Helen, Georgia

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Lumberg

Merica
Reaction score
Spent all weekend in Helen, Ga. Normally, going into Helen, you can expect to hit traffic a mile or two out. It can take quite a bit of waiting. Add to that, we've had wildfires in the north Georgia mountains that have regularly produced smoke reaching as far south as Atlanta. The planets aligned. No traffic going into Helen. Just rode right in. Zero smoke. It was like a theme park where everything is still open, but the crowds have left for the season. Much german food and drink was enjoyed. After breakfast at Hofer's Bakery, we headed back. It was sunny, but still below freezing. Good trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice. I tend to avoid this time of year because of the traffic, but if you need to get into town, you can take 75A around from Cleveland - or cut over on Asbestos Rd just past Yonah Burger. That brings you out at the tubing/zip-line place near 356.

Spent many weekends up there over the years..

Oktoberfest is over, yes? Helen gets almost desolate after Thanksgiving.

It was busy during the day. To a casual observer, it might have appeared to be at full capacity from bout 10am-5pm. But to those of us who have seen it in the summer or at Octoberfest, it was damn near a ghost town. Restaurants were well populated, but nowhere did we wait in line. Hotel room and fireplace at home both got used. It got a little cold over the weekend.

We went up to the falls and into the mountains a bit over the summer, but every time I go, most of the time gets spent in town. Which is not bad if you know where to go.

Pterodactyl posted: Sounds like Helen, Georgia is cooler than Helena, Montana.
At any particular moment, Helena is at least 15 degrees cooler than Helen.
coolsmiley02.gif

Sometimes more.. :)

There are great roads there for sure, and I'm thankful to have them in my "back yard", so to speak..