Fall Foilage History Lesson

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BkerChuck

Second hand vegetarian
Reaction score
The plan started out simple enough, a nice fall foliage ride with a small group of friends. I keep in touch through Facebook with some former coworkers who have remained friends and share a common interest in vintage bikes. Three of these friends share a FB page they use to promote a couple of small bike shows each year and to organize a few rides for like-minded individuals. A post was put up a couple of weeks back to gauge the interest in putting on a fall foliage ride through central PA to check out the changing leaves and grab lunch somewhere along the way. Saturday October 29th was picked along with a meeting place and rough plan of a nice scenic route. The weather forecast called for above average temps and no rain so with Mona out of town I decided to attend.

Weather forecasters were calling for highs in the 70’s in the afternoon but the morning temps were nowhere near that. At 38 degrees or so I knew I was going to want my heated jacket liner and so which bike I would ride became obvious. Ordinarily when going out with this group I have a 1977 Honda CB400F SuperSport that would be my bike of choice. A nearly 40 year old and slightly anemic electrical system isn’t really conducive to heated gear and my Buell is parked with a blown oil seal I haven’t gotten around to fixing just yet. Guess I’ll just have to ride the FJR.

CB400F%20031_zpspc7di45e.jpg

Buell%20001_zpsb9lgxc5f.jpg

Early to the meeting spot I grab a cup of coffee and a breakfast sandwich and wait for the rest of the group. Riders trickle in over the next half hour or so and after everyone gasses up and a quick rider’s meeting we’re off. On a ride like this involving vintage and antique bikes our pace is a little slower and shorter than my normal rides. Today it’s more about smiles than miles and the camaraderie of like-minded friends so I’m okay with that. We start off with 8 bikes and after lunch 2 riders split off to honor other family commitments. The group leader has laid out a nice route through some state parks and I opt to be the sweep rider hanging back in case anyone has trouble.

PA290018_zpsr9fxrjuw.jpg

My friend Matt Harbaugh's '70s Honda 450 hardtail chopper. This bike was originally built for a member of Jimi Hendrix band.

PA290019_zpsthbrqzca.jpg

This BMW R75/5 has been in the same family and passed from father to son since purchased new.

I’ve ridden most of these roads before and as we cruise along I find myself wondering why I haven’t ridden them lately. At one point alongside the road I spot a Historical Highway Marker I’ve never seen before. Since Mona and I started rallying and these are often used as bonus locations I’ve paid more attention to them and this one caught my eye. I can’t really stop since I’m on a group ride so I realize the only option available to me is…..I’ll have to come back tomorrow!

PA290023_zpspeczqiwe.jpg

Roadside bio break.

Sunday’s forecast calls for even warmer weather and I fully intend to take advantage of it. I have a rough plan of where I want to ride and a realization that some of the forum members might just enjoy seeing some of my part of the country. I modify the route from Saturday to include a few other sights that I’ve passed often but never stopped for pictures. With time and weather in my favor I’ll rectify that. First off is the historical Round Barn near Arendtsville. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been by here but never stopped. Our ride yesterday missed this but I wanted to see it hence the change in plan from yesterday.

PA300025_zpszmiizq4y.jpg

PA300027_zpsu2kibwcz.jpg

PA300028_zpsouees41a.jpg

PA300033_zpshdhfqh2m.jpg

PA300035_zps2emyaqfo.jpg

I probably should have put the top box on today!

PA300039_zpsnvnfagec.jpg

Not far from the barn I stop near the entrance to Caledonia State Park and the entrance to the Michaux State Forest. I’ve been here before for picnics and short hikes but it’s been quite some time since I’ve stopped to really look around. This is also where I’ll hop on PA RT233 a road I’d sampled yesterday and one of my favorite places to ride. This section will carry me about 16 miles to Pine Grove Furnace State Park. RT233 is a great road for motorcycles with lots of turns and a well maintained surface through forest lands line with hunting camps and cabins. Watch out for the forest rats though. I’ve had a few cross my path on this road and I’m well aware of what happens if you make contact.

PA300040_zpszs80twek.jpg

PA300044_zpswh0kgcty.jpg

The old furnace.

PA300048_zpsfpqasfe4.jpg

I did say there would be foliage. This small pond is just after I turn onto RT233.

PA300050_zpstk0civkh.jpg

PA300052_zps0vslnk9q.jpg

Part of why this road is a favorite with riders.

This sign is the reason I felt compelled to return. I was able to read the main caption yesterday and it piqued my interest to the point I had to learn more. A WWII POW camp secretly maintained here? About an hour from my home? My history teacher never told me about this! Taking the side road I can find the location but apparently the state doesn’t want me to ride back any further than this. PA is lucky I don’t have a Tenere or KLR.

PA300056_zpseifitpd4.jpg

PA300057_zpsmujesaxt.jpg

PA300058_zpszpllprvc.jpg

PA300054_zpsveqabsjt.jpg

Cabin for sale. Might need a little work though.

Back on the main road I’ve already planned my next stop just so my fellow forum members can see this. Pine Grove Furnace is the midway point of the entire Appalachian Trail. They’ve recently opened a museum here and I’m going to have to come back again for a tour when I have more time. The general store, closed for the season, is a big hit among through hikers. They have a tradition here that if you can eat a half gallon of ice cream in under an hour you get a special commemorative wooden spoon. These are old school, full 64 oz. half gallons too, not the down sized nonsense from your local grocery store! There is also a trail register here for hikers to leave messages for others they’ve passed on the trail and the store serves as a drop spot for hiker’s families to send supplies for their loved ones to pick up as they pass through.

PA300059_zpsmyt1rzp5.jpg

PA300060_zpsmvguc7kz.jpg

PA300061_zpsgo8x8ish.jpg

Many thru-hikers adopt trail names during their months long journey.

The Ironmaster’s Mansion at one time served as a youth hostel offering beds for the night and hot showers and a real kitchen for hikers to rest up before continuing their journey. Years ago while camping in the state park with Mona’s family we walked down to the hostel and were given a tour by the attendant on duty. This former mansion also served during the Civil War as a stop on the Underground Railroad where escaping slaves were given refuge until arrangements were made to move them further north. In one of the closets on the first floor there is a trap door and ladder leading to a crawl space under the building where they hid for periods of days, up to weeks, until they could safely continue.

PA300063_zpsvbmjew9x.jpg

PA300062_zpsxhu7zqkr.jpg

PA300066_zpsku5agmyp.jpg

PA300067_zpsqlpfcw0u.jpg

Only an IBA ride for us. Wouldn't want to walk it.

PA300069_zpsnsmnlqy7.jpg

Continuing on I pass Fuller Lake, one of two lakes state park visitors can use. The first lake, Laurel Lake had a fairly decent crowd so I rode by without stopping. During the summer both lakes feature swimming areas, beaches, and canoe rentals. My plan called for an ice cream stop nearby but to my dismay the Twirly Top isn’t open on Sunday this late in the season. Rather than mope about it I simply head for home.

PA300072_zpseo0hef9v.jpg

Hope you enjoyed riding along.

PA300035_zps2emyaqfo.jpg

Ahh... old school apple packing. Peck and half peck baskets, sold many of those in the 70's .

Great pictures and report, thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I enjoyed your ride report. PA seems to have much more to offer the touring rider than I originally thought. I shall have to keep this in mind.

The round barn was cool.

IMNSHO, I think the exhaust pipes on your supersport are dead nuts sexy, man.

Pants, You're one of the forum members whose ride reports have inspired me to begin posting some of my own! My time in Louisiana was limited to a few days in New Orleans back in '01 but I'd love to return someday. You've shown all of us here a glimpse into your state, its heritage, food, and scenery that we might never otherwise get to see. Your reports made me open my eyes a little more into some of the beauty and history that surrounds me and having been born and raised here I take for granted.

Within 90 minutes or less of my home is York,PA home of the Harley Davidson final assembly plant and York Barbell supplier of weights and equipment for the US Olympic team.Harrisburg, our state capital. Lancaster, with a very large Amish population. Lebanon, home of Lebanon Bologna and Gettysburg, site of the turning point in the Civil War. These are just the better known names. The ride I took over the weekend is just another small taste. Expanding the radius another 30 minutes I can be in Baltimore,MD or Williamsport, PA home of the Little League World Series. Give me 3 hours and I can reach Philadelphia, Washington D.C., and more. Flight 93 memorial is not far in the grand scheme of riding nor is Johnstown, PA with its history.I guess I really need to step up my game next year!

BTW, thanks for the compliment on the CB400F! That bike was something of a barn find and was bought new by a math teacher at my high school who owned it for about 20 years then one of my wife's friends who owned it for around 8 when I saw it in her garage and first tried to buy it. It took me 3 years to wear her down and cut it loose. Took me another year to get it running and road worthy.

Well sir, you too have the standing offer:

Come down here between November and May. Give me a week or so notice. I'll take you to see whatever you'd like and a few things you hadn't thought of. I'll feed you like a king and put you front and center in the ride report.

No charge....

Very nice man, down here I miss the colored foilage so thanks for the pictures. Awesome bikes, good roads and I can smell the apple store (real apples) from memory.