wife and I both wear the motoport gear and love it. She has the stretch kevlar and I have the mesh. I have wind liner and use it all winter with great results. I added the quilted liner with wind liner and have ridden with that combination at 28 degrees and I was comfortable. We have had our suits for five years with no problems. I can't say enough good things about their suits.

Seeing so much positive feedback from the people on this forum was one of the deciding factors in my purchase.

Thank you all for your advice.

Don't like somebody? Lean up against their car and slide across it.
What a great idea!
smile.png