This Happened Trying To Get To SFO 2016

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N4HHE

Reaction score
22.8 miles into 350 miles round trip. Checked everything Wednesday, tires had no visible cracks, 50 PSI as specified. Bearings good. Ready to go, I thought. Heck, I have at least 10,000 miles maybe 20,000 on this trailer with no incidents. Until today.

New Seat Concepts seat on the FJR. New PR4GT on rear of FJR the day before. New jacket and pants from Cycle Gear. And this happens at 65-70 MPH fully loaded with two FJR's. Nothing damaged but the tire.

7_Tire_Failure_2_zpsvcmot9mj.jpg

More pictures at https://s346.photobucket.com/user/dkelly1300/library/Tire%20Failure

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope you found somewhere to ditch the truck and trailer, and continued on your way...

Last edited by a moderator:
There is your karma for hauling FJRs on a trailer.
Just kidding and running for cover.
Well, it was the first time on trailer. The Subaru was new January 6 and has 3100 miles. The FJR was new April 1 and has 10,080 miles. This was to have been the Subaru's longest road trip todate.
Trailer hauled dirtbike 110 miles Sunday, and another 120 on Wednesday. I can't count the number of 150 mile days hauling dirtbikes. And in 2012 it went to 9 of 10 AMA National Enduros. West Louisiana to South Carolina, Missouri, north Pennsylvania. Many other SERA events that year and prior.

Hope you found somewhere to ditch the truck and trailer, and continued on your way...
No, we turned around. The Subaru Outback was moderately full of stuff "for a comfortable weekend".
Decided if one tire fails in 22.8 miles then I can't trust it's sisters without spare for another 325 miles. 13" trailer tires are not the easiest to find, have always had to order in the past.

No, we turned around. The Subaru Outback was moderately full of stuff "for a comfortable weekend".

Decided if one tire fails in 22.8 miles then I can't trust it's sisters without spare for another 325 miles. 13" trailer tires are not the easiest to find, have always had to order in the past.
Well, that kinda sucks.

Sorry to hear this. We are all in the barn having a grand time. Thanks to Turk and his wife. They are over the top awesome hosts.

That's going to take at least a couple of sticky strings to plug it!

Hard to figure why unless the tire was running at too low pressure or the wheel bearing locked up. Lucky you didn't lose the cargo!

Sorry to hear and see this occur. Perhaps this happened because the tires are aged. Sorry this happened and thrilled no other damage occurred.

That's going to take at least a couple of sticky strings to plug it!Hard to figure why unless the tire was running at too low pressure or the wheel bearing locked up. Lucky you didn't lose the cargo!
I put 50 psi in it an hour prior. Was only down to 45 psi after many months. When the trailer is put up against the wall of my carport this tire was facing west into the afternoon sun. Only thing I can think of. Pretty sure I didn't hit anything on the road. I checked for cracks, nails, and wheel bearings on Wednesday before a 125 mile trip with dirtbike.